android
Old 05-29-2008, 01:54 PM

Lightbulb Making my own wall charger

I was searching for a proper wall charger for ZVM but I didn't find any. There were PSP chargers, but they are unbelievable expensive for a charger. So I decided to build on myself. I can get the connector from an uncle of mine. For the charger part, I found out that the certain Nokia phone chargers like this one used for my Nokia 1200, is 5V and the ZVM's connector dock says 5V.

Anything else I need to keep in mind before I start?

Cheers,
Milad

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any USB wall charger can charge your zen. It may not be worth the trouble to make your own when you could buy one for under $10.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not every wall charger can charge the ZVM. Some will and some will damage it if not within the power specifications of the ZVM! You need to check the specs of the adapter first to make sure they are within what the ZVM supports. This includes at most 5V DC, 2.4A, and a positive polarity on its center tip.

The ZVM can be charged either using the USB port or the dongle. Charging through the dongle is usually what is recommended since the USB port on the Zen has been known for being sensitive when charged by AC adapter. The dongle will help ensure that no higher current will get to the ZVM while charging. Some here, including ZenChick, recommend not charging through the USB port at all unless it is charging by computer only. However, if you do, please make sure the charger falls within the specifications I mentioned above regarding voltage, but no more than 500mA (same as USB) for the amperage.

Charging through Dongle: 5V DC, up to 2.4A, positive polarity on its center tip.
Charging through USB: 5V DC, up to 500mA

I think the safest bet is to purchase a charging adapter that is within the ZVM charging specs and charge through the dongle or use a USB cable and charge while connected to your computer.

Cruelworld: Come on now miss. Are you trying to get people to fry their Zens so they can buy Zunes?

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-29-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

IMO the safest bet would be the PSP charger. Granted, it's a bit expensive but think of it as insurance that nothing bad will happen.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Granted, it's a bit expensive but think of it as insurance that nothing bad will happen.
Price is aa problem for me you know. I'll try a PSP charger, but first let me see where I can get it cheap.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just came from Rat Shack and seen some chargers from $8 to $20 that would work just fine. One was even a PSP charger for $15. They really are inexpensive.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
Any USB wall charger can charge your zen.
I'm going to try to pretend I didn't see that.

*cringes and curls up in a fetal position in the corner*

Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
I'm going to try to pretend I didn't see that.

*cringes and curls up in a fetal position in the corner*
BobbyRS already corrected me on this. And I apologized to him. I assumed like many other players it would work just fine with most.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:01 AM

Subject:Wall Charger
I have a spare SONY AC-ES455K 4.5V, 500mA charger. The 500ma is within the ZVM spec but would the lower Volts cause damage? or would it just load slower. Any electrical bods that can clarify if this matters??
Thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

4.5v/500mA should be just fine. As long as the charger is center positive.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-01-2009, 04:20 AM

Thanks BobbyRS, the charger is (was) part of a Sony CD player. Perhaps an idea to start a thread listing suitable chargers? like you have for hard disks?
thanks

Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Any charger (in good quality, good working order, connected properly) within the charging specs listed above (and in the FAQ) should be fine.

Zen FAQ