android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 05-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When you connect the player, do you get an audible alert from Windows?

You don't have any other computer you can try connecting it too; family/friends?

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Nope..which is why I know that restoring the firmware may bring the unit back to operating order again, but the PC will stubbornly not acknowledge the connection, even with alternate cables, which is why I started blaming the "dongle" connection block, but jiggling that might produce something (you'd think), but nada.

This quite seriously is an USB failure to communicate problem.

Still want my collection at my fingertips, and don't want to spend two days reloading the entire collection if it is not necessary.

Nothing has been resolved by this forum.

"player recovery tool" wants to wipe my M30 clean right at the outset. PRT does not recognize the connection to the PC, and thus cannot help.

There aren't any people with enough money around here to even be able to afford a USED computer.

Clearlake, CA is dirt poor. We can't even afford pavement. The bloated city council gets a raise though.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your ZVM boots into Recovery Mode fine, so it should still be detected and have the driver load just fine. This is why I still suspect a computer issue and not a ZVM issue. If you are not getting even a audible alert when connecting or Device Manager trying to load the driver, then I would suspect the problem to be with either the USB port, cable, dongle, or USB drivers.

Try all USB ports (back of computer and no hubs), try other USB 2.0 cables, try another dongle if you can.....

Are all the USB drivers loaded fine in Device Manager? None with errors? Any Other Devices catagory? Try this with the USB drivers:

1. In Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, and uninstall everything listed.

2. Restart the computer and allow it to reload all the USB drivers and then restart again.

3. Continue restarting until everything under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager is loaded correctly again.

4. Plug in the Zen while having Device Manager open and see if it gets detected and loads the driver properly.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 AM

All USB drivers are functioning normally, the SATA 200 GB aux drive (H the G:USB cameras, the Epson perfection scanner all USB, all functioning normally. All respond normally when plugged and unplugged. The Zen M30 wakes up and gives a triangle ! Firmware problem, and proceeds to offer the four choices. Firmware offers perhaps a 750 millisecond window to supposedly transmit the data for the firmware, but no software was indicated how to/under what application to execute ZENVisionM_30GB_PCFW_L21_1_62_02.exe
supposedly the thing what is the "firmware" for the M30.

I don't feel comfortable deleting the drivers for my SATA drive. It's my music library, and it works.

Sorry bobby. There's got to be a way. The USB 2.0 driver card was installed by yours truly perhaps five years ago. It has three slots as well as firewire if needed. the unit has a built in USB 1.2 (two slots).

Ye Olde Compaq presario still does the job, the graphics are a little stodgy, YouTube sound is choppy and doesn't match the picture and Windows media sometimes works.

Back when I was first starting to get involved with computers, it was uncanny how they were DESIGNED TO communicate with one another. Baud Rate, Stop bits, Data Bits, X on X off, parity, hardware handshake there are no mysteries here.

Why do we find ourselves in the dark now and find it necessary to continually re-invent what works pretty good. How the USB can be 4 pins on one end and ten pins on the other speaks to the level of unneeded complexity at work here.

dammit Jim, I can solve this problem.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I don't feel comfortable deleting the drivers
It's your call if you don't want to try it. They aren't being deleted, just uninstalled. They will reload/reinstall.

Like I mentioned before:

Quote:
I would suspect the problem to be with either the USB port, cable, dongle, or USB drivers.
You have to start somewhere in order to resolve your issue.

Quote:
The Zen M30 wakes up and gives a triangle ! Firmware problem
Yeah, you will get that since you selected the Reload Firmware option from the Recovery Mode.

At this point in time I can only offer 3 possible solutions to get your ZVM back to working order:

1. Find another computer to try and hope it recognizes the ZVM enough for you to reload the firmware.
2. Purchase a as-is ZVM off of EBay (or somewhere else) and begin swapping parts (dongle, hard drive, mainboard...) or just buy a new dongle and USB 2.0 cable to see if that makes a difference.
3. Contact Creative for a return to have the ZVM fixed.

If it is a computer issue with not recognizing the ZVM, then these options may only allow for the ZVM to get back into working order, but the computer issue of not recognizing it may still remain.

To correct your computer issue:

1. Use another computer that recognizes the Zen from now on.
2. Purchase a new computer to use.
3. Reload the Operating System and all software on your existing computer (assuming there is no hardware issue related to causing your problem).

Zen FAQ

Old 05-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Wink NONviolent Nonco-operation

Thanks a mil. for hanging in there with me on this problem. My wife thinks that I obsess about music and spend too much time with the computer. She's probably right.

I want to get the firmware reinstalled, but your service department says at the outset, be prepared to lose the contents of the unit on it's arrival, or something to that effect.

Since by now, you are acutely aware of what is needed, could you either instruct the service department to "handle with kid gloves", see to it yourself -it's worth at least ten bucks to have it fixed (money for being incredibly stupid) although, I cannot accept ALL the blame for this one.

It is a reminder of how we rely on this incredibly tenuous technology. Should have realized when I lost my Sansa 2Gig unit at a niteclub recording a samba band.

All this power can be taken away easily.

What's the address? How much are you going to charge? Who should I mark the package attention of?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-27-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wish I could buddy. However, I don't work for Creative. This site isn't a part of Creative either.

I took the liberty of removing your email address from the post. Not really a good idea unless you are looking to increase the amount of junk mail you receive.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-29-2008, 09:05 PM

Default Possible Fix for MTP access and firmware upgrade

Hi,

I recently bought a ZVM 30GB from ebay with this connectivity problem. I had already erased the firmware on the ZVM - thinking I could just plug and play.

For some reason my computer did not recognise the player and then it would not download the firmware update.

My computer is XP (now with SP3) and Windows Media Player 11. Previously, there was no problems with Zen connectivity. I have been playing around with non-standard drivers in the last week, such as installing a Sony SixAxis on my PC and this may have caused the problems.

I searched the help forums on this site, but only the last couple of tips really helped.

In the end I downloaded the Microsoft Media Transfer Protocol Porting Kit

Visit: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Once installed I went into device manager and reinstalled drivers. I reconnected the ZVM and presto the computer recognised the player, and my firmare upgrade succeeded.

Good Luck.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You had to revive this thread didn't you (joking). Seriously, that is good to hear and thanks for taking the time posting your success. The MTP porting kit basically reinstalls the MTP driver, so it sounds as though when you installed it, it restored what was needed in order to get MTP working again.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 PM

Red face ANYTHING but Ipod.

...the unit is returnable for a new one that works good, and will be either the same unit, corrected, or an improved model. They probably will not take the time to install my replacement firmware but will toss a new "refurbished" unit as I've paid the $25 and if the unit is a good one (it was before if failed to communicate)there will be no charge and a new one will be issued from the factory.

There were a few flaming hoops for the trained monkey to jump through in addition of having to sign up for their email and updates. Your personal information has to be written on a 3x5 index card. The unit has to be in an antistatic bag or packing foam, bubbles or peanuts. The package that it was sent in will not be returned. The RMA number is hard to ascertain from the service department, eventually someone who speaks english contacts you.

Whatever.

I've been considering upgrading to a 60Gig unit. Any reason I shouldn't?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would at least wait until you get your ZVM returned/replaced/repaired first. Didn't you send it to them a week ago?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 08:36 PM

Default Right with the world.

Yes, the M30 was at fault for the "not USB properly anymore". I was right to blame the actual unit itself when it would not be recognized as having a brain to communicate to the PC with -charging function still worked though...hmm. A few short weeks later, and it's off to the races again.

I'm sure the unit will play normally!

Toastmaster65

Old 06-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear man. Thanks for returning and letting us know how it turned out. Enjoy!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 PM

...we're currently up o 186/6132 files. Thankfully, this unit can charge up/upload download all night long unattended.

Still say it's going to hit the mark first time. I have confidence in this now.

Jay Q -toastmaster65

Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks good. I think so too. Best of luck.

Zen FAQ