android
Old 06-02-2008, 06:15 AM

Default 60gb zen with 30gb Mainboard?

Ok i have/ had a 60gb vision m. Something went on the board and i couldn't find another model on ebay. So i got a 30gb model with a broken screen off ebay. I have swapped boards but when the zen boots it says Firmware problem and jumps to recovery mode. I tried a firmware upgrade for both 30gb Firmware and 60gb Firmware but they both claim that i haven't connected the device and won't try. Creatve's recovery tool does detect it which is strange. On my windows vista machine it detects the zen and lets me browse it but it detects the HDD as 50mb. As i thought the HDD was faulty i got another one off ebay only to find the same problem. I tried connecting it to a windows xp machine but the creative software does not even detect the zen but windows does.

So the question is what else can i try?

The xp machines does have WMP 11 on it

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you formatted the player in recovery mode?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 AM

Done format and clean up on both 60gb drives. No difference. Did spot that when format was complete, the zen stated 50mb free as windows did. I was wondering if its the same fault as the one with the Zen Xtra Fimware.

I found a soloution to it here.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=9829

Have not had the change to try it yet.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Since you are using the 30GB ZVM's mainboard, I believe you will have to use the 30GB firmware due to the mainboards being (hardware) different.

Quote:
Did spot that when format was complete, the zen stated 50mb free as windows did. I was wondering if its the same fault as the one with the Zen Xtra Fimware.
Yeah the ZVM being seen as a 50MB device is pretty typical when there is a missing or corrupt file system (or failed hard drive). I believe the 50mb space is being seen because Recovery Mode, which is stored in the flash ROM and not the hard drive, is programmed to set aside or see this allocated space for the firmware.

Since you have already formatting the drive in Recovery Mode, using the 30GB mainboard and a 60GB hard drive, boot the ZVM into Recovery Mode and select the Reload Firmware option. When it is ready, connect the ZVM to the computer and either install the latest 30GB firmware or run the Recovery Tool.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-03-2008, 03:55 AM

Problem solved. I put the zen on an xp machine and i still had a problem and found out it was stupid media player 11. I always thought it was ok as my 30gb zen works fine and i can update new firmware on it. I uninstalled it and tried the firmware and it worked. I had windows media player 9 on it. I have installed media player 10 now.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Great! Happy to hear you got it all worked out, but I'm a little confused.... So, how was WMP11 causing the problem? You mentioned that you had WMP9 on it, so I am wondering how it even worked correctly with the 30GB ZVM. Was WMP9 on it when you uninstalled WMP11 and then you upgraded to WMP10 to get it to work?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-05-2008, 03:05 AM

Sorry for the rubbish reply. I was trying to type fast as i was at work.

What i did was connect the zen to my works computer. I notice i still had the problem. I read a few article's and they said that i should use windows media player 10 not 11 on xp. So i unistalled wmp11 which rolled it back to wmp 9. I still had the zen plugged in at the time so i restarted the pc. Once in windows, the zen was detected but the sync manager icon in system tray was different. In wmp 11 the icon was always like a small mp3 player but now it goes back to the orange and geen arrow with a small mp3 player. So i tried a firmware upgrade and it worked. I have now installed wmp 10 because everywhere says you need it.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. I understand. Good to hear. It looks like we were on the right road anyway. Thanks for the update!

Zen FAQ