android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 05-21-2008, 04:41 PM

Unhappy firmware gone M30, PC not USB properly anymore

Having owned the Ipod, Sansa, Toshiba gigabeat to an incredible waste of time save hostility towards "your own label". If you make your own .mp3s, you know what I'm talking about. Gone are the days of anonymous drag-and-drop like the keychain style. Hello hours of ID3 tag editing.

The M30 Rocks! It hungrily accepted all of my CD collection, with ID3 work nearly full (5600 files), until---

NO connection permitted, at least not to the brain of the unit...still charging alright, but the USB driver does not recognise/think there is a problem, like the cable has like one conductor cut, the most important one. NO more congratulatory chimes on connection. nada.

nuh-uh...the replacement cable (just happened to have one on board) did exactly the same.

gorf...I've wasted going on two days on this, had to track down the original install disk, deleted, then reinstalled all of the software, and...ta-da no solution.

Some genious who had a similar problem recommended I install new firmware. Trying...still trying, but the PC will not recogise the device enough to install any "firmware" which is by definition burned into the device (is it not?) I thought. No firmware=no tunes means I can't even use it for a doorstop.

Is this a Windows XP sp2 problem? I would like to absolve the M30.

please help, this thing is starting to hurt my feelings, just when we were starting to fall in love.

toastmaster65

Last edited by toastmaster65; 05-21-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: I can't be alone on this.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From what I can make of it, it doesn't sound like a computer issue to me, but a ZVM issues. It doesn't sound like the device is powering on to even be recognized by the computer or OS. Leave it plugged into the computer overnight and see if it eventually begins charging faster or turns on.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM

Default Power/interface chicklet likely?

you know that little goodie that enables you to connect to the M30? that thing has a 4.5VDC input. Usually when I'm in reach of 120vac, I'll use my handy wall-wart. It juices it up to 6V, but there is no damage done.

Now that it no longer functions 'cause I believed some idiot who convinced me to delete the "Firmware", you want to buy it. This unit was fantastic when I needed it in a hurry. The Zune would not power up for me in time for the family vacation, and had to be sent back.

Now that I'm at my wits end, any recommendations?

Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
you know that little goodie that enables you to connect to the M30? that thing has a 4.5VDC input.
You mean the dongle? Yes and the charging input should be able to handle 5V, but 6V is a little scary.

Quote:
It juices it up to 6V, but there is no damage done.
You're having problems right now aren't you.

You mention it is still charging fine.... do you see the blue light flashing as it is plugged in charging?

Quote:
any recommendations?
Yes, what I mentioned before about leaving it charge a while (especially if the blue light is blinking). If it isn't, you buy a new battery, open it up, and replace it.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Recovery mode-

If left plugged in, it displays the battery icon in the corner but says "Recovery Mode", and offers the options clean up, Format All, Reload Firmware, Reboot, all seem to be working normally, except I unfortunately agreed to delete the Firmware to wherin lies the deep chasm to which I have apparently fallen and cannot get up.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, I got you now. At this point I would focus my efforts on the computer end for this issue. You need to make sure that when you are connecting the ZVM to the computer (keep it booted into Recovery Mode), the driver is loading it device manager with no problem. no software will be able to see the device until the driver is loaded without error. What version of WMP do you have installed?

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 06:41 PM

Cool

Windows Media is an inferior product at the outset. When I was desparately not understanding MVC mode with Toshiba, I tried to obtain a version of Windows Media Player 10, but Microsoft would not let me uninstall fully as certain functions are "shared".

Gigabeat wanted to go backwards to version 10 but the gigbeat room worked without the docking station on USB 2.0, but that's another story.

Creative's media player really worked well with the exception of a "now currently playing" track itentifier.

I would always use realplayer, quicktime, or Quintessential player, but never WMP. uugggh!

You're having problems right now aren't you.

faithfully trying to drian the battery by running it in "clean up" in recovery mode again and again, but will not "boot" without firmware.

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-21-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WMP10 or 11 is needed in order for WinXP to be MTP compliant in order for the ZVM to work correclty. I wasn't bring WMP up in terms of whether or not you actually use it with your media. No matter what program you use, WMP10 or 11 needs to be installed.

I wouldn't drain the battery right now. You are able to boot into Recovery Mode so the battery isn't the issue. You should keep it charged so you can work with it getting the driver installed correctly in order to load the firmware.

Please keep the posts on topic. Thank you.

......... this is a strange thread........

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-21-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Sorry Bobby, so satisfied since November, then kaput. I've got windows media player 11, you're right, this has components that could not be deleted. I was in denial. How to make the M30, peek and seek or rather the PC to shake hands with Zen now?

thanks for all your crazy help on this crazy problem-

Old 05-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From earlier:

Quote:
At this point I would focus my efforts on the computer end for this issue. You need to make sure that when you are connecting the ZVM to the computer (keep it booted into Recovery Mode), the driver is loading it device manager with no problem. No software will be able to see the device until the driver is loaded without error.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
......... this is a strange thread........
Indeed.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_milo View Post
Indeed.
Yeah.... I'm still a little .

Zen FAQ

Old 05-24-2008, 01:43 PM

Where can I mail the unit now?

Let's say, I bought a brand new mp3 player? What would never give me any trouble? Such a thing does not exist. The Zen M30 is the closest I've been to this concept, they even offer a reset button.

Just going to have to get used to loading my CDs one at a time until this problem gets resolved. Thanks for taking the time to read this. JAY Q.

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-24-2008 at 05:14 PM.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.

Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 PM

Would not a new computer loaded with untainted USB drivers be able to solve this problem?

This was a remanufactured unit, that's how I knew it would work the first time, unlike the ZUNE I wasted two days with.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I was just answering your question. Yes, I do still suspect your computer as the issue. Have you verified anything in Device Manager yet (thrid time mentioning it)?

Zen FAQ

Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Device manager does not offer any "portable audio devices" or any such thing. You'll have to put my nose in it. I cannot find it in the Control Panel, sounds or audio devices, System, USB (where it belongs) and sadly no means of telling what each USB port is connected to, merely the serial no. of the driver?? This is nutzo. It's simply not here.

Where might I find the thing that will enable the thing to communicate via USB?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Any catagoy named Portable Devices" or Windows Portable Devices"? Also check to see if there is anything under the "Other Devices". Try having Device Manager open before connecting the ZVM to see if you see it do a refresh and add the entry to any catagory, as well as listen for any audible notification.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-25-2008, 03:54 PM

Got IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Got IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers, three hard drives and their controllers, network adapters. I'll a systemwide search on the word "portable" has found C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 PortableDeviceApi.dll, ClassExtension.dll, PortableDeviceTypes.dll PortableDeviceWMDRM.dll, PortableDeviceWiaCompat.dll all of which help exactly noway. sorry. Now that you mention it, I'm wearing strange threads-

Old 05-25-2008, 07:55 PM

I'll start by sending the M30 S/N MAPF1690615013230U somewhere they can connect it to their working Creative Media software and affirm that it INDEED IS MY Computer. They will re-install the firmware and it's off to the races!

Still don't have a clue where somewhere is. Is it your place?

spoiled rotten by this unit. It's only when you take candy from a baby that they really start crying.