android
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM

Default HELP - Sony NWZ A816

hi there,
i just got the player mentioned in the thread's title. i have a doubt concerning it's functions:
should it be possible to drag & drop files from the device to any computer?
when i try to do it, i only get to transfer the empty folder, but not the music in it. i've got no problems doing this the other way (from my computer to the player). is this product of a faulty player or just kind of a copyright limitation or something?

i don't mean to be obnoxious but i need to know this asap, due to the fact that i'll need to change it for another model if this is not a problem of this particullar player but a characteristic of the model

thank you very much in advance

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

if they are not copyprotected there should be no problem doing that. drag the files themselves not the folders

Old 05-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Try to use a good Music transfer program, It should work.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:55 AM

I have the same Digital Audio Player (DAP) as the thread initiator. In order for drag-and-drop to work you will need to have Windows Media Player (WMP) 11 installed on your computer.

The reason for this is that when you install WMP 11 it also installs the MTP drivers needed to allow drag-and-drop to work with your player. These drivers are not installed with WMP 10.

Some note about using drag-and-drop:

- When you transfer the music to your player you will have to put it in the MUSIC folder on your player.

- When your player displays the song information it won't show the song's year. It will show up as "Unknown."

- In order for your album art to display, you will have to embed it into the MP3 file. A free program that will allow you to do this is MP3Tag.

If you'd rather not use drag-and-drop, there are many music managers available that are compatible with your player. Among them are:

- Windows Media Player 11
- MediaMonkey
- Media Manager For Windows (this program will also convert video files into a format compatible with your player).

Old 05-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
The reason for this is that when you install WMP 11 it also installs the MTP drivers needed to allow drag-and-drop to work with your player. These drivers are not installed with WMP 10.
Utter bullshit. MTP works with WinXP SP2 and above.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
Utter bullshit. MTP works with WinXP SP2 and above.
Yeah, i take offence to Cpt!. The player should be drag and drop ready when it left the factory, You dont need to install any Windows 11! Install the Driver! And CDMP3PlayerFan, If you own this player, Why is'nt it in your ; " Digital players" in your User CP? And all the players you say that you own is Cd players

Last edited by thekey; 05-22-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:16 PM

well, thank you for the responses.
i've already tried drag & droping individual files, but it doesen't work.
i prefer not to install any new version of media player (i'm running "10") because my computer is a mess and i have nearly no disk space. is there any way to install only small drivers that would allow drag & drop?

the computer recognizes the dap as "walkman" and i have no trouble dragging from the computer to it.
i still can't figure out why i can't do it the other way.
i googled for the drivers with no success at all.

thank you again

Last edited by geoffrey firmin; 05-22-2008 at 03:21 PM. Reason: sticks and stones

Old 05-22-2008, 03:27 PM

its not about drivers. it simply should work, and i got no idea why it dont.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WinXP does not reach MTP compliancy until at least WMP10 or WMP11 is installed. With Vista, MTP is natively supported. WMP10, even though it claims to install MTP, doesn't do it very well and many MTP devices have problems running within. WMP11's MTP installation is much improved and more stable. This is most likely why the Sony NWZ A816 is requiring WMP11. See here.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM

so this means i won't be able to transfer files to a computer without wmp11?

the player is correctly recognized by the computer. when i plug it in, the dap reads "connecting mtp usb" (or similar) and while files are being transfered it reads "do not disconect" with a red exclamation mark.
all this looks fine, but i just cant drag & drop files from the dap to the computer (excuse me if i am being repetitive)

i think i'll find the way to install wmp11, but i find this very obnoxious because it means that i will only be capable of transfering files to people who also have it.

thank you once again

Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 AM

The Sony does NOT require WMP 11. How do I know? I've used one on my computer which is WMP 10. Worked perfectly fine. You can of course try it as it is more stable but it shouldnt really matter unless something is seriousely broke somewhere

Old 05-23-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekey View Post
Yeah, i take offence to Cpt!. The player should be drag and drop ready when it left the factory, You dont need to install any Windows 11! Install the Driver! And CDMP3PlayerFan, If you own this player, Why is'nt it in your ; " Digital players" in your User CP? And all the players you say that you own is Cd players
This is oversight on my part (those were the players I owned when I registered and I've not updated since then). I've corrected this.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
This is oversight on my part (those were the players I owned when I registered and I've not updated since then). I've corrected this.
Okey, i believe you!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:19 AM

Hi, I did search around a little bit on the internet for an answer to this. And Cpt im sorry, But i think that you are WRONG. i readed this on another forum.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t52295.html

Well, there I was ignorant of all this, dragging and dropping files to my free mp3 player in UMS mode (I assume) under XP SP1 (without Windows Media Player 10, or any specific drivers). All files played fine. Data files could be transferred too.

Then I plugged the player into a different PC, one with Window Media Player 10. The player is recognised as an MTP audio device. However, all the tracks I've downloaded onto it cannot be seen on this PC. Also, the two demo tracks which came with the player, though they can be seen, can't be played unless copied onto the PC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I readed this too on http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Sandisk...3_players/m200

The FAT files system used has some file limits. One report appears to say that the limit is 130-140 files in the root directory.
--------------------------------------
So it is maybe that fault that you've tried to transfer a folder with to many files in it.
--------------------------------------

Hope this will help-!

Last edited by thekey; 05-23-2008 at 08:28 AM.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thekey, read this for FAT info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_allocation_table

Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
I am not looking for FAT info. It was just that, that the folder may just take a 160 files or somethin like that. Thanks for directing

Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As far as I know SOME have had problems with drag&drop unless WMP11 was installed, so I would also recommend installing it myself and seeing what happens. It should solve the issue for you. & please, let us know the outcome.

PS: After going to the Sony site it states that WMP10 or 11 is required but Sony recommends that WMP11 be installed for the Drag&Drop to have best results. So yeah, you really should install WMP11. It has drivers that are updated and provide better support for D&D.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thekey, it is not that on FAT32. Here is what it says: "Max 512 in root directory; 37,365 actual files in any subdirectory"

Old 05-23-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
Thekey, it is not that on FAT32. Here is what it says: "Max 512 in root directory; 37,365 actual files in any subdirectory"
Aha, i understand now i didnt before-

Old 05-23-2008, 10:04 AM

bad news: i updated wmp (to 11) and nothing new happened. only the "walkman" icon on my computer changed. the new one is cute, it looks like an iphone or something.
i bought two of this daps. i gave one to a friend. he has no problem regarding drag & drop as i do. so i guess i got myself a faulty unit. i will be returning near the shop from tuesday onwards, and i'll just swap it for a new one.

besides this issue, i had to push the reset button the first time i took the dap out of it's pack (the bar with song name/volume and battery display didn't appear).