android
Old 05-31-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Help with MediaManager when ripping Audio CDs

I have just bought the NWZ-A818 and have just ripped my first CD (a commercially available disc) to the Walkman using the Sony MediaManager software. Unfortunately it hasn't picked up the Album details from Gracenote and I can't seem to be able to add the information manually.

I don't want a player full of entries consisting of Unknown Artists and Unknown tracks - a nightmare to find anything.

Can anyone please suggest what I might be doing wrong and what I can do to put it right?

Many thanks,

cmaggiec

Last edited by cmaggiec; 05-31-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Typo in header

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just use another program to rip and manage your library. The Sony prog is kinda' limited. Anything EXCEPT iTunes that is. That 1's not gonna work.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 AM

nywytboy68,

Thanks for your help. As a newbie with mp3 and WMP, can I ask some more questions?
  1. The instructions with WMP are not very clear - is there a more user friendly site / guide somewhere on this subject?
  2. I have ripped a CD which WMP has copied to the library, but not to the player (it also seemed to take a long time to rip it). How do I now copy it to the mp3 player?
  3. Is there a way to copy direct from CD to mp3 without having to go through the library?
  4. My mp3 player seems to have copied across loads of stuff from an old iTunes library belonging to my son. How do I delete this both from the WMP library and the mp3 player?
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this. I can't believe how difficult they seem to make it!

cmaggiec

Old 06-01-2008, 05:04 AM

Reply in red
  • The instructions with WMP are not very clear - is there a more user friendly site / guide somewhere on this subject? – Did you try the help files on WMP? Or MS site? I never really liked WMP and don't use it, but if you want a great knowledge base try the hydrogenaudio knowledgebase. I use EAC & Lame ( Fryth's EAC Ripping Guide), also MediaMonkey and Mp3tag (for ID3 tagging)
  • I have ripped a CD which WMP has copied to the library, but not to the player (it also seemed to take a long time to rip it). How do I now copy it to the mp3 player? Depends on how your player is connected, if in mtp mode you just sync with wmp and if in msc/ums mode you drag & drop.
  • Is there a way to copy direct from CD to mp3 without having to go through the library? Why would you want to do this and not have a backup on your pc?
  • My mp3 player seems to have copied across loads of stuff from an old iTunes library belonging to my son. How do I delete this both from the WMP library and the mp3 player? It must have synced with your WMP, you’ll have to correct in your sync settings for future sync. You should be able to connect your player and delete the stuff you don’t want. As far as your library, you can delete from there or WMP

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-03-2008, 07:54 AM

Media Manager is useless for getting the CD info from the internet. I'm fortunate in still having SonicStage loaded. I use that to get the info and then use MM for the transfer. A pain in the rear, but at least I have a workaround.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Reply in red
  • Is there a way to copy direct from CD to mp3 without having to go through the library? Why would you want to do this and not have a backup on your pc?
I would actually ask the opposite question of you. If I already have the CD why would I want a backup on PC? All that is doing is taking up disk space.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keitht View Post
I would actually ask the opposite question of you. If I already have the CD why would I want a backup on PC? All that is doing is taking up disk space.
You might not want a back up on your pc. But I do even though I have the CD's as well, I do not want to re-rip if for any reason I have a crash. Plus having over 35 GB of music all on my pc, makes it easier every time I want to change out the music on my 8 GB i7. Plus I play music from my pc almost every time I'm on it

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc