android
Old 06-13-2008, 11:03 PM

Unhappy Will Creative Be Able To Fix My Zen?

Something is wrong with my Zen... It was fine and happy when I put it on the counter. But then my nieces grabbed it and dropped it. Then when I turned it on, the sound is okay... It is still making that flicking noise when I use the touchpad... It is still playing music... But the screen stays black. Before when they started messing with it, it was fine. The screen was fine. Now it is messed up!

Before my nieces was always drop it once and the screen would be black! Then they drop it again, and its okay! But this time,....

I bought it in November 2006 so the warranty expired... Can Creative still be able to fix it and what would the estimate of the charges be? And how would I be able to tell Creative about my problem? What do you think is wrong with my Zen? Been like this since a day now...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It could be as easy as a loose LCD connector or as bad as the LCD being permanently damaged. I would at least open it up first to see if the LCD connector is just loose. Tighten it back up and hopefully all is good again. If it is more serious, then you can consider sending to Creative. However, LCD issues are mostly looked at as the users fault and not the manufactures, so be prepared to hear a decent dollar amount quoted for repair. Depending on the price, you may want to consider replacing the LCD yourself. There are a few places online to buy just the screen. Below are a few guides to help you out.<O</O
<O</O

You should be able to replace it using this guide.<O</O
Here is a YouTube video of the LCD being replaced.
Here is a YouTube video of the battery being replaced.
Here is another video of the disassembly.<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 06-14-2008, 05:42 PM

I can try to disassemble my Zen... But I'm scared that I might do something wrong... Might lose a certain piece... Yet again, disassembling my Zen does sound kinda fun... Is there a store like Circuit City that can check and see what is wrong with my Zen?

Old 06-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just watch the videos/guides and take note of everything you disassemble and you will be fine. Don't count on any retail stores knowing anything that would be true to help you with your Zen. Your best bet is use the Internet with sites like ABI .

.....and yes, it is very fun.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 PM

lol.. thanks a lot you guys!

Old 06-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Reply back and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 PM

Arg... I still gotta take it back to Creative. I asked my dad if we had a small screwdriver and he kept asking "why", "what's wrong?"... Then I found out we don't have one after 50 questions... So he suggested we go to a "nerd store" as which he call it but really he mean a Computer place... We went to CompUSA but they moved (I think they went out of business) and then he suggest that I go to the place where I bought my Zen and see if they have Creative's address... Then we went and they have no address... They said to e-mail them... Didn't I suggest that in the first place?? I went through all of that just to do what I thought of when the problem first happened!

Should I take it back to Creative? There is another "nerd store" by this gas station... Should we at least take it there and see if they can tell me what the problem is? Before I send it back to Creative and pay "x" amount of dollars...

My dad said don't buy that screwdriver because he said what's the point of using it when a "nerd" can fix it....

Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you can't do yourself, send it back to Creative. Just because they are computer stores doesn't mean they know anything about repairing MP3 players (or even computers for that matter).

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.

Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 12:28 AM

Umm...I bought it in Nov 2006, you think I still think I got warranty? lol....

Old 06-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No. Usually Creative's warranties are for 90 days labor and 1 year for parts. However, Creative should still be able to repair it. I believe they charge a $25 fee for looking at it and then they will let you know the cost for repair.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 PM

Dang.... So that was what that $25 is for when I tried to e-mail them.... I wanna get it fixed myself but I want it to get it done right...I don't wanna try to fix it myself and end up messing up something else and end up spending all my graduation money when I could fixed it when it all started happening... What do you think I should do?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM

Now I know what is wrong with my Zen... It is the connector... Me being curious... I disassembled it... Then I was messing with the connector and it was on! It looked a little yellowish... So I messed with it.. Then I it was normal.. Then I when I tried to put it back together, it turned back yellowish... Then I took it apart, no more screen...At least I know what is wrong....

Old 06-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, I would at least do what I mentioned in post 2, but it appears you may be having parental issues with that one so do what they ask/tell of you. So, it is up to you. If you have someone look at it, you will be spending money. Depending on what is wrong will determine how much money. If you send it to Creative and have them check it out for $25, they should then get back to you and tell you how much to repair. You can then decide from there depending on the amount.<O</O

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-19-2008 at 04:02 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Now I know what is wrong with my Zen... It is the connector... Me being curious... I disassembled it... Then I was messing with the connector and it was on! It looked a little yellowish... So I messed with it.. Then I it was normal.. Then I when I tried to put it back together, it turned back yellowish... Then I took it apart, no more screen...At least I know what is wrong....
Well there you go. Good job. Does it look more like a loose connector, plug, or bad cable?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 10:20 PM

Hooray! It's fixed! When it was yellowish and took it apart, it got disconnected... So it took me a while to get it back connected... It even stated to get me a headache but i fixed it! Thanks a lot Bobby! Love ya! Bye!

P.S: Do you know where I can get a on/off/hold switch thingy for my Zen? It kinda cracked in half when my nieces founded it...I can still turn it on and off... But I wanna get a replacement...

Old 06-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hooray! It's fixed! When it was yellowish and took it apart, it got disconnected... So it took me a while to get it back connected... It even stated to get me a headache but i fixed it! Thanks a lot Bobby! Love ya! Bye!
Alright! Good to hear. Don't be a stranger around here.

Quote:
P.S: Do you know where I can get a on/off/hold switch thingy for my Zen? It kinda cracked in half when my nieces founded it...I can still turn it on and off... But I wanna get a replacement...
Outside of buying some type of as-is ZVM off of somewhere like EBay (part swap), no, not really. Sorry. <!-- / message -->

Zen FAQ