android
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 AM

True, not fixing the bookmark feature with a new firmware is not the end of the world, but it means I can only use the Pilot or the Sport after combining all audio files of an audio book into one and listening to audio books is almost all I do with either one - and this means I cannot recommend the Sport or the Pilot to any of my friends who are looking to buy either one for listening to audio books. And I suspect that word-of-mouth advertising still carries a lot of weight even nowadays...

Barb

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-26-2008, 06:31 AM

Has anyone heard anything new about when drivers will come out for the pilot?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM

I am anticipating the new firmware, but the bugs present are in no way deal breaking. I use the video player quite often and have almost zero problems. Perhaps if you experience sync issues or video stoppages you should try a different converter? I use mencoder on linux and iriverter (frontend for same) on windows.

I got an mp3 player and popped a 16GB card in it. That's 20GB for $170. To compare, the only ipod with 16GB of flash is currently $400. It's also capable of sending not only its own audio to bluetooth, but also audio from *any source*, which I use constantly. It can record, it has radio, ogg, replaceable battery, 30fps video at full resolution, MSC support for linux and mac, TV-out, etc. Why would anyone return such an insanely full-featured player because it can't display progressive JPEGs as album art or some such nonsense? That's just crazy. I'd probably pay $100 for a bare-bones mp3 player without any of those features that just had SDHC support.

Offtopic: 32G cards are already out, which I hadn't noticed. They're $350 now but so were 16G cards before the prices dropped like stones. I can't imagine using that much storage unless they up the 2000 limit, but I have faith that they will in the next firmware. It's kind of strange that my flash based player can have as much space as my clunky old 3rd generation ipod with hdd.

Last edited by semiquaver; 06-27-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: typos

Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKrak View Post
Has anyone heard anything new about when drivers will come out for the pilot?
Drivers for what? Did you mean firmware?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
I am anticipating the new firmware, but the bugs present are in no way deal breaking. I use the video player quite often and have almost zero problems. Perhaps if you experience sync issues or video stoppages you should try a different converter? I use mencoder on linux and iriverter (frontend for same) on windows.

I got an mp3 player and popped a 16GB card in it. That's 20GB for $170. To compare, the only ipod with 16GB of flash is currently $400. It's also capable of sending not only its own audio to bluetooth, but also audio from *any source*, which I use constantly. It can record, it has radio, ogg, replaceable battery, 30fps video at full resolution, MSC support for linux and mac, TV-out, etc. Why would anyone return such an insanely full-featured player because it can't display progressive JPEGs as album art or some such nonsense? That's just crazy. I'd probably pay $100 for a bare-bones mp3 player without any of those features that just had SDHC support.

Offtopic: 32G cards are already out, which I hadn't noticed. They're $350 now but so were 16G cards before the prices dropped like stones. I can't imagine using that much storage unless they up the 2000 limit, but I have faith that they will in the next firmware. It's kind of strange that my flash based player can have as much space as my clunky old 3rd generation ipod with hdd.
I am right there with you on your take of the features-to-price ratio of the Pilot. I think its a steal and love the bluetooth feature and performance, video capabilities, and SDHC as well. WRT the file number limit, while I agree its something that should get fixed in a firmware update, I can envision using the 32GB card to load up on significant numbers of video content without even coming close to the 2k file limit. With the Pilot being Amazon unbox video compatible, there is something almost surreal about d/l'ing the latest movie or tv series onto the pilot's SD card, going on travel, and being able to hook up the diminutive credit card size device to a full screen TV set in your hotel room or the LCD screen in the family van and watching videos without having to lug around dvd's or even a laptop. Priceless...

Old 06-28-2008, 04:15 PM

The TV Output feature is cool, but it kinda sucks how it drains your battery extremely fast.
which reminds me, it kinda scared me when i first got my Pilot how the first 2 battery bars seemed to go down very fast, but the battery stayed the longest on the last bar and when the battery bar was empty. It'd be nice if that could be changed...but it probably wont be.

Firmware...any day now hopefully?

Old 06-30-2008, 07:20 AM

Looks like firmware for this unit will be the same as the original bluetooth unit...MIA!!!!! I sold that one and got this one. I dont think I will get the "next" version, just due to the lack of support.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Help

From what I understand, someone from Insignia used to be active in the forum and then just went cold. Does anyone here have a connection with the firmware devs @ Insignia. It would good to get some updates.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM

I think the TV-out would last longer if you could turn the backlight off while it's active. That would be a nice feature for the new firmware. I got myself a cheapo usb charger (for a motorola phone) which does the trick, since if you have a tv you have a plug, but I wish it wasn't necessary.

I've also seen the battery behave kind of oddly, dropping immediately to one bar then staying there for ages. I think it may be temperature dependent since it hasn't happened now that it's summer.

If they'd expand the codec support on videos it would be sweet as well, I hate re-encoding the video podcasts I watch since they are are already in the right size, but h.264 is likely too processor intensive. And lots of people put out Zune podcasts which are 320x240 wmvs but don't play on the pilot either.

Either way, sdhc support is the killer feature of this device, and I'm surprised more units don't support it. even Class 6 cards are dirt cheap online (got my 16GB for just over $60 at newegg). using SD means that I can take a card with Insignia videos and immediately play them on the much larger screen on my Nokia N800, if I'm on a train or such.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiquaver View Post
I use mencoder on linux and iriverter (frontend for same) on windows.
I plan to purchase a pilot soon but had a couple questions, hopefully you can help.

1. How big are 30min video files when encoded (or what MB per minute are we looking at)?
2. What command line options do you use with mencoder?

thanks, paul

Old 07-11-2008, 12:22 PM

Cool I'm done with Insignia

My 4 gig pilot is going back to Best Buy today and I'm going to get some other player.

Because...

No firmware upgrade is a problem.

You have to vote with your dollar and buy something else, it's what they understand so this is what I'm doing.

Worst and most of the reason it's going back is the stupid lock up problem. They shouldn't be selling things that are known to not work correctly. Please start a class action lawsuit that I can join.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 PM

Default How?

How will we know if a firmware update becomes available? Where would it be posted?

Old 07-11-2008, 03:21 PM

well usually it is posted at the top of the forum as "NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE" or something like that.

And if it was on the Insignia Products website, the link might look like this
http://www.insignia-products.com/t-N...0Firmware.aspx
(PS, the link works, there's just no firmware there since you can type anything into the area between the 't-' and the '.aspx' in the website URL and it will display a website with that title -_-)

Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 PM

Default Completely Unexceptable

It is totally unacceptable for a company not to fix bugs. Companies who cannot maintain equipment sold into the market place are not viable and look like bankruptcy fodder.

A bug of any type on a product should be fixed. Bugs which prevent functions from running and are not addressed is FRAUD.

Perhaps a class action lawsuit would get there attention.

If you claim video playback but there is no way to sync the video and the voice,then playback is not feature you can market and sell. When this device needs a complete reformat because you know longer can play audio, should be declared on their marketing material, otherwise it is a lie of omission. If there is an "annoying bug " and it is a listed feature or in the spec, it needs to be FIX NOW!

Let us not hold back. I suggest we send email and letters to the CEO office (Both Insignia and Best Buy) demanding they fix this player such that it performs as specified in their marketing materials and product specification.

OR perhaps we all walk down to Best Buy on say August 1 and return these devices (no matter how old) for a complete refund because it does not perform as advertised!

Live free!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Live free! but sue The Man!

I'd rather sue Microshaft than Insignia - seriously. I'm happier with the Pilot than I am with most of the other cr@p that's out there, including units from others who update their firmware on a regular basis. Price + Features - Lousy Firmware Support from Insignia >> Creative, iRiver, SanDisk, or Samsung with great Firmware support. I've owned (recent design) players from all of them including the Clix, Sansa, T8, T9, Vision M (30G and 60G) and this player has by far outlasted all them, even the Creative and Samsun players, as they are all collecting dust or are making appearances on eBay.

Yeah, the firmware support is lousy. Would really like to see a fix for the long boot up times with an SDHC card installed, but broken and warrants a law suit? IMO I don't think so. Class action lawsuits on CE equipment don't make companies change behaviors nor result in true remedies for clients. They only make lawyers rich. So sue DA MAN if you want to, you are just putting money into his pockets.

Last edited by vferrari; 07-13-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Default RE: Where's the New Firmware?

I'm thinking that for future portable music players, I'll buy something that can use open firmware (e.g., Rockbox). Or else a player that comes with open source firmware.
I don't understand why more manufacturers don't open source the firmware. There are lots of people with the ability to contribute to improving it if they had the chance.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:40 AM

And you know what sucks even more? Images like THESE used in advertisements and pictures for Pilot accessories. That interface isn't on the Pilot!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM

It's pretty close though. Who's to say it actually isn't an earlier firmware version than the one used in the production Pilots. I'd say the interface actually looks more crude than the ring interface that finally made it on the production units.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_paul View Post
1. How big are 30min video files when encoded (or what MB per minute are we looking at)?
2. What command line options do you use with mencoder?

thanks, paul
xvid files on the pilot have to be 320x240 at 512kbit/s video and 128kbit/s audio, so that works out to 640kbit/s or 4.7MB/min. A half hour show (22 minutes without commercials) is about 103MB. A full 60 minute show is about 280MB.

As for mencoder settings, I personally do 1-pass because the screen is two small for me to see the difference that 2-pass makes. I use:
Code:
mencoder INFILE -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=512:vhq:keyint=250:threads=1:vpass=1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -ffourcc XVID -vf scale=320:-2,crop=320:240,expand=320:240 -o OUTFILE
If you do want 2-pass(which takes way too long IMO), try this bash script from http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...d.php?t=25337:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
# insig_encode.sh
#
# Usage: insig_encode.sh inputfile
# It will write a new video file called inputfile-insignia.avi
#

FILE=$1
OUT=`echo -n "$FILE" | sed 's/\.[a-zA-Z0-9]\+$/-insignia.avi/'`

echo
echo "Processing input file $FILE..."
echo

rm -f divx2pass.log 2>/dev/null

nice -n 19 \
mencoder "$FILE" \
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=512:vhq:keyint=250:threads=1:vpass=1 \
-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 \
-ffourcc XVID \
-vf scale=320:-2,crop=320:240,expand=320:240 \
-o "$OUT"

nice -n 19 \
mencoder "$FILE" \
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=512:vhq:keyint=250:threads=1:vpass=2 \
-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 \
-ffourcc XVID \
-vf scale=320:-2,crop=320:240,expand=320:240 \
-o "$OUT"
Also keep in mind that Iriverter is written in Java, so it also works in linux. Use the 320x240 Zen M profile with 512 video bitrate and 128 audio bitrate.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM

So has anyone ever succeeded in getting videos converted by the regular windows media encoder to work? I tried the same settings as listed in the arcsoft media convertor and yet the resulting videos do not work on the insignia. xvid videos converted on Super do. It seems the Insignia is ridiculously fussy over wmv files even with what seem to be the same settings.