android
Old 05-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Default A newbie here with a handful of questions ...

Hi all!

Newbie here, my first post, short-term lurker though ...

For the past few weeks, I have exhaustively done research on the Insignia Pilot, reading professional and customer reviews here and there, and in fact, I read this entire forum from oldest to newest postings ...

I am pretty much convinced the Insignia Pilot is the mp3 player - or rather DAP - for me. (Now, I'm just waiting on a good deal or sale at BB, hehehe ...) In fact, it will be my first.

Funny little story ...
Before I became very serious in the last few weeks about getting an mp3 player, I had been in my local BB, and had casually passed by the mp3 players on the non-iPodian side ... one player kinda stood out to me, kinda caught my eye (at the time, I didn't know that it was the Pilot) ... I stopped briefly to look at this player, but recoiled in mock horror when I saw that Flyleaf was playing on it (um, I'm not a fan of theirs, sorry! haha!) ... So I walked away not giving it any more thought ... Almost dismissed the Pilot right then and there (without really getting to know it and more about it) ... Am I glad that I finally came around!

Since then, as I've already mentioned, I've been doing my homework on the Pilot ...
I had the chance to go to the same BB again, this time with the intent to really look at the Pilot up close and personal (even if that meant dealing with Flyleaf again, haha!) ...
While I was playing around with it, a young BB guy came up to me ... Pretty much before he had a chance to start his spiel, I told him that I was interested in the Pilot and had done a lot of research already ... I started telling him about the features ... I mention it having 2 headphone jacks, and he was like, "whoa! it does?!?" ... he actually seemed kinda blown away and actually looked at the Pilot for himself to see the jacks ... Um, I guess I knew a bit more about it than he did, hehehe! ... Anyway, I stopped talking, then there was this long awkward pause, followed by him getting back into BB salesperson mode saying "well, if you have any questions, lemme know" ... I tell him "I'm good, thanks" and he walks away ... I laughed out loud when he no longer was in sight! Haha!

OK, now to the serious part ...
I actually have a handful of questions ... a few more key things I need to know before I buy ...

1. I came across a post here about somebody sorta being able to look at pictures (or maybe .txt files?) of actual book pages (I guess to go along with listening to the audiobook version of it) ... if so, applying this in a different way, is it possible somehow to look at/follow along with song lyrics (to go along with listening to the corresponding songs)? If yes, it is possible, where and how would one get lyrics in a workable format to use and see?

2. Regarding the line-in recording function of the Pilot ... is it possible to record from, say, a turntable or cassette player? If so, what sort of cable or dongle-thingie do I need to get? How would I do the recording so that it breaks it down into individual tracks (as opposed to recording most if not all of side A of the LP, for example)?

3. I came across a post here that ever so slightly mentioned Bluetooth and the FM radio function of the Pilot ... I am not at all technologically-inclined, so this may seem really dumb to ask ... So, yes or no, can a person listen to the FM radio through a Bluetooth headset? How about some other sort of Bluetooth device?

4. Another dumb question about Bluetooth and the Pilot here ... Yes or no, is it possible for 2 Bluetooth headsets/devices/a combo of the two to listen to the Pilot at the same time?

5. What really is the default screen for the Pilot? When I was looking at the Pilot in BB, any time I was done looking at any areas of the menu or whatnot, it kept defaulting to a picture of the FM radio ... Should it be defaulting to simply the menu screen or can I customize it somehow to default to something else (apparently the FM radio, in this case)?

6. Regarding the copying over of music album folders or music playlist folders either to the Pilot itself (internally) or any sort of SDHC card in it (externally) ... yes or no, do the tracks automatically arrange themselves in the proper order (Trk 1, Trk 2, etc.) or does it somehow copy them into it backwards (Trk 10, Trk 9, Trk 8, etc.)? (My very limited experience with any sort of drag-n-drop operation has been with my mp3 phone and its microSD card, and every time I try to copy over music album or playlist folders, the tracks are always copied in backwards. Instead of being Artist A - Trk 1, Trk 2; Artist B - Trk 1, Trk 2 ... I end up with Artist Z - Trk 10, Trk 9; Artist Y - Trk 10, Trk 9).

7. Speaking of memory cards and the Pilot ... yes or no, can a person "hot swap" SD cards while the Pilot is on or somehow in use? Or does it have to be turned off before one can switch out any SD card?

8. I've seen a few posts here touching upon the battery and the battery life of the Pilot ... Yes or no, does a person have to calibrate the battery (meaning letting it discharge completely a few times and then recharging it completely again)? Or do I follow the recommendation of one poster here who said to never let the battery level get below 70% at all times (which would imply that one should never completely discharge the battery ever)?

9. One of the posters here mentioned using the Motorola s9 BT headset with the Pilot for doing physical activity - namely running. Does this BT headset really do a good job of sorta staying in place while you run or can somebody else recommend a better BT headset for this?

I believe that is all of the questions I have for now ...
Any and all information, recommendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Default A couple of answers

I don't have all the answers but I'll tell you what I've found out using mine.
1. I'm able to read books that I've put into .txt files while I listen to the radio, music files or audio books. I would think that if you put the lyrics for a particular song into a standard .txt file you could read along with it as the music plays. But it won't be karaoke style, highlighting as it goes. Just find the lyrics online and save them to a .txt file.
2. To record line in, I found that just a turntable or cassette player is not enough. I can, however, record from a CD player or another DAP. All you need is a standard 3.5mm plug on each side to plug into the headphone (or line out) jack on the outgoing music, and then plug it into the headphone jack on the Pilot that doubles as the line in jack.
3. I have listened to the FM radio over my Bluetooth headset, with no problems.
4. I don't know the answer to that one.
5. Although there is a menu screen, after profiling media files, it always sets me up with the last thing I had running, whether it was music or video. I don't know if there is a way to default it to the menu.
6. I drag and drop my music folders into the Pilot and they seem to set up alpha-numerically. At times it doesn't see the folder correctly and won't display in my music folder, but in Folder Browser on the Pilot I can access them all.
7. I hot swap my 2GB and 1GB SD chips and see no problem. When the Pilot recognizes the new chip it begins its "profiling media files" and then keeps playing. (Unless you were listening to something on the chip you took out.)
8. I haven't found the battery to be any worse in the past few months I've owned it and I pretty much let it run out of juice before I recharge it. Using Bluetooth does make the battery run down quicker, however.
9. I'm using the Bluetooth IOGear Wireless Stereo Headphones that I saw at Wal-Mart and bought from Buy.com and they work great. They are comfortable on your ears and I use them walking and doing work around the yard. Unlike a standard Bluetooth phone headset, these are more like true headphones, with only a small wire that links them together. I'm very happy with them.
I hope that helps some.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:39 AM

To add to Sandcrest's good answers to your questions:

1. Don't know - use it for music and video exclusively.
2. You can also get a stereo mini-to-rca adaptor (stereo mini on one end, red/white rca on the other end) so that you can record from the audio line outputs from your stereo receiver or cassette/cd/vcr/dvd player. Won't typically work from the line output of a turntable, though, because the level typically needs to be pre-amplified and will be too low for the Pilot input.
3. The only problem I have found listening to FM using my bluetooth headset (Moto S9) is that the Pilot relies on the wired headset cable as an antenna so unless you have some length of wire plugged into one of the headset jacks, you will only receive the very strong signal strength stations. I have a small 1 foot stereo mini-to-stereo mini patch cord that I use for recording (similar to what sandcrest describes above) or plugging the Pilot into auxiliary jacks of a stereo receiver or car audio system and I will plug this in when listening to bluetooth headphones and FM (sort of defeats the purpose of wireless but at least its not connected to my headset).
4. While the Pilot can see and store multiple bluetooth device profiles, it can only pair with one bluetooth device at a time.
5. See Sandcrest's answer.
6. If you have the track number in the Tag, Pilot will play back files in track order in album play mode, otherwise it will play back titles in Playlist order mode or alphabetically. I almost exclusively use random playback mode so I may be missing a nuance or playback quirk here - you may want to peruse the Feature Request sticky thread at the beginning of the forum for user's playback order quirks, bugs, pet peeves.
7. Never done it hot swap so I defer to Sandcrest's experience.
8. My experience is consistent with Sandcrest's
9. I really like the S9's for convenience and sound quality. The included earpieces are multi-sized (pick one of three sizes), and rotate about their mounting point so that you can properly direct the sound into your ear canal. Unlike pendant mounted bluetooth headsets (really what's the point if you have a pendant about the same size of the Pilot dangling from your neck vs. just using a wired headset) the S9's have NO WIRES. I have found the adjustment of the earpieces is crucial to getting the best sound/volume out of the S9's - and I think people not realizing they have to make this adjustment results in the cause for most complaints about the headset's sound quality. They are very steady for exercising and are somewhat moisture resistant so won't break if you sweat on them, but if you have a large head they may feel uncomfortable because they flex-grab about your head to provide the stability. The other complaint is that since they are wrap-around style, they are not really conducive to lying down or resting your head against a headrest, although you can adjust the orientation somewhat to compensate (but this may require you to readjust the orientation of the earpieces again).

HTH

Old 05-28-2008, 01:41 PM

To add a little on my interpretation of some of your questions...

1. The music and lyrics will not be synchronized. The Pilot, as far as I know, does not support Lyrics3v2 or any other ID3-related lyrics tags. But, if you happen to have some music and happen to have a text file with the lyrics for that music, the Pilot won't stop you from manually following along in the text editor while the music is playing.

3. Bluetooth is a radio in that it uses RF signals to communicate between devices. However, a BT headset/speaker alone (not paired with the Pilot or other device) is not enough to listen to "the radio" as in AM/FM signals. Otherwise, great info already posted.

5. The default screen seems to be Now Playing, which displays different things depending on what is, er, now playing - context sensitive. Song info for MP3s (or other formats), radio info if the radio is currently playing, etc.

6. The Pilot will use information in the ID3 tags of the music. Failing that, I believe it uses the filename, so sorting would depend on how you name your files. I would strongly suggest maintaining good tags for your music. On your phone, it sounds like it's a very primitive MP3 player that uses file create time to determine the order. When you drag and drop in Windows, it typically does copy in reverse order for whatever reason. The modified dates on copied files don't change, but the create date is updated to the time the file is copied. The Pilot is much more intelligent about it. It could also be MTP "helping" you with the transfer and doing who knows what to your files.