android
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Inexpensive Bluetooth Car Audio Setup

I've found a relatively inexpensive solution to enable a bluetooth wireless connection between the Pilot and your car stereo, if the car stereo does not have bluetooth built-in. For several weeks, Best Buy has been blowing out their little Insignia bluetooth Ipod dock adapters for about $6 apiece. These little adapters consist of a stereo bluetooth receiver and an Ipod 30-pin connector that allows them to be plugged into an ipod speaker dock and paired with any A2DP bluetooth audio source (e.g., a Pilot player) for decent audio through the speaker dock. The speaker dock thinks its plugged into an ipod and the adapter gets its power through the 30-pin connector while simulataneously sending audio through same. I've found this little adapter will work with Ipod cigarette lighter adapters that have a 30-pin connector and wired stereo aux jack output connector (Griffen, Belkin, and Monster make these and they typically run between $20 to $40 online). I attach the Insignia bluetooth adapter thingy to the 30-pin plug, plug the ipod power adaptor into the cigarette lighter or power port on the car and a jumper cable between the ipod power adapter and the aux input on my car's audio system, pair the Pilot with the bluetooth adapter and voila - high quality bluetooth wireless audio on my car audio system. The advantage is that I don't have to repeatedly connect and disconnect my Pilot from the aux jack of my audio system alleviating wear and tear on my Pilot and head unit connectors. I just leave the IPOD cigarette lighter adapter, bluetooth reciever, and aux input jumper cable permanently installed and whenever I get in the car the Pilot will typically automatically pair up with the Insignia bluetooth receiver as soon as its powered up. Bottom line is a high quality stereo bluetooth setup in my car for less than about $30.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-21-2008, 01:34 PM

One thing to remember is that not all iPod connectors are created equal. I have an Alpine that uses the iPod interface, and it needs the iPod to have a slight amount of power before it will engage, and therefore actually power the dock connector (the example here uses a 12v power outlet that's indiscriminate). Since the Insignia adapter doesn't have its own power source, the Alpine never realizes that it's there. I bought one, tried it in the parking lot, and took it back. Also, I believe it doesn't support AVRCP, so you will have to control the Pilot directly rather than using the headunit controls like you would with an iPod (unless that's changed).

Old 06-21-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Driver View Post
One thing to remember is that not all iPod connectors are created equal. I have an Alpine that uses the iPod interface, and it needs the iPod to have a slight amount of power before it will engage, and therefore actually power the dock connector (the example here uses a 12v power outlet that's indiscriminate). Since the Insignia adapter doesn't have its own power source, the Alpine never realizes that it's there. I bought one, tried it in the parking lot, and took it back. Also, I believe it doesn't support AVRCP, so you will have to control the Pilot directly rather than using the headunit controls like you would with an iPod (unless that's changed).
Good point with power. The two ipod power/audio adapters I've used (Monster/Griffen) BOTH powered up the Insignia receiver just fine. Only the Griffen had ipod transport controls on the cigarette lighter plug and I confirmed that they are indeed not transmitted through the receiver (obviously the setup here assumes you don't have transport controls/bluetooth on your car's sound sytem's headunit - because then you would just wirelessly hook up to that). But frankly, those controls were not convenient, I just use the diminutive Pilot as if it were the remote control "virtually" changing programs on my car sound system. In this manner, since there are no wires attached to the Pilot, it looks and acts just like a remote control for my sound system that I can place anywhere I find convenient in my car, even though in actuality, the content is actually stored and being transmitted from the Pilot.

Also, these ipod adapters are not created equal when it comes to audio - the Griffen had a high/low boost/attenuation control and definitely colored the sound sent out its aux jack (bass heavy/suppressed midrange). The Monster had no such "volume" control and the sound seemed crisp and flat across the frequency spectrum (almost as if you plugged the aux jack mini-cable directly into the Pilot headphone output). Also, depending on how well you electrical system is grounded and filtered, you may notice some slight alternator whine when no audio is being pumped through bluetooth adapter.

Oh, and since my car sound system's headunit has an aux in jack, I'm not bothering with any iTrip like FM transmitters, which tend to degrade the sound anyway and with adding bluetooth to the mix would probably just make a bad audio situation worse.

Later...