android
Old 06-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Default Is there a certain folder structure?

Hello. Just got my Pilot a couple of weeks ago & just got around to adding music to it. I have all my mp3's in this folder structure: Artist/Album/Songs. I added them to the player via drag & drop into the music folder on the Pilot.

The songs are there but all songs, artists, & albums are showing up as "unknown" via the library & by file & folder functions.

A side note: When I first got the player, I just dragged & dropped a bunch of video files (converted with Media Converter) onto my SD card & they would show up with the proper titles & such. Now however, it doesn't matter which card I put into the unit, all video files also show up as "unknown" but will play just fine.

I just need to know if the Pilot will only recognize a certain file/folder structure so I can try to get this to display properly.

I just LOVE this player & it's a definite change to the 3G Ipod I was using for the last 4 years. Thanks so much for any help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 AM

I had the same problem in the beginning (newbie also). I deleted all the files, and retagged all the files using MP3Tag, all though in the same folder fashion as you did but with one difference: I did Artist/Album and then songs in same folder. (To make sure all are on the same page. For example:
Steve Vai - Fire Garden (is the folder name)
inside folder is the songs and album artwork (if you wish))
All is cool in the home front. I thought maybe it was the "drag & drop" method that was screwing me up so I tried, real late night, Media Player to sync and it worked! All I heard from this site it how bad it was but, so far, it does well.
Hope this does not confuses you too much (or at least help)!!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 02:29 PM

If you use foobar2000 (possibly others?) to manage your tags, it writes ID3v2.4 by default. The Pilot seems to poorly understand this tag format. mp3tag, as suggested above, defaults to ID3v2.3, and that seems to work MUCH better. Wikipedia has a basic, high-level explanation of ID3 tagging. Personally, I use fb2k's File Operations to copy files out of my main archive and rename from "<artist> - <album>\<artist> - <##> - <title>.mp3" to "<artist>\<album>\<##> - <title>.mp3", then open the copies with mp3tag and convert id3v2.4 to id3v2.3 and strip id3v1. I also convert my "cover.jpg" art to embedded art with mp3tag (also a step to make sure they aren't progressive JPEG), but if you didn't need to do that, there is probably a suitable command-line tool for converting from 2.4 to 2.3. Then I have folders that I can just copy over to the Pilot. All this trickery is why I would love for a firmware update to include id3v2.4 support and external album art support.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the replies. After I got home I deleted all files on the internal drive & set the USB to Automatic & used the Rhapsody program to sync the files to the player again & now all is well. Well, almost... I have several albums that didn't have artwork so, I went & got all the artwork into the same folders as the music but when I synced again, the artwork didn't get updated.

Looks like I'll be trying out the foobar2000 & mp3tag programs to get this mess straightened out. I tried the MediaMonkey program but didn't see how to get it to sync with the player. It shows the player as being connected but is it as simple as dragging & dropping from the library to the player?

Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 PM

Oh, if you don't already use foobar2000 and you are wanting to use MTP (Automatic, instead of Files & Folders or MSC), then fb2k is NOT the way to go. It's highly customizable and can organize your music in about any way you can imagine, but it's not exactly user-friendly. I mean, if that sounds good, then great, but it's not part of the easiest route to getting music on your Pilot.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:44 PM

Looks like things are looking up for me. Figured out MediaMonkey & got it to sync! Man, when you only use 1 program for years, there's still a learning curve with new programs no matter how much they look like iTunes...

Old 06-17-2008, 11:42 PM

The Pilot can pick up properly tagged (ID3 v2.3) files anywhere on the system. I have had a flat file structure with all the music files simply in 'music', and then since that made using folder mode impossible, they're now broken up into 27 folders by first letter of artist's name (including 0 for artists with numbers). It still works.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:28 AM

Yeah even though the majority of the files are showing up properly, I'm going to get MP3tag & go thru all the files to make sure they are tagged right.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:30 PM

...mmm MP3tag my friend....