android
Old 06-18-2008, 07:12 AM

Default Help! Firmware Upload Problem!

a while back my player went into recovery mode when i booted it up, and it would'nt come out of it.
so i formatted it and tried to re-upload the firmware.
the firmware has been erased and it tells me like normal to upload via USB.
so i downloaded the latest firmware update, and opened it, but when the update opens it doesnt read that my player is connected.
i get "Your player is not connected, please connect your player."
and the upgrade button is grayed out.

now here is what i dont understand.
when i connect the player via USB, it comes up in my computer, under portable devices, so why cant the firmware update read it?...
i click on it in my computer and it just shows the 50MB flash thingy where the firmware is stored like it should.
so surely thats all the update program needs and can install it?
it just doesnt make any sense to me...

im running on Windows Vista Premium.

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited by cjistheman; 06-18-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

In Device Manager, where it is listed under Portable Devices, is it in error state or is it installed properly? Do you see it listed under My Computer as a portable device? Are you using any Creative software? If so, I would remove it for now until you get your connection issue resolved.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 AM

Default I need help with my ZEN Vision M 30BG

Hello, I just brought a ZEN Vision M 30 GB four days ago, I been trying to get this Mp3 player to work. I have it finally charging after four days having it plugged into my PC and wall outlet. I have read the comments on this site what to do if it does not work, not connect, blah blah. My PC shows that my ZEN is connected, I have re downloaded the software over 5 times, I have done the uninstall the ZEN software and went back to Windows Media 10...Nothing worked. Now I have re downloaded the software once again. My ZEN is in Recovery Mode and will not change. I have tried doing a Recovery System on my PC but my PC won't allow me to turn it on. My ZEN will not connect to any of the softwares, Windows Media, ZEN media, and others.

May I get some help with this issue please?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I have it finally charging after four days having it plugged into my PC and wall outlet.
So, it would not power on when you got it?

Quote:
My PC shows that my ZEN is connected
How does it show this? Where are you looking? Does it show that it is loading the driver for it with no error in Device Manager under Portable Devices? Do you see it as a Portable Device under My Computer?

Quote:
I have re downloaded the software over 5 times, I have done the uninstall the ZEN software and went back to Windows Media 10...Nothing worked
What exactly isn't working?

Uninstall all Creative software for starters. You don't need it. You mention WMP10 is installed. Is that still the version you have installed?

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-18-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:38 PM

I have the MP3 in recovery mode, it says "Docked". I looked in my computer and the MP3 player is there. I connect it to my computer and an icon on my bottom address bar shows the MP3 icon for a few seconds then it's gone. I checked to see if the USB was recognizing it, said everything was installed and it was working fine. But when I open the Vision Media Explorer, Creative Media Source, Windows Media it says connect MP3. I have reinstalled the ZEN software and Windows Media 11...Nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 06-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What firmware version is installed on the ZVM? Does it boot up normally or alwasy boot into Recovery Mode? Again, get rid of the Creative software. Since you can see it in My Computer, try draging and dropping some files to it.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 01:18 PM

See, I have to connect it to download the firmware. It's a refurbish ZEN I believe. When I got it, it was working fine until I connected it to my computer.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, you can download the latest firmware from Creative's web site here. No need for their software.

Again.....

Quote:
What firmware version is installed on the ZVM? Does it boot up normally or alwasy boot into Recovery Mode? Again, get rid of the Creative software. Since you can see it in My Computer, try draging and dropping some files to it.
Quote:
When I got it, it was working fine until I connected it to my computer.
Reminds me of this famous quote:

Quote:
To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer. ~ Paul Ehrlich

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 01:42 PM

Default .

yeah ive looked in device manager now and its says that its installed properly.
and i look in my computer and the 50MB flash section thing is there under device manager, it just seems to be a problem that when i want to upload the firmware it doesnt read my player, for some stupid reason.

i'll admit though, i have had problems with the headphone socket, and its broken, and i need to pay to have it repaired, i opened it up quite a few times to check if i could do anything about it, but there wasnt really anything i could do.

maybe i damaged the hard-drive or something in the process?
but im not sure i couldve as it wouldnt come up on the computer, etc if i damaged right?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:04 PM

The firmware version is 1.40.02_0.00.16 and it roots up in Recovery Mode.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you get any errors when you formatted in Recovery Mode? When in recovery mode, try doing a cleanup. If you get an error message, then I would say you may have issues with the drive; especially if you had errors when formatting. If those options work ok, select the Reload Firmware option. After it removes the current firmware, connect it to the computer and execute the latest firmware (30GB Firmware or 60GB Firmware). However, before doing any of this, especially since you are running Vista, remove all Creative software!

Oh, do you have another computer that you may be able to use to see if it gets recognized correctly enough to reload the firmware?

Edit: Also try this:

To re-install the Zen's MTP driver if not being recognized correctly:

1. With the Zen connected, in Device Manager, expand the Potable Device category.
2. Right click on the Creative Zen listing and slect the Uninstall from the menu.
3. Once it is uninstalled, disconnect the Zen from the USB port.
4. Wait a minute, then plug it back in and take note in Device Manager that it refreshes and reloads the driver properly.
5. Once it reloads the driver properly, open My Computer and see if it shows correctly.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:01 PM

I'm having the same problem as cjistheman.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Threads merged.

Dar29: also try the above now.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-18-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:47 PM

Unhappy hey

right, ive tried un-installing the software on my computer, that was fine but didnt do anything.

i tried it from another computer but still when i clicked the firmware install it asked me to connect my player when it was already connected.

i didnt bother with the drivers as it is recognized and installed fine.

i tried a disc clean-up etc... they all went through 100% and were fine.

i tried dragging some words docs, mp3's etc into the drive Labelled "storage media" (just to see if it worked) but still, that wouldnt work either.

Still no normal home screen.

any more ideas man?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Two things....
<O</O

1. Try reinstalling the driver with the info from my post above. This could get it refresh its connection and get the software to recognize it. <O</O
<O</O

2. Boot back into Recovery Mode and select the Reload Firmware option. This will erase the firmware (possibly corrupted) and allow a reload of a fresh version of the firmware. After it erases what’s left of the current firmware, plug it in and try executing the firmware file again.<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 04:13 PM

Unhappy Hmm..

yeah i did the uninstall and it always installs it correctly.

you told me to boot it into recovery and then reload firmware... that's what ive been trying to do for the past 6 months, i dont have a choice, as it automatically goes into recovery mode... but the the firmware upload never worked like i said, because when i go to re-upload the firmware onto my player after erasing it the firmware software/application that comes up when you click the green icon thing doesnt realise that my player is connected, when it very much is.

GRR.

any had anyone else with a similar problem?
any more idea's...?
i'll try anything.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
that's what ive been trying to do for the past 6 months, i dont have a choice, as it automatically goes into recovery mode...
Oh, ok.

Quote:
any had anyone else with a similar problem?
Yes, I have seen plenty. The ZVM being seen as a 50MB drive is typical of when there is no firmware loaded on the ZVM. This makes sense since you have booted into Recovery Mode and selected the Reload Firmware option which will erase the currently installed firmware.

Now usually, to get the firmware reinstalled, you will need to find an XP/Vista computer that will not only install the MTP driver propely for the ZVM, but also have the MTP framework installed and working correctly. If MTP is not functioning correctly, then the MTP device ususally isn't detected correctly by any MTP software. Besides finding another computer that has MTP installed and functioning correctly and can detect the ZVM in order to reload the firmware, you can try:

1. Creative's Recovery Tool - This will ensure that the correct firmware gets downloaded and installed on the device.

2. Correct the MTP issues you seem to be having by trying a reinstall of MTP. With WinXP, the MTP Framework is installed with WMP10 or WMP11 (preferably WMP11). With Vista, MTP is natively supported. Before doing this, what version of WMP do you have installed?<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 09-14-2008, 12:23 PM

Default hello

Hello. I've got the same problem as cjistheman.

Information:
-Windows Vista Home Premium (even Ultimate dosn't work)
-All Updates up to now (14.09.2008)
-Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB without any firmware...

-Windows Media Player 11.0.6001.7000 =)

Wath i've tryed, Situation now:
Trying everything like reinstall software, deinstall player in the vista devicemanager with properly reinstalling by vista. De- and reinstall Creative Media Explorer (no other software from crative is installed). Even the cool fixup.cmd.....

If i put in the USB-Cable in, the dialoc-box open. I can open the Creeative Media Explorer, i can also open the storage media (with crazy 51'200 KB)
WMP does't recongnise the Player.

I can download the Firmware directli from the American or Europe site, i can use Creatives MP3 Recovery Tool, but all results in the same window who told me, that i shout be so nice to connect my player. Well

Have i told, that the Player display me docked?

Okey, now i have a great MP3 player, without any software and im not able to put the firmware on my baby.

Any ideas?

I write now to the support ant trying tommorow, if the XP in the company could handle this.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargarot View Post
Hello. I've got the same problem as cjistheman.

Information:
-Windows Vista Home Premium (even Ultimate dosn't work)
-All Updates up to now (14.09.2008)
-Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB without any firmware...

-Windows Media Player 11.0.6001.7000 =)

Wath i've tryed, Situation now:
Trying everything like reinstall software, deinstall player in the vista devicemanager with properly reinstalling by vista. De- and reinstall Creative Media Explorer (no other software from crative is installed). Even the cool fixup.cmd.....

If i put in the USB-Cable in, the dialoc-box open. I can open the Creeative Media Explorer, i can also open the storage media (with crazy 51'200 KB)
WMP does't recongnise the Player.

I can download the Firmware directli from the American or Europe site, i can use Creatives MP3 Recovery Tool, but all results in the same window who told me, that i shout be so nice to connect my player. Well

Have i told, that the Player display me docked?

Okey, now i have a great MP3 player, without any software and im not able to put the firmware on my baby.

Any ideas?

I write now to the support ant trying tommorow, if the XP in the company could handle this.
You must use a XP computer running WMP10 to update the firmware

Old 09-15-2008, 02:48 PM

Problem solved. It works with the XP...

Realy great support from Creative. Why its so hard to support the not very new Vista? I realy dont get this.

Anyway, my player works now....

Thanks for the advice.

Tags
firmware, vision, zen