android
Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear Gargarot!

Quote:
Why its so hard to support the not very new Vista? I realy dont get this.
Without getting too off-topic.... it is a mixture of Microsoft's different OS structure and the software company's ability to adjust to those new changes. It comes down to utilizing a lot of time and money to adjust.

Enjoy!

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 AM

hi everyone!
i have a very similar problem with my ZVM and i am close to giving up. it feels like i've tried about everything that what i've found here except taking it apart.

last weekend my ZVM froze so i tried reseting it but it kept freezing while starting up. i've tried the recovery tool but that wouldn't recognize my player.

long story short i saw that the problem could be that i have windows vista and wmp 11. so i've tried a different computer with XP and wmp 10. i choose "reload firmware" and reinstalled the firmeware. it seemed that it worked as the computer now recognizes the player as the ZVM but when i start it it says "firmware problem" and goes back into recovery mode. i have also tried the recovery tool which starts running and during the last 1/4 of upgrading the ZVM starts clicking and humming. after a while the program states that the upgrading has failed.
i am thinking that that's probably the hard drive making that noise.

anymore ideas what i could do? does it sound like i probably need a new hard drive?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello ProvehitoInAltum. Welcome. It sounds as though you may be having a hard drive issue (possibly failing). The firmware is installed and runs from the hard drive. The fact that it is booting directly into Recovery Mode usually means there is a problem with the firmware or the hard drive the firmware is running from.

As a test, I would boot the ZVM into Recovery Mode and select the Reload Firmware option. This will erase the currently installed firmware and allow you to install a fresh version of the firmware (from the XP/WMP10 computer). If you continue to have issues booting the ZVM correctly, I would consider opening up the ZVM to check out the hard drive and maybe reseat the connection to see if it gets you a better result.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-05-2008, 02:56 AM

Thanks for the tips and the help. I've tried what you suggested but sadly it still doesn't work. So now I went to a store and ordered a new hard drive. Thought that is the cheaper solution to buying a whole new player. I am just hoping it will work.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:30 AM

Hi!
I have a zen vision m 30gb with 1.62.02 firmware, but my zen hard disk has a problem.
i cant upgrade firmware:S
Help

Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balu1992 View Post
Hi!
I have a zen vision m 30gb with 1.62.02 firmware, but my zen hard disk has a problem.
i cant upgrade firmware:S
Help
Please refrain from posting the same request for help numerous times in the same thread & multiple threads, someone who owns a zen vision m will see your post and help.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome, balu1992. Does your ZVM actually show an error on the screen regarding the hard drive? Keep in mind the firmware won't install if you have a failed hard drive because the firmware is actually stored on the hard drive.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 AM

Default Same problem, Yet again...

Hi,

My friend has a Creative Zen Vision M, and for the last couple of months it has been giving the EXACT same symptoms as described above, i.e. Booting into Recovery Mode, Firmware wont install, 50MB storage space, also, The Creative MP3 Player recovery detects the MP3 player, but the Firmware install does not...

He gave it to me today and so far I have tried every thing on this forum, and on several other forums,
i have tried:
-->Windows XP and Vista Premium,
-->The latest firmware
-->The reload firmware button in the recovery menu
--> Creative's MP3 Player Recovery (which by the way, only downloads the latest firmware for the detected MP3 Player)
One forum said it could be the HDD cable, so i tried that, still to no avail.

Somethings i have noticed:
--> the 50MB storage space is still recognized without the HDD plugged in (but with the MP3 Player plugged into the computer)
--> the MP3 player will not allow the reload firmware to be initiated without the HDD, (despite the 50MB Storage space still being available)
--> The 50 MB of storage space SEEMS to be read only, either that, or it is reserved for protected Zen Vision:M System files (which is my bet)
--> The recovery Menu cannot be navigated through while the MP3 player is docked
--> The Firmware version the MP3 player claims to have it v0.0.16 (which is a little older than the v21.1.62.02 that im trying to install... lol)

Any ideas is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Old 10-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello jgamer. Welcome.

- Make sure you are using a good cable and USB port.
- Make sure you are using a WinXP computer (not Vista) to load the firmware.
- Make sure that WinXP is recognizing and loading the ZVM's driver in Device Manager with no error.
- Make sure that the ZVM is showing as a Portable Device under My Computer when connected and booted in Recovery Mode.

The fact that you are seeing the 50MB partition tells me you have a good connection, so most of the above doesn't really apply here in your case. The actual firmware is installed on the hard drive. The 50MB partition you are seeing is a reserved partition set aside by the bootloader of the ZVM ROM for the installation of the firmware.

Since you are having detection issues with the firmware program, I would ensure that you do not have any Creative software installed since they have been known to cause this same issue. Any chance you have another (WinXP) computer you can try?

Zen FAQ

Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 AM

Thanks for your responce

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
- Make sure you are using a good cable and USB port.
- Make sure you are using a WinXP computer (not Vista) to load the firmware.
- Make sure that WinXP is recognizing and loading the ZVM's driver in Device Manager with no error.
- Make sure that the ZVM is showing as a Portable Device under My Computer when connected and booted in Recovery Mode.
Full Ticks
Im using the original Zen Vision M USB Cable, Win XP Pro (SP3 if that makes a difference), The MP3 connects perfecly fine according to Device Manager, and the ZV:M is being detected as an MTP Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Any chance you have another (WinXP) computer you can try?
Yes, i'll give it a go in about 1 hr, and let you know

Thanks Again

Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem.

Any luck? Again, I would make sure that all of the Creative software is also uninstalled.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-07-2008, 04:36 AM

Hey, Sorry, im not going to get a chance to test that tonight... but i will try it ASAP, had more homework than i thourght

Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, don't worry. It will still be there later. Don't let it interfere with homework.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Yo,
my mp3 started freezing so i had to reset it a few times, and i got tired of it freezing so i reloaded the firmware, unfotunatly, when i downloaded the latest firmware of creative's website, the upgrade button was greyed out when i run it, i tried the mp3 recovery tool, it showed me up the same window with the greyed out button after downloading the latest firmware.
Info:
-my mp3 is now stuck i recovery mode with the old firmware 0.0.22
-i run windows xp
-i have no windows media player 11 installed
-i have all creative software uninstalled
-my computer recognizes well the software as creative zen vision:M, in control pannel it says that everyting is working properly
PLEASE HELP ME!!

Tags
firmware, vision, zen