android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 AM

Default Lots of trouble trying to get Zen to connect to Vista

I just bought a Creative Zen 16GB and I can not seem to get it to work with my vista pc at all. I have read through these forums extensively and tried all the many solutions that I have seen and none of them seem to work.

First thing first. When I plug in my Zen when all the software and drivers are uninstalled Vista recognizes the device and automatically starts to install a driver for it. The strange thing is the Zen actually docks while it is installing the driver, so for about 1 min while the driver is installing I can access it. However when the installation is complete then the zen wont work. It doesn't matter whether the install was successful of not the same thing happens. Either way when i plug in my zen after wards vista makes the beeping noise that you get if u plug in a pen driver, but nothing happens. I open the device manager and I see the creative Zen with a yellow exclamation mark next to it. When I double click it I can see this message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

I just tried to plug my zen into my dads windows xp laptop and it worked perfectly with no problems, so i installed the latest firmware hoping that maybe this would improve my luck. Nope, exact same thing keeps happening.

Ive tried to install the driver myself, same thing happens. Ive tried regedit but I never have the same results as others. Ive tried pretty much everything. Please someone help me figure this out, I'm at my wits end. Actually considering buying a copy of xp and getting rid of vista.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Hmm..
I've vista also and no problems.
No idea why it doesn't work for you..
When I plugged my zen in vista recognized the zen immediately and installed the drivers for it.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 AM

OK I figured it out. I used regedit to delete the automatic install for the driver that wasn't working. I also used the admin tools to disable libusb or something I cant remember what it was called. After I did this I uninstalled the Zen and its driver then plugged it back in. Instead of vista recognizing it as a creative Zen it just said MTP device and installed whatever driver with no problems. I can then access my Zen using windows explorer to drag and drop files onto the player. FINALLY hopefully this will help anyone else who is having similar problems. It sure is a lot of trouble just to get a mp3 player to work, a bit disappointed with that creative

Old 05-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good job. Good to hear you got it working. The solution was in the Zen FAQ by the way. The problem had nothing to do with Creative/Zen, but with your computer and the software installed. You would of most likely had the same issue with any other MTP device. That is why the firmware upgrade didn't help and it worked ok on your dad's computer. Oh, and this issue could of been on an XP system just the same, so the OS won't matter as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-12-2008, 03:47 PM

Whenever I try to install my ZEN on my HP windows vista laptop, it says something about that I need an updated version of the easy start CD? What do I do?

Old 12-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome forazcatania. If your running Vista, I wouldn't even think about loading the Creative software. You don't need it. Just plug it in and open up Windows Explorer and start drag-and-dropping files or use Windows Media Explorer. See the Zen FAQ for more info.

Zen FAQ