android
Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Is my player dead?

Sorry about the reams of text, but i hope i've said all you need to know...

I bought a Zen vision:m 30gb off ebay yesterday, and was stated to being 'fully functioning'. I went to turn it on, no luck, so i though ill charge it (i installed the software before) and left it to charge for a few hours, no luck.

I then did the reset procedure and it came to life, until it crashed on the 'zen' screen, i repeated it a few times and got a little further each time.

Eventully i got onto the main menu and track list (thinking it was fixed) and the battery level displaying half full. However after 20 seconds, it froze, and after many attempts to reset and turn on it failed to boot.

I left it to charge for 7 hours (blue LED blinking to start, then stayed on blue when i got home) but the LCD not lit up, it still wont turn on whatever i try. I cant get my PC to finish off the driver installation process, because i havnt been able to get it to recognise the zen due to its malfunctioning nature. Because of this i cant use the 'recovery' tool.

Bear in mind this is used so there is no 'initial' charge. I'm totally stuck for ideas now (after reading reams of related cases) as is the suspicious seller, im not sure what to do (ie keep trying, or ask for a refund, or god forbid start up a 'dispute' on ebay). Normally id say, dead... but because it showed glimmers of life before, im not going to give up right away.

I just need to know, is it dead, if so... i need to arrange getting my money back from the seller.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I just need to know, is it dead, if so... i need to arrange getting my money back from the seller.

It is up to you as to what you want to do. It certainly isn't fully functional and would warrant a refund from the seller. Let me know if you are going to keep it (then I can try to help) or send it back. Keep in mind it may not be a quick fix and I can't guarantee it won't need new part to get it to work. Your call....<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 03:18 PM

well ill do what i can to fix it that doesnt involve spending more money. I mean, ill leave it over night to charge (as far as i know its charging). But im not really happy with it, or its condition, they guy said 'one small knick on the corner', he was very mistken, its covered in knicks. So, unless it gets working soon, and stays working, ill be having words.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, yeah then leave it charging overnight and go from there. Is the blue light flashing indicating it is charging?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 03:46 PM

well it was, now its just staying on blue, as if its on. But the LCD is off. I dont know if that means its fully charged or not. But no life.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's your call again, but I would seriously consider return it and asking for a refund. If not, you can try:

- using an AC charger for charging instead of the computer (more current for charging).
- opening it up and making sure the battery cable isn't loose or just need reseated (has worked many times before).

Zen FAQ

Old 06-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Well i dont really want to spend money on a charger if its faulty. But it seems to be totally sealed, as in, i cant get into the back?
I would straight away send it back at this point, but my i have reservations as it was not a shop who sold me the player, so refunds can be tricky.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
But it seems to be totally sealed, as in, i cant get into the back?

ABI Disassembly Guide. <O</O
Here is another video of the disassembly.<O</O
<O</O

Quote:
I would straight away send it back at this point, but my i have reservations as it was not a shop who sold me the player, so refunds can be tricky.

<O</O
<O</O
You have a defective unit let alone not living up to the high standards of EBay sold products . Demand a refund. You shouldn't have to go through all of this; even if it is a used ZVM unless it was listed as in this condition.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-19-2008, 01:57 AM

You're right... after leaving all night on charge, it fails to turn on, its been on charge at LEAST 10 hours. Not including all the charging i did yesterday. I think ill try get a refund.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I would. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-20-2008, 10:01 AM

I've ordered a new one now, so i have a player while i go through the busniess of getting this slow to respond man to refund.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you paid with PayPal, you may want to have a look at their Buyer Protection Policy if they do not cooperate.

Zen FAQ