android
Old 05-24-2008, 01:01 AM

Thumb Down USB wall charger

I've brought a wall charger that you have to plug the end of your USB cable into, and the other side into the dongle, then the ZVM.
This only turns the player on and does not charge it.
I've heard that the ZVM only charges when it knows its hooked up to a computer. Is this true?

ZVM rocks my socks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2008, 11:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How do you know it isn't charging? What are the output specifications of the wall charger? The ZVM charges fine from wall chargers, as long as you are using a correct charger.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 AM

i have a similar problem i bought a Belkin usb charger thats meant for ipods but i tried it with my Samsung p2 and it works fine but with the zen when i plug it in it the player turns on but no indication its charging

here is the charger:
http://www.audio-discounters.com/f8z121.html

specifications:
input: 100-240v
AC 0.5A 50-60 hz
output: DC 5v/1A

anyhelp would be great

Old 07-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The dock connectors/ports are different. The fact that you got it to connect, may indicated that you may have damaged the port. The ports of the ZVM and IPod are not the same. See the pinouts here:

ZVM
IPod

So, even thought the output specs meet the requirements of the ZVM, the connector/pinouts are not the same and will not work correctly.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-05-2008, 03:57 PM

no no lol u misunderstood me the charger has a usb connecton output and u can plug anytype of usb connected device into the charger with its own wires and it should charge. It works with my samsung P2 but with the zvm it does not.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From my FAQ thread on charging issues:
Quote:
Q: Can I use a third-party USB wall charger?
A: No. Although some people report having successfully charged a ZVM with one of these things, this isn't usually the case. The ZVM's USB port is designed only to handle a small amount of power - what is typically provided by a computer's USB port. Using anything other than a true USB port could potentially apply too much power to your ZVM's USB port and damage your player.
To put this in simpler terms:

Never EVER plug anything other than a computer to the ZVM's USB port! You will likely fry your player!

I'm going to go cry now.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
no no lol u misunderstood me the charger has a usb connecton output and u can plug anytype of usb connected device into the charger with its own wires and it should charge. It works with my samsung P2 but with the zvm it does not.
You didn't mention that before. Unfortunatly, like what ZenChick pointed out, 1A through the USB port for charging is not good at all; 500mA at most.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 AM

I must be in the minority because I have an ebay wall charger that works fine. Not to mention I charged the player through the computer when I first got it for 24 hours and still not enough juice to install the drivers. I ended up using the wall charger.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No one said it can't work. It is just best not to because of the ZVM's sensitivity towards charging over the USB connection. It isn't meant to handle a higher current than what is provided from USB 5v/500mA. Technically, you can get an AC charger with a USB connection that will fit and work fine as long as the charging current isn't too high. It is just not recommended here at all. It is just far too easy to use a higher current charger or one that is faulty or poorly regulated. There have been way too many people ruining their ZVM's by using USB AC chargers with the USB port.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-05-2008, 08:41 AM

Yeah the problem with the ebay plugs is they might not give you accurate ratings.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah the problem with the ebay plugs is they might not give you accurate ratings.
Yeah, that and along with poor quality and not having a properly regulated output. However, if you know the part you are looking for exactly and find a reputable seller, there are good ones too.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-07-2008, 05:56 AM

I use a noname charger 5v 1a. Just use the creative cable.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello and welcome Arty.

Quote:
I use a noname charger 5v 1a. Just use the creative cable.
Plugged into the AC port I hope.

Quote:
1A through the USB port for charging is not good at all; 500mA at most.

Zen FAQ