android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman A Series

Old 05-31-2008, 07:01 PM

Default [WinXP] Sony NWZ-A818/A816 is not recognised

Hey ABI people, here's the problem...

When I plug the player into the USB on my PC it shows a loading bar. Once that loads it says "LOW BATTERY - Please Charge". Then, it comes up with the music screen where I can play around 4 tracks which come with the player, such as "Jack Ingram's Ava Adele". Now, as much as I love old Jacky boy's music I'd much rather have something from my own collection to play. Anyway, after about 10 seconds it says "Fully Charged". This can't be true because the player does not come charged and it definitely hasn't been plugged in long enough to charge up fully.

When I plug it in, Windows brings up the "Install new hardware" wizard, which is odd considering it's 'plug and play' and doesn't require any drivers to work in XP. In Windows' device manager the player shows up as "WALKMAN" in 'Other devices', but has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. The player is also not visible in 'My Computer'.

I DO have WMP11, Microsoft Net Framework 2.0 and Sony Media Manager, yet the player is STILL not recognised.

If anyone can suggest a solution I would be greatly appreciated...this is really annoying me now! How can such a 'supposedly' simple process turn into something so excruciatingly tedious!

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Faulty player maybe? Return for an exchange and see if problem is solved. Seems like were getting bad apples (pardon the pun) all over the site. As for the Sony software - ditch it - it's really crappy!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:11 AM

Try connecting it in another XP machine.
Connect it to a diferent USB port

Old 06-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That exclamation mark next to the entry means that the player is getting recognized correctly, it is just that Windows is having problems loading the driver for it. If you double click on the entry, what does it say under device status for the reason for the error? It may just be something keeping the driver from loading like another service, software, or lack of driver file. Once the error is resolved and the driver loads correctly, the A818 should show in My Computer as a portable device and work just fine.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-01-2008, 06:28 AM

@ nywytboy68 - Really? I hope it's not faulty...I'm positive it's my system because it's quite tempramental anyway when dealing with anything USB. Sending it back is a final option.

@ emfa - I tried connecting to another USB port and got the same problem. I have also tried connecting it to a different machine and it did work. It installed correctly first time, without any issues.

@ BobbyRS - I see, but why is it even looking for a driver if it's plug and play? Is there a system file it uses that I may have deleted in the past? Under 'Device Status' it says: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver."

Last edited by Audity; 06-01-2008 at 08:52 AM.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

All device require the use of a driver to work within the operating system whether or not it is plug and play supported or not. Plug and Play is supposed to handle the driver installation automatically. However, some times something can interfere with the driver being installed. You can try to go about installing the driver manual in a few ways:

To change the driver or install the driver in case of error:

1. In Device Manager, double left click on the Walkman listing under Portable Devices.
2. Select the Driver Tab and then select the Update Driver box.
3. Select the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
4. Select MTP Device within the Model box and select the Next button.
5. Windows will then install the MTP driver.
6. Select Close on the next two screens and Device Manager should show the Walkman under Portable Devices with no errors.

To force the Device to use the MTP driver when connected and asked for drivers:

1. With the Walkman connected, uninstall the Walkman listing within Device Manager.

2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate into your windows/inf folder and "Copy" (not Cut) the wpdmtp.inf to your desktop.

3. Now connect your device and when it detects it as a new device, don't "automatically install driver. Select " click to specify the location..." and choose not to search for the driver. Click the option to specify what driver you want to use. Click next.

4. The next window should ask you what driver to use and the top of the list should say "show all devices." Click next.

5. The next window select "have disk" and point the path of the driver to the desktop where you put wpdmtp.inf and select OK.

It should then force the MTP driver to load for that device. You have now reinstalled all USB and USB host controller drivers and forced the Zen to use the correct MTP driver it is supposed to use. Again, try to see if your problem still exists.

If you can't install the driver when it is first detected or update it in device manager without an error code, try it this way:

1. With the Walkman connected, right clicking on the driver when it shows in Device Manager and select Uninstall.
2. Then try and add the Walkman as a MTP device using Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Manager.
3. Manually select the MTP Device and it will load the MTP driver for the Zen.
4. If you ever get prompted with anything saying that the device may not work properly or the driver isn't for that device, go through with it anyway.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-01-2008, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the reply, but there are a few things that I need clarification with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
4. Select MTP Device within the Model box and select the Next button.
5. Windows will then install the MTP driver.
There is no 'MTP Device' option (or 'Media Transfer Protocol'). Might other drivers work such as 'Portable Devices' or 'USB Controller'?

Quote:
2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate into your windows/inf folder and "Copy" (not Cut) the wpdmtp.inf to your desktop.
There is no file of that name in the windows/inf directory. Was this guide originally intended for use with a Zen player, rather than Sony which is what I have? I have downloaded the wpdmtp.inf file but I'm wary about using it if it might be the wrong one.

Quote:
2. Then try and add the Walkman as a MTP device using Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Manager.
3. Manually select the MTP Device and it will load the MTP driver for the Zen.
Again, there is no option to install hardware as MTP.

Thanks for the reply but have you any further suggestions?

-Audity =o

Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
There is no 'MTP Device' option (or 'Media Transfer Protocol'). Might other drivers work such as 'Portable Devices' or 'USB Controller'?
Portable Device = MTP Device

Quote:
There is no file of that name in the windows/inf directory. Was this guide originally intended for use with a Zen player, rather than Sony which is what I have? I have downloaded the wpdmtp.inf file but I'm wary about using it if it might be the wrong one.
If the file is not there, then I would question whether or not MTP is installed correctly on your computer. That file is the MTP driver that is used by Windows for MTP devices regardless if it is the Sony or the Zen. You can try using the file you downloaded, but I would be concerned that MTP hasn't properly been installed so just having the driver for the device may not be enough to get it working properly.

You may want to download and reinstall WMP11 in order to get MTP working again.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-01-2008, 01:12 PM

Ok I used the wpdmtp.inf file and now the player is charging for the first time. However, the device is still not recognised as a drive in 'My Computer', only an 'MTP Device'. It also doesn't show up in 'Disk Management'.

Could re-installing WMP11 remedy this?

-AudiTy =o

Old 06-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

An MTP device will not show up as another drive or in Disk Management. It will show as a Portable Device. It should be listed under My Computer as a portable Device. You are thinking of an MSC/UMS device as opposed to an MTP device. Open up WMP11 and see if it is a recognized device.

As for the charging, that sounds correct. Attached devices that are capable of charging via USB ususally don't begin charging fully until after enumeration (the driver loads properly).

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-01-2008 at 01:24 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
An MTP device will not show up as another drive or in Disk Management. It will show as a Portable Device. It should be listed under My Computer as a portable Device. You are thinking of an MSC/UMS device as opposed to an MTP device. Open up WMP11 and see if it is a recognized device.
Thanks for the help with this.

The player is not recognised in WMP11 or Sony Media Manager and I can't drag n drop files on the MTP Device in 'My Computer'. I'm trying to rollback WMP11 and reinstall it. It keeps saying "Windows Media Player 11 rollback is complete" but it's still in the Add/Remove list. Possibly because I deleted the XP hotfix and backup files so it's got nothing to roll back too?

I know it's gone a bit off topic but any help, again, is hugely appreciated.

-AudiTy =o

Last edited by Audity; 06-01-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem .

Try following the directions from here on removing WMP11. You can try reinstalling over top itself first. If that doesn't work, then try rolling back to a previous version.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
No problem .

Try following the directions from here on removing WMP11. You can try reinstalling over top itself first. If that doesn't work, then try rolling back to a previous version.
Thanks I will try that and report back

-AudiTy =o

Old 06-01-2008, 04:49 PM

w0000t! I have successfully reinstalled WMP11 by deleting the registry keys suggested in the article posted by BobbRS, then installing WMP11 over the top. Now it recognises my player and I'm able to transfer music.

Thanks for all your help guys, especially BobbyRS you legend

-AudiTy =o

Old 06-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad it WASN'T a defective unit & sorry to have jumped the gun - ENJOY!!!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good deal and good job!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Hi, i have tried all that but my Sony Walkman Isnt Recognised at all! it installs as a unknown driver? please could some send me there .inf file and the mtp drivers if they can. thank you.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

mugs101: Pay close attention to this thread when reading. There is more to MTP than just having the inf/driver for the device. The Media Transfer Protocol still needs to be installed and the only way to do so is having the Windows Media Framework installed. The Windows Media Framework/Media Transfer Protocol can be installed with WMP10 or WMP11 (preferably WMP11). After WMP11 is installed, you should then have the correct inf/driver for the MTP device and the necessary framework/protocol for it to work.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
mugs101: Pay close attention to this thread when reading. There is more to MTP than just having the inf/driver for the device. The Media Transfer Protocol still needs to be installed and the only way to do so is having the Windows Media Framework installed. The Windows Media Framework/Media Transfer Protocol can be installed with WMP10 or WMP11 (preferably WMP11). After WMP11 is installed, you should then have the correct inf/driver for the MTP device and the necessary framework/protocol for it to work.
yes i no that but ive done it all. i was trying something with my inf file and i got my walkman to work as a disk drive instead of mtp and now it just installs as a unkown driver. ive installed everything again yet it does not work, does this mean it is a problem with the mp3 device it self?

Old 06-11-2008, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you mean it installs as an Unknown Device? So what happens if you try updating the driver (see post 6 above)? Have you tried a different USB 2.0 cable and different USB ports? Are you able to connect it to a different computer to see if it gets recognized properly?

What OS are you using and what version of WMP does you have installed?

Zen FAQ