android
Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 PM

where can i find these lights in red

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 AM

What package size are the SMD LEDs? (0805, 1205, ect.?)

Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My friend did this in green and he made a green theme its so awesome!!!

My Last.fm

Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM

I'd like to second the inquiry as to the size/spec of the LEDs known to work in this mod. I'm grabbing a few bricked Sansas off eBay to rebuild and I figure, while I'm in there...

Old 02-26-2007, 09:26 PM

I have no idea about the specs of the LEDs. I salvaged them from a universal remote. Sorry I can't be of anymore help than that.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:19 AM

you're smart and talented :P it looks just so so so cool

Old 04-11-2007, 05:29 AM

i think its really cool! but i love the current "stock" condition of the hardware on my sansa but almost anything is possible these days isnt it. i think your work is fantastic. if you found a job that involved fine art like that, it would pay a lot of money for you!
HeadPhones: Sony Stereo Speakers
MySpace: www.myspace.com/joshua_woody

Old 05-04-2007, 03:58 AM

all right i grabbed my calipers tonight and did some measuring for everyone out there (including myself, i want my wheel purple) anyway according to my calipers (which were way more expensive than any of my sansa's) and this spec sheet http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/old/LEDsizesSMD.html they are 1206's. I hope this helps someone out.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 PM

Bravo! Thanks for taking the time to do that for us.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:47 PM

I plan on making a green scroll wheel.

Thanks for this guide!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:52 PM

here is red, yellow,. and green for those interested.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ty=MetaEndSort

Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSV View Post
I wonder...

Would I get a significant increase in battery time if I removed all blue LEDs?
(By significant, I mean more than 20-30 minutes).

Those LEDs serves no purposes other than bling-bling. I know it is the "distinctive" visual feature of the e200, but I couldn't care less.

I would try it, but it would mean some investment. I only have a "uncontrolled" 25 Watts Weller soldering iron with regular tip. Surface-mount work should only be done with temperature-controlled, fine tip soldering irons, unless you are very skilled.

Affenjunge forgot to mention that using an improper heating tool for such delicate work can damage permanently your Sansa: the copper traces on the PCB can lift up if over-heated, making it hard if not impossible to put back a component on that location. Over-heating or using a tip too large can also melt other connections nearby, which may result in a loose contact...

This mod should only be done if you have some experience in un-soldering/soldering surface-mount components. Definitely not for the beginner.
This is a very stupid thing to say, no offence meant, but LEDs, let alone SMDs take a 'TINY amount of power from the battery, anyway each component counts and if there is even the slightest increase/decrease of resistance, it can cause an excess of current flow permanently damaging your sansa. (All components need a regulated flow) NEVER TRY TO REMOVE THEM!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:21 AM

Um... sorta. The LEDs are on their own circuit and only power up for brief periods of time depending on user input. They're also on their own circuit as a result; electricity that travels through the LEDs isn't going anywhere else. Additionally, the LEDs would only be removed; the pads wouldn't be shorted in their place. Unless they're wired in parallel (unlikely) you'd just open the circuit, and electricity simply wouldn't flow through. It doesn't matter how much or how little resistance you have when there's no current coming through in the first place. At worst, a controller IC might not function properly in the absence of the load, or it might heat up a little more than usual, but I'd be surprised if any permanent damage were to occur.

Additionally, LEDs are not high-resistance diodes when run in a low-power configuration. In the absence of power regulation, they get an in-line resister all their own in many cases. Frankly, only a moron would build an MP3 player that relies on resistance from LEDs for current regulation for any other components. SanDisk may have their moments, but their engineers are not THAT dumb.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Default New scrollweel

can this mod be performed with the new scrollwheel? I took mine apart today and the LEDs seemed pretty inacessable. Is it possible?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
This is a very stupid thing to say, no offence meant, but LEDs, let alone SMDs take a 'TINY amount of power from the battery, anyway each component counts and if there is even the slightest increase/decrease of resistance, it can cause an excess of current flow permanently damaging your sansa. (All components need a regulated flow) NEVER TRY TO REMOVE THEM!
The reason I asked is because those are high intensity leds.I checked the specs of these leds. Power dissipation is around 98mW each, and there is four of them. 392 mW total. That is definitely not negligible considering that the audio output power of the e200 is only 80 mW (40 mW per channel). Those LEDs eat more than four times the power of the earphones when they're on...

Or maybe my applied electonic knowledge is all wrong. I studied in electronics some ten years ago, but my career shifted in a completely different direction, so I may have forgotten some basics in that domain. That doesn't make me stupid, anyway.

I've always wondered about the utmost hypocrisy of saying something offensive, and then saying "no offense" right after that. If you mean no offense, then why can't you tell things nicely in the first place?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serkan View Post
can this mod be performed with the new scrollwheel? I took mine apart today and the LEDs seemed pretty inacessable. Is it possible?

Why not? I don't think that the main-board would be any different between the two different versions of the e200's scroll wheel.

In any case, those LEDs are hard to reach anyway if you are not very skilled with a soldering iron.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:41 PM

The LEDs aren't necessarily being driven at spec. The fun thing about LEDs is that as long as you provide the correct voltage, they'll take just about any amperage you provide. They might shift to a slightly warmer color when under-driven, and they won't be as bright as the specs dictate, but that's all.

On a different note... has anyone found a source for purple/violet 1206 SMD LEDs? I've looked around on and off, but I haven't found anything beyond some small dealers (typically in China) that want big orders.

There is one place selling 1206 UV LEDs on eBay, but unless it's near-UV around 400nm (and specs are lacking) I don't think those are a good idea. That, and they're in China, and China and eBay are things that I don't like to combine.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:14 AM

The stock LEDS run at 2.856 volts when lit so i think most LEDS that are rated at that or higher should work just fine

Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM

just in case anyone is still interested I found a website that sells the LEDs needed for this mod and they are NOT sold in bulk like many other sites sell them.

http://unique-leds.com/index.php?tar...roduct_id=1725
just search 1206 and whatever color you want.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Yellow

I just put in som yellow LEDs, scavenged from the keypad of an old Siemens cellphone in my e280.