android
Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Number of files on Pilot

I keep reading different answers, so could I please get a definative answer
before I buy a SDHC card. Can I put more than 2000 files (songs) on the Pilot spread over the internal and external memory? For example 1500 on internal and 1500 on external? Or is it straight 2000, no matter where they are? I'm not sure if I should stick with an 8gb card, or splurge for the 16gb.
And if it is only 2000 items, has anyone heard if this will be fixed with a firmware update? Other than that, and the bookmark issue, I love this player!
Thanks in advance for your answers!
S

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM

Going over to the DAP Review forums it appears that there is much uncertainty and conjecture regarding the file item limit on the Pilot - some swear they cannot get more than 2000 items to show up in the media manager, some say its 2000 per memory device (i.e., internal and external are counted separately) and others say its 3000 or even 4000 items and some say it depends whether you are in UMS or MTP mode. The only confirmation, of sorts, was provided by Digitaldel, an Insignia insider and member of their MP3 player design team (who also used to regularly post here) who states: "Yes, presently the way it works is that you get 2K + 2K for Int/Ext and 3K Int assuming you have no external. This would reference to some of the findings on this or the post over at ABI. We are looking at what we can do to increase this limit." That was posted in November 2007 and still no new firmware nor any indication when it would be provided.

I personally have over 2400 items showing up in my media manager on the Pilot. I have 8GB internal + 8GB external.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I ordered the 8gb card, think I will wait on the 16 to drop in price a bit more before I order one. I will report back after I get it!
S

Old 06-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I keep reading different answers, so could I please get a definative answer
before I buy a SDHC card. Can I put more than 2000 files (songs) on the Pilot spread over the internal and external memory? For example 1500 on internal and 1500 on external? Or is it straight 2000, no matter where they are? I'm not sure if I should stick with an 8gb card, or splurge for the 16gb.
And if it is only 2000 items, has anyone heard if this will be fixed with a firmware update? Other than that, and the bookmark issue, I love this player!
Thanks in advance for your answers!
S
The Pilot can only hold 2,000 files in the Now Playing list. You can have more though. If you go over the 2k mark, you can still play the files by playing them through the File/Folder browser.

I am not 100% certain that more then 2k files will show up in the ID3 Tag browser.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Thanks for the info. I ordered the 8gb card, think I will wait on the 16 to drop in price a bit more before I order one. I will report back after I get it!
S
I waited for the 16GB to drop in price, I bought mine at $70 with card reader. Now I wish I have waited because I never use it because it takes 24 seconds to boot the player!

Remember having files on the SD card will render slower start up times

Old 06-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
The Pilot can only hold 2,000 files in the Now Playing list. You can have more though. If you go over the 2k mark, you can still play the files by playing them through the File/Folder browser.

I am not 100% certain that more then 2k files will show up in the ID3 Tag browser.
Then why is my now playing/play all list showing over 2400 files? (Note that I have an 8GB SD card installed). I think what you are saying is true only if you don't have an SD card installed otherwise the 2000 + 2000 applies per Digitaldel below.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
Then why is my now playing/play all list showing over 2400 files? (Note that I have an 8GB SD card installed). I think what you are saying is true only if you don't have an SD card installed otherwise the 2000 + 2000 applies per Digitaldel below.
Ahh makes sense, when I used my SD card, I took everything off the player and put it all on the SD card, which would get capped at 2k.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertrussian View Post
Ahh makes sense, when I used my SD card, I took everything off the player and put it all on the SD card, which would get capped at 2k.
What is really interesting is that if Digitaldel's info is correct (and I would hope it is considering he's on the design team) is that if you don't have the SD card installed, the internal limit is 3000 BUT with a card installed the internal limit is 2000 (+2000 on the SD card). In any event, I agree with you that the excessive boot times with an SD card installed suck big time.