android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung

Old 05-29-2008, 07:10 AM

Help Can I leave the charger (without the player) plugged in the socket overnight?

Hi,

I am going to use my Samsung YH-J70 in the office as a kind of "desktop player". Given that (even the new) battery lasts only for about 1,5-2 days (or would it improve after charging it for x times?) I will listen to it with the charger but not use the battery.

The mains socket is a little bit difficult to access, hence my question:

CAN I LEAVE THE CHARGER IN THE SOCKET PROVIDED THE PLAYER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED?

bwprius

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Noone will force you to take it out, but you should. If only to save that 2 cents of power or prevent fire little chance of that but theres always the 0.00001% of the cases

Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

May I suggest to use a power strip? This way you can easily place it where it's convenient and shut the power when needed.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Samsung Moderator

Yes, you can leave the charger plugged in forever. It will not draw power from the mains when not charging your device.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 AM

Just make sure the outlet is not controlled by a light switch. Once I plugged my P2 into the wall and it didn't charge since I had the switch off.....lol.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Although you may be fine for a while, leaving it plugged in occasionally all day and night, most likely won't hurt it, but leaving it plugged in every day and night may not be a good idea. Although once it is charged to 100%, the battery's internal high voltage cut-off circuit should keep the battery from over-charging and the devices charging circuit should keep applying a trickle charge when detected a drop in charge below full. However, keeping a Lithium-ion battery plugged in and fully charged keeps the battery's temperature elevated. Exposure to prolonged elevated temperatures can cause capacity loss which can then cause the battery to no longer be able to charge or hold a charge; which wouldn't be that bad since you no longer plan to use the battery. However, it may be a small chance, but there is a chance that exposure to this for long periods could also increase the chance of a circuit failure (charging, high voltage, temperature sensing) and allow for a severe over-charge to take place to the point of thermal runaway which has been known to cause the occasional "exploding" battery, but in most cases just melt (and take some of the device with it) or catch fire. To be safe, you should at least remove the battery if possible.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-31-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Samsung Moderator

Bobby, You're misinterpreting. He's asking if he can leave the charger plugged in continuously, even when the player is disconnected. In this case, yes you can do that with no problems.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes I am. Sorry about that. (Just read the title again) I was thinking the player was still plugged into a power source while being disconnected to the PC. So yeah, my ramblings don't apply in this situation .

Zen FAQ

Old 06-20-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yes, you can leave the charger plugged in forever. It will not draw power from the mains when not charging your device.
Yes it will!!!!!! If you leave any plug which has got a transformer, such as a charger in a plug socket which is turned on, even if its not charging anything it will still draw power....

However in answer to your question it wont damage the charger only waste electricity...