android
Old 06-22-2008, 03:56 PM

Default T-10 Newbie questions

I've been reading a bit in the forums since coming here a few weeks ago when my husband received his T-10 as a gift.
I take it there's something different about a Best Buy T-10 than a standard one?
If, when installing the software that came with it, there is a Best Buy option as well as the SMS option for installation that means we have a Best Buy T-10?
No automatic firmware update occurred when I attached the T-10 and when I went to "check for firmware update" I got a message that "updates are not available"

It appears as though only mp3, WMA, and OGG music files are recognized to import into SMS. I have an iPod and iTunes and that music is either AAC or MPEG Audio Files. None of the AAC files are recognized and only some of the MPEG audio files are recognized, though all were ripped from the same CDs we own. I was hoping we wouldn't have to re-rip CD's or convert all the songs into MP3's in iTunes before transferring them to my husband's T-10.

So, where is the best place to purchase mp3's for the T-10?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-22-2008, 04:44 PM

You could get free converter software to convert your itunes music to mp3?
Rip songs to mp3 format from your CD's ?

Old 06-22-2008, 04:50 PM

Hi Wisconsin Mum,

I found this on a mac wesite:

"

The quick and easy answer:

1. Set your import encoder in iTunes to MP3.
2. Create a smart playlist where Kind is "AAC Audio File".
3. Select your new smart playlist, select all tracks, right-click, and select "Convert Selection to MP3."
4. If you want to delete the original M4A files, select all the files in your smart playlist and (on Mac) hit Option+Delete; there's no equivalent keystroke for PC, so you'd need to manually delete the AAC files from your library."

However, I think the new firmware update for the T10 allows it to play AAC songs? Check other posts here about how to install the new firmware.

John

Old 06-22-2008, 07:38 PM

Sounds like you do have a Best Buy unit.

and I think unfortunately there is no Firmware update for the Best Buy players that will allow you to listen to AAC files, as there has been for other non Best Buy T10's.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngs View Post
You could get free converter software to convert your itunes music to mp3?
Rip songs to mp3 format from your CD's ?
I can convert my itunes music to mp3's except for the purchased ones.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 PM

[quote=johngs;259790]Hi Wisconsin Mum,

I found this on a mac wesite:

"

The quick and easy answer:
1. Set your import encoder in iTunes to MP3.
2. Create a smart playlist where Kind is "AAC Audio File".
3. Select your new smart playlist, select all tracks, right-click, and select "Convert Selection to MP3."
4. If you want to delete the original M4A files, select all the files in your smart playlist and (on Mac) hit Option+Delete; there's no equivalent keystroke for PC, so you'd need to manually delete the AAC files from your library."

Thanks, John...this works for non-purchased songs and I have done that. It just is kind of a pain to have to convert, upload, and then delete them all again. But if that's what I have to do....

Old 06-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
Sounds like you do have a Best Buy unit.

and I think unfortunately there is no Firmware update for the Best Buy players that will allow you to listen to AAC files, as there has been for other non Best Buy T10's.
Thanks...that's what I was afraid of! We did convert most of what my husband wants on his player, but now he wants to purchase some songs. Obviously, I can't do it for him through iTunes. I checked out Amazon.com and they seem to have the downloads in mp3 form.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:29 PM

I'm a strong advocate of not buying DRM laden music for this exact reason.
emusic.com have a good range of Independent music also in mp3 format.
Your iTunes Music Store tracks can be burned to a CD and then re-imported as mp3. It's not a great solution but it's the best you have.
I buy my music on CD only... but then, I'm an album listener..not a track listener.