android
Old 06-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Help Play during Charge? & Accessories ?

Okay, I am going to bite the bullet and buy and MP3 player of my own so I don't have to steal my daughter's anymore.

From the research I've done I like the Fuze and it seem to suit my needs well.

I cannot, however, find anything online that will tell me if it will actually play while charging. This is the one feature about my daughter's MP3 that drives us both crazy. (Rinky dink, kids toy... not sure if this is common for MP3 players or not)

I am not a good charger with my cell and I doubt I'll be better with my MP3, unless it is something that will play during it's charge time. I spend very little time at the computer, so most of my charging will be done in the car. I would like to be able to listen in the car and charge at the same time.

Anyone help me out?

Also, the one thing I like about ipod are all the docking accessories. Docking to speaker systems and alarm clocks while charging are very appealing to me. Are any available that sync with the Fuze that are worth noting?

Any suggestions for players and accessories would be welcomed and appreciated!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you use a USB changer or just the power from your USB ports, you should be able to play it while charging it. There is car chargers out there, too.

Please do not use iPod stuff on the Fuze's dock port. You can and will fry the Fuze. There is accessories for the Sansas out there tho.

The Fuze is a great player too.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 PM

You can check Sansa Store for accessories.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 PM

Thank you! I read in other reviews that some of the Sansa's do not have the ability to play and charge at the same time. I'm glad to hear the Fuze does!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:30 PM

How can i get Fuze to do that? My fuze will not let me play files while conected.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Pine D'Music, you need to somehow stop the Fuze from seeing the Data wires in the USB cable from being connected if you are talking about using your computer.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
Pine D'Music, you need to somehow stop the Fuze from seeing the Data wires in the USB cable from being connected if you are talking about using your computer.
So otherwise there is no known way to get the Fuze to play whilst charging? The included quick-manual says it cannot play while charging......unless a new firmware recently came out that allows for it.

Has anyone actually gotten the Fuze to do this without modding the cable/connector port?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 AM

All Sansas can play while charging, but they can't play while a data connection is active to the computer (i.e. when mounted as a drive in MSC mode or when a MTP connection is established).

USB connectors have four pins. The outer two pins are power and the middle two are data. As long as the middle two pins are not connected, you can use the player while it's charging. Most USB car and wall chargers only supply power over the USB connection and leave the data pins unconnected, so you can use the player while it's charging with these devices (I do this myself).

It's a little more tricky when connecting to a computer. In this case you have to make sure the middle two pins on the USB connector don't make contact. Usually, you can just insert the USB plug half way into the jack and this will allow the outer power pins to make contact but prevent the middle data pins from connecting. You can also use a small slip of paper to block the contact of the middle pins. Here's the pinout for a USB plug if anyone's interested.

Last edited by Skinjob; 06-10-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacene View Post
So otherwise there is no known way to get the Fuze to play whilst charging? The included quick-manual says it cannot play while charging......unless a new firmware recently came out that allows for it.

Has anyone actually gotten the Fuze to do this without modding the cable/connector port?
I have charged my Sansas while using it. I have used USB chargers and even Rzar/Blackberry charger with the Griffin PowerDock.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Okay! I am so confused. Am I able to play while charging (without having to modify the Fuze somehow?) Do I need special adapters or chargers to be able to play while charging?

Being able to play while charging is at the top of my list for my MP3 purchase.

I really appreciate all the input.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, you can charge it while using it. You use need an USB charger, or if you want to use your computer to charge it, you just need adapter that will not connect the DATA pin/wires. If you make the DATA wires/pins connect on the computer, you can not use it while it is charging.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:55 PM

www.gomadic.com Tip switching plugs, car chargers and usb connectors...I only have one plug at each place (car, work, home, and comp), but plenty of tips.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 PM

The fuze will play and charge at the same time with a USB connection to any PC if you can unmount it. Or, if you are lazy like me, just barely plug it into the USB port and it you will see the battery icon at the bottom start charging but it will not interrupt play. I am doing this as I type this response!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

this is what you can use to charge and play at the same time

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...46&dcaid=17946

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=208448366

Old 07-04-2009, 08:39 PM

I use the usb to fuze cable with my cigarette to usb in my car to charge while I listen
to the fuze. if your trying to charge and use it while plugged in a computer as
others have said you will need a usb to fuze cable that has the data lines (2 and 3)
clipped (skinjob had a nice detailed reply).

my wife has one also but misses her Bluetooth headphones. but thats a side note.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 PM

As far as the cigarette-to-USB car charger, my experience with them is that, while driving and listening, they make a terrible buzzing noise on top of the music = no charge and listen in car.
*If anyone has a used a Fuze car charger that does allow you to listen while charging, I'd like to know too.

If you have a laptop, you can charge and listen when the laptop is in standby mode (power light flashes), that is, when the MP3 player is connected to an "inactive" PC. This is similar to the above mentioned "unmounting the device" method.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Default You can play while charging with a wall socket.

If you plug your Fuze into a wall outlet or a 12V cigarette lighter, you can play your Fuze while charging without a problem. For example, you plug your Fuze to a wall outlet while you're lying in bed enjoying the latest love song from Metallica or power ballad from Natalie Merchant.

If you charge via the USB port on your computer, you can't play anything. When connected like this, the Fuze goes into "Connect" mode and expects you do move files to and from it.

Have fun.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwoodchuck47 View Post
If you charge via the USB port on your computer, you can't play anything. When connected like this, the Fuze goes into "Connect" mode and expects you do move files to and from it.
If you're running Rockbox on your Fuze, press the Select button as you plug the cable in.

This will tell Rockbox to just use the USB for power and not immediately reboot to the OF for file transfer.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:31 PM

Default my fuze don't charge and play when in my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
All Sansas can play while charging, but they can't play while a data connection is active to the computer (i.e. when mounted as a drive in MSC mode or when a MTP connection is established).

USB connectors have four pins. The outer two pins are power and the middle two are data. As long as the middle two pins are not connected, you can use the player while it's charging. Most USB car and wall chargers only supply power over the USB connection and leave the data pins unconnected, so you can use the player while it's charging with these devices (I do this myself).
I'm glad it works for you BUT

I just bought a sansa fuze 8gb to play mp3's in my car via my aux-in port. When not connected to my cigarette lighter usb generic charger sound's on!
Plug the power in - the screen shows music playing but no sound!
Cut the power-sound is crystal clear...

And there is no power or signal to pins 2&3. I checked it with my multimeter instrument.
Some say sansa needs 2.5 volts at pins 2&3 to work with these setup.

Anyone has got a sansa specific usb wall or car charger to measure the volts and polarity at pins 2&3???

Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM

I have a generic "USB port with a wall outlet" charger that I just plug my Sansa cable into, and that let's me play and charge.