android
Old 05-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Default Any help from Creative on battery issue???

I have been reading alot about the issues with Zen V+ having no power. Mine is doing the same thing. All indications point to a "deep discharge" issue. I am having trouble understanding how a rechargeable device can be rendered useless for simply letting the battery die. Mine is only 5 months old, I forget to charge it and it is now a very tiny brick? I have Li-ion batteries in other devices and tools and have never had this issue.

I am going through the RMA process with Creative now. Has anyone had any success getting support from Creative on this issue?

In my opinion, it is irresponsible of a company to produce a rechargeable device that can be ruined by a dead battery. I am hoping they are the kind of company who realizes they have a problem and are willing to do the right thing for their customers. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks for listening,
S.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It is exceedingly dangerous to apply a charge to a Li-ion battery that has deep-discharged. Batteries in this state have been known to detonate or catch fire when a charge is attempted. For this reason, most Li-ion batteries contain a safety device that internally disconnects the battery from its external posts when the battery charge drops below a certain level. This permanently disables the battery so it cannot be charged and turned into a bomb.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lithium-ion batteries have low voltage cut-off circuits to prevent them from being fully discharged to where they become useless or as ZenChick so frightingly put it , detonate or catch fire (or melt). A fully discharged lithium-ion battery causes the formation of copper shunt in the cell which begins to get extremely hot when attempting to recharge. This is the reason why the low voltage cut-off circuits are used.

In addition, high voltage cut-off and temperature sensing circuits are also used to prevent overcharging and eventually thermal runaway which are more known for the cause of "exploding" batteries.

If the result is true; that the battery has been too deeply discharged to bring out of a "sleep" state, then your Zen V is not ruined and can easily be fixed with installing a new battery. This can be done without sending back to Creative. However, seeing as the Zen V is listed as not having a removable battery, Creative is obligated to have it returned to them for repair/replacement.

The battery can be part of the issue too. It is not uncommon for device manufactures (dap's, cell phones, etc) to use batteries that have been manufactured with their voltage cut-off circuits set to cut out at too high of a voltage for the device they are used in and not use the lower end voltage spectrum of the battery. I believe this is one of the main reasons for so many battery "failures" in devices today.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-30-2008, 03:08 PM

I'm not part of the Creative staff, but I had your problem and I wrote down what I found fixed it on this post.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=30212

Old 05-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

thegreenonion101: which problem did you have? In your first post (the link you provided), that was a thread where the OP had been using and charging regularly and the Zen V began having power issue causing it not to turn on. In this thread, the OP's problem is a result of not charging it regularly and let the battery become too discharged. So, I'm curious as to which issue you had since they cannot be the same issue.

Zen FAQ