android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen V

Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Angry Zen V Plus Power/Charging Problems

Please help. I just got it this week as a gift and it won't turn on. It was working earlier today but now will do nothing. I have pushed the reset several times and nothing. Thank you if you can help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-06-2008, 02:02 PM

Try to connect it to your computer and see if it charges/lightens up the display. If everything fails, try to get it back to the shop or RMA.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 01-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hiya Heather, and Welcome to ABi!

It does sound like your player needs to charge. If it doesn't appear to charge on your computer, see if it will on another one.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
-Kat

Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 AM

u have to tear it apart and physically disconnect the battery

Old 05-17-2008, 09:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Mech.master: the OP (who I doubt is even following this thread anymore due to it being over 4 months ago) is having the problem of turning the Zen V on, not turning it off. A disconnected battery won't allow for the Zen to turn on. If you meant to say disconnect and then reconnect the battery......

Leave it connected for a few hours charging before attempting to open up and disconnect/reconnect/replace the battery. Better yet, if you have a compatable wall charger, use it instead.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM

Default Zen player doesn't charge, lights don't flash

I have a Zen V 1GB player I bought in United States two years ago (I live in Argentina), and today I hooked it up to my PC to transfer some music. I used my player quite regularly, and I didn't do anything to it, but today the player didn't turn on, didn't charge when hooked up to my computer, the lights on the buttons don't flash even when the player is connected to the computer, and Windows doesn't recognize the player. I fear this indicates a battery problem. Is there anything I can do?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try leaving it plugged into the computer for a while; overnight or all day if you can. Hopefully you'll get it to begin charging and turn back on. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 PM

The player still doesn't charge I left it plugged in for five hours...

Old 05-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try double or triple that time to make sure. Recovering/charging an over-discharged battery via USB can take a really long time.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-29-2008, 11:08 PM

Default Charging problem/malfunction

I've had my creative zen v plus for a few weeks now and it's been giving me trouble. Almost everytime I leave it overnight to charge I find it off. And when I try turning it on the normal way (on button) it doesn't work so I hit the reset button and it works fine.

Now last night I left it to charge and this morning it was the same drama all over again but this time the player wont go on at all. The blue light just keeps blinking. I've tried holding down the on switch down and hitting the reset button but nothing works.

When leave it in connected to the pc long enough it does go on and shows the battery is red then goes off and on again. Just as it goes off, the battery low caution icon comes on for a split second. And the cycle continues

Is there some way I can reboot it and start afresh. I don't mind losing my files as long as it fixes this problem.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like you have a bad battery in need of replacement. Leaving the device plugged in every night all night long is not a good idea. Although once it is charged to 100%, the battery's internal voltage cut-off circuit should keep the battery from over-charging. However, keeping a Lithium-ion battery plugged in and fully charged, keeps the battery's temperature elevated. Exposure to prolonged elevated temperatures can cause capacity loss which can then cause the battery to no longer be able to charge or hold a charge.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 PM

So chances are I wont be finding a replacement unless I go to creative labs themselves ?

Should I get a new player all together or leave creative products all together ?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you don't want to send it back to Creative for replacement, you can attempt to replace the battery yourself. I believe the battery part number is:

DAP-FL0040

EBay has a ton as well as this site. Here is a video on how to open the Zen V. Good luck and welcome to ABI!

Zen FAQ

Old 05-30-2008, 01:01 AM

You know sometimes I would plug it in to charge but the green thunder sign wouldn't appear. So maybe when I left it on last night it didn't charge at all. Does that happen ?

I think the source of all my problems is poor charging.
For instance on the first day I charged it for several hours (10+) because It wasn't showing me that the battery is full.

Then the only time I used to charge it was when going to bed (but not everyday, maybe every other day or so) and each time I'd wake up it would be off. Is it supposed to do that ?

I also read your Zen FAQ and there are so many things I was doing wrong. For instance I used the player for maybe 3-4 hrs straight yesterday and when the battery was maybe 1/4 left, I switched it off and kept it. Then a friend asked to borrow it for an hour or so after which I plugged it into the pc to charge and woke up this morning to my current state of problems.

I am thinking about buying a new one even though I had this one for barely a month and hopefully I will manage it better but it seems to delicate.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it definitely sounds like you have a battery related issue, most likely due to poor charging habits. Honestly, you can get this with just about any DAP these days since most use Lithium-ion batteries now. It really sounds like it would be worth it to just replace the battery instead of just buying a new player.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-30-2008, 11:14 AM

I wish I could replace the battery but where I am (Malaysia) they are rare and getting in touch with Creative is something else. I got it off ebay malaysia.

I know they sell the battery on ebay(U.S) but buying it from anywhere outside malaysia might cost nearly as much (including shipping and all that) as it will to get a new player here.

I am in no rush. Maybe with some luck I might find it (the battery) but it's unlikely.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's understandabe. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM

I had the exact same problem as you and was really ticked off with it. But I finally got it to work.
I'm sure some of these steps are unnecesarry, but it was obivously a specific combination of some of them that made it work, so you might just want to follow exactly what I did.
(1) Hit the reset button for 5 seconds.
(2) Hit the reset button, slide down the on/off slide, and have it plugged into the computer at the same time. Hold for 5 seconds.
(3) Hit the reset button again.
(4) Charge it for at least 10 hours in the port in the BACK of your computer.
(5) After 10 hours, unplug the player and press the + volume button. While still holding it, plug the player back in. Keep holding it for 5-50 seconds. (most likely nothing will pop up).
(6) Let the player sit UNPLUGGED for a good 3 hours.
(7) Plug the player back in (it should light up now). Let it charge the usual time it takes to charge for an empty battery, about 6 hours.
(8) Should be as good as new!

I know this is a long process, but if you really want your Zen V back, it's worth it! Good luck!

Oops...I forgot to add that before you plug it back in, uninstall ALL of the programs that came on your Creative Zen V CD.

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-30-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:33 PM

The MP3 works again! Thanks for your help!

Last edited by MagnusMaster; 05-30-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's a good sign. It may now be charging fine. Leave it be for a while longer to see if it completely charges or turns on.

Edit: Great! No problem!

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-31-2008 at 12:32 AM.