android
Old 06-09-2008, 06:13 PM

Default How do i make playlists

I have tried dragging and dropping files from my desktop to playlists in insignia internal folder, ive tried using windows media player 11 making playlists and synching them, am i doing something wrong? Help would be so much appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2008, 07:47 PM

The only program I know how to make playlists on is Winamp. I am sure that it works with others, but I guess I am too lazy to learn any other way! I also have my Pilot in File/Folder mode. If you want me to describe how I do this, let me know, cause it is just lots to type if you don't want to try anything besides WMP 11.
Don't mean to sound cranky, just house full of kids, renovating, AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! I'm sure it will calm down one of these days here!
S

Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 PM

I use Rhapsody from the CD that came with the Pilot...sure, it's not the greatest media player, but it works. I create a new playlist, drag and drop songs onto the playlist, and then on Rhapsody, if you have the Pilot plugged in, you can click "transfer" and put it on your Pilot.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:25 PM

If WMP 11 is like whatever came with Windows XP, you need to specifically save the playlists in M3U format, and then remove all the blank spaces between entries (in a text editor or something). The Pilot doesn't know what to do with those spaces.

There might be another way

Old 06-15-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAxis View Post
If WMP 11 is like whatever came with Windows XP, you need to specifically save the playlists in M3U format, and then remove all the blank spaces between entries (in a text editor or something). The Pilot doesn't know what to do with those spaces.
Hi. I've tried that but I guess incorrectly cause when I select the playlist in the music library and press play, nothing happens. Could you post an example of a working M3U playlist?

thanks

p.s. I make my playlists in Winamp

Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 PM

I just create a playlist in WMP and then just add that playlist to the sync list and hit the sync button.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:51 AM

I've tried everything I could, I still can't get the playlist to work. The only playlists that work are the ones linked to music on the internal memory of the Pilot, playlists linked to content on the SD card refuse to work. Playlists located on the SD card in folders with mp3's also refuse to work.

Last edited by astronaut; 06-22-2008 at 12:56 AM.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 PM

COuld someone cut an example out of a playlist that works and is saved on the Pilot. I am having difficulty getting the file names correct. I think if I can see an example I might be able to figure out what is wrong with the lists I am creating.

Thank you

Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoothman View Post
COuld someone cut an example out of a playlist that works and is saved on the Pilot. I am having difficulty getting the file names correct. I think if I can see an example I might be able to figure out what is wrong with the lists I am creating.
Here's the first three songs from one of my playlists, hope it helps;

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF174,The Rolling Stones - Time Is on My Side
..\Rolling Stones - The\Hot Rocks - 1964-1971 Disc 1\01 - Time Is on My Side.ogg
#EXTINF170,The Rolling Stones - Heart of Stone
..\Rolling Stones - The\Hot Rocks - 1964-1971 Disc 1\02 - Heart of Stone.ogg
#EXTINF137,The Rolling Stones - Play With Fire
..\Rolling Stones - The\Hot Rocks - 1964-1971 Disc 1\03 - Play With Fire.ogg

I used relative path naming to avoid having to code the entire path.
My music folder structure on the Pilot (internal memory) looks like this:

music\
music\000_playlists_mswindows\Rolling_Stones_-_Hot_Rocks.m3u
music\000_playlists_mswindows\Artist_-_Album.m3u
music\Rolling Stones - The\Hot Rocks - 1964-1971 Disc 1\01 - Time Is on My Side.ogg
music\Rolling Stones - The\Hot Rocks - 1964-1971 Disc 1\02 - Heart of Stone.ogg
music\Rolling Stones - The\Hot Rocks - 1964-1971 Disc 1\03 - Play With Fire.ogg
music\Artist\Album\01_song.ogg
music\Artist\Album\02_song.ogg

I've never been able to use playlists for content on my SD card. It would be nice if the user manual would explain how to do that.

For the internal memory, I build my playlists using a bash script that runs the program "fapg" on my linux box.
To play albums from the SD card, I use the File Browser and add them to the "Now Playing" list (e.g., select the first song/file in a folder, click, then select "Add All".)

Old 06-24-2008, 10:22 PM

Mark541,

Thank you for recommending the program that did the trick. When I did a diff against my hand generated ones I did not see any differences. So it must have been some deep magic like character sets or something.

stoothman

Old 07-26-2008, 11:01 PM

Default EasyTAG works too

I tried using several native Linux apps capable of creating playlists with no success, until I tried EasyTAG. The attached image shows the settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg settings.jpg (74.6 KB, 34 views)

Old 07-31-2008, 06:36 AM

Does that really work on the player? And if it does explain how to do it. The only reason I am keeping Windows is for this reason.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 PM

Thumb Up

Yes it works, I've made several playlists this way. Just open EasyTAG, browse to your music directory and highlight the songs you want added. Click Misc > Write Playlist ...

I used the setting in the picture I posted, but you can play with them if you like.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota14 View Post
I have tried dragging and dropping files from my desktop to playlists in insignia internal folder, ive tried using windows media player 11 making playlists and synching them, am i doing something wrong? Help would be so much appreciated.
AN EASY WAY TO CREATE MACINTOSH PLAYLISTS ON AN INSIGNIA PILOT.

OK - I've been a die-hard Apple fan for 20 years! It was really hard to choose the Pilot over the Nano, but the Pilot just had so much more going for it.
So for you Mac people with Pilots, just drag-and-drop your tunes from your iTunes music folder - or if they're already on your Pilot "move" them to the playlist folder into a newly titled folder of your choice (e.g. jazz, gospel, quiet music, kids music, etc.). Don't worry, they will show up in the main music list as well.
Unplug the Pilot, go to Settings and select Folder Browser. You'll see a folder labeled NS-xV24 (at least that's what mine says). Navigate down to your particular playlist and select "play all".

You're good to go.
(NOTE If, after you've located your folder, you hold down the right thumbwheel arrow, you'll automatically launch the player. You'll have to experiment with this a bit to get the hang of it!

Now if I can just get rid of "Unknown" folders and multiple Artist listings I'll be happy!!

Last edited by skippierce; 08-08-2008 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Additional info & misspelled words.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:25 PM

Wow.

I made a playlist for some songs on my 8GB SDHC card in WinAmp, then I saved all 3 file types in a folder called _playlists_. I popped it into my PILOT, opened the _playlists_ folder with the file browser, and... NOTHING!

Ha ha ha.

What am I doing wrong?

I DO NOT WANT TO USE RHAPSODY.

I just want a nice easy drag & drop player... no synching... I was lead to believe that this was easily done with the Insignia.

Is the File/Folder mode mentioned above different form the regular mode...?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:08 PM

I use Rhapsody, but i also tried Windows Media Player a few weeks ago. It actually worked; i dragged the songs i wanted onto the Now Playing List, and then i saved it in M3U format.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiXeLsyD13 View Post
Wow.

I made a playlist for some songs on my 8GB SDHC card in WinAmp, then I saved all 3 file types in a folder called _playlists_. I popped it into my PILOT, opened the _playlists_ folder with the file browser, and... NOTHING!

Ha ha ha.

What am I doing wrong?

I DO NOT WANT TO USE RHAPSODY.

I just want a nice easy drag & drop player... no synching... I was lead to believe that this was easily done with the Insignia.

Is the File/Folder mode mentioned above different form the regular mode...?

Maybe the "_" before playlists is unrecognized?

I Use WMP11 sometimes and drag-and-drop sometimes...always directly to my SDHC. I use the SDHC for my CD's and downloaded music and I use the internal memory SOLELY for Rhapsody channels...currently 26 channels and 3000 songs.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaruNinja View Post
I use Rhapsody, but i also tried Windows Media Player a few weeks ago. It actually worked; i dragged the songs i wanted onto the Now Playing List, and then i saved it in M3U format.
Interesting. I saved mne as the 3 different things that WinAmp could output.. *.m3u, *.m3u8, & *.pls.

The file browser wasn't picking up any of them.

Perhaps I'll ditch the underscore as noted above... or maybe it has to do with there being more than 2000 songs on the card? (I listen to a lot of punk rock... short songs!)

That really is a ridiculous limit.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:42 PM

I just found out a nice little trick (It may be doccumented elsewhere here but I couldn't find it so sorry if this is a repost)

When you want to edit your Rhapsody Channels on your pilot (Rhapsody has a crappy interface so this works MUCH better) connect your Pilot to your computer and open up WMP. Go to the Sync tab and click on your Pilot. There you can select Artist, Album, Songs, Genre, Year, and rating. I eliminated the Country and Rap genres and edited the other playlists with a few clicks and didn't have to wait forever for the Rhapsody interface to scan, then delete the files...it all happened immediately.

You can't access the playlist itself but you can trim down what you don't like quickly and make sure that music you don't care for is immediately eliminated.

I hope this helps someone.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchchowder View Post
Maybe the "_" before playlists is unrecognized?

I Use WMP11 sometimes and drag-and-drop sometimes...always directly to my SDHC. I use the SDHC for my CD's and downloaded music and I use the internal memory SOLELY for Rhapsody channels...currently 26 channels and 3000 songs.

I just realized that 3000 is way over the theoretical 2000 song limit...could this be when loading songs into Music instead of Rhapsody, or IS there a limit???