android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 05-19-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Windows Media Player cannot delete a file from the device

I've always used WMP11 to organize my Zen files, and all of the sudden it's giving me this error message! I have already restarted and it won't work

I really need this option, since apparently only WMP11 can help me sort my files according to their rating, this helps a lot in flushing out unwanted songs.

Any help?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What happens if you close out of WMP and try using the Windows Explorer to delete the file on the Zen?

Zen FAQ

Old 05-20-2008, 10:17 AM

Using windows explorer works, I can move, rename and delete files from my Zen.

I have Creative's Media explorer installed as well, however I could use both WMP and CM with no problems until now.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you can delete the files when WMP is not running and can't when it is, I would say something WMP related is running, interacting with the file(s) or WMP is accessing the file enough to not allow the file to be deleted.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-20-2008 at 01:10 PM.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM

I too have this problem sometimes. I just thought it was because my Zen was running a playlist using the items in question. Maybe Bobby is right, that WMP is using them somehow? I don't know why it would, but it is possible. Maybe next time, I'll try a clean up on the Zen, to see if that helps. Sometimes if I try removing files later, it will work.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 AM

Well I just realized what is happening, however it's now another problem:

I can't delete the files because they don't exist! WMP11 is showing me a whole bunch of files that I have already deleted, so when I try to delete them once more I get that error, since they have already been deleted! Do I have to format?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So this problem is in addition to the existing problem of not being able to delete files from within WMP that DO exist and show in WMP?

Have you tried reinstalling WMP11?

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like WMP11's database needs to be "reset". What version of Windows are you running?

Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Going off of what ZenChick mentioned.... reseting the WMP database can be done in a couple of different ways. I believe you want to make sure that you have your media files on the ZVM backed up because you will need to reformat it so you won't end up with all duplicate files.

1. Make sure no WMP services are running.
2. Make sure no WMP programs are running (check Task Manager).
3. Close IE, Firefox, etc.; bascially anything that can have a WMP plug-in in use.
4. Follow directions from this site.

I also think that if you stop monitoring your music folder(s) in WMP, close WMP, re-open WMP, reset the monitoring of the music folder(s), it should rebuild it's database.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Going off of what ZenChick mentioned.... reseting the WMP database can be done in a couple of different ways. I believe you want to make sure that you have your media files on the ZVM backed up because you will need to reformat it so you won't end up with all duplicate files.

1. Make sure no WMP services are running.
2. Make sure no WMP programs are running (check Task Manager).
3. Close IE, Firefox, etc.; bascially anything that can have a WMP plug-in in use.
4. Follow directions from this site.

I also think that if you stop monitoring your music folder(s) in WMP, close WMP, re-open WMP, reset the monitoring of the music folder(s), it should rebuild it's database.

Good luck!
Perfect! Worked like a charm

Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good deal! Thanks for updating the thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
If you can delete the files when WMP is not running and can't when it is, I would say something WMP related is running, interacting with the file(s) or WMP is accessing the file enough to not allow the file to be deleted.
Hi BobbyRS,

What advice would you give if I couldn't delete files from the Zen using either WMP 11 or Windows Explorer (after shutting down WMP)?

Should I reformat my Zen? Also, can I do this without installing the Creative software, as mentioned in your FAQ?

Old 05-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene2u View Post
Hi BobbyRS,

What advice would you give if I couldn't delete files from the Zen using either WMP 11 or Windows Explorer (after shutting down WMP)?

Should I reformat my Zen? Also, can I do this without installing the Creative software, as mentioned in your FAQ?
You can make sure you have all the WMP services stopped in addition to closing any WMP program/files running. In fact, trying it on another computer would verify the Zen would be the issue and not your computer (if the problem follows). If it does follow, I would then try a Format. If you can delete files on another computer and not yours, then you know it has something to do with your computer. Most likely WMP/MTP.

You can reformat the Zen without the Creative software by booting it into Recovery Mode and selecting the Format option. Remember, you will lose all files so make sure you have them backed up first.

However, before reformating, try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Disk Cleanup to see if that resolves the issue. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 05-24-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks BobbyRS. It was a good idea to try another computer. Both my computers had trouble deleting the files, so I did a format from Recovery Mode, like you recommended. It sure re-formats FAST! Oh, by the way, I had tried a clean-up earlier, and that didn't work. I'll report back if I keep having this issue.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. So the problem followed huh..... yeah, let us know how it goes. Hopefully the issue is no more. Good luck!

Zen FAQ