android
Old 07-10-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
BT huh - OOPS!!! I've yet to use BT headphones and prob never will!!
Heehee.. you can never tell. Maybe until you realize how good the BT headset sounds compare to the wired output in the A826, you will have similar opinion like I do.

Frankly, I love my EX90, it's compact and sounds great! But the problem is, the A826 just doesn't get enough juice to drive it. But then, it happens everything Sony try to shink their device.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-12-2008, 02:06 AM

dunno, sounds ok with my hd 497s:P
they are a couple steps above the 202's, they with the grado 60s were the value headphones around the 50 dollar mark for a couple years. the bass isn't weak, but it certainly isn't boomy like with the included buds, but the rest of the spectrum is reproduced much more accurately. i tend to like tight accurate bass more than the boom.
in any case it always sounds better than an ipod

Last edited by frimframsauce; 07-12-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimframsauce View Post
in any case it always sounds better than an ipod
Everyone who I know that owns an ipod says the same thing - they just stay for the added features and capacity. Sounds better than the ones I own also(ipods). Just wish Sony would break the 32gb barrier they seem to NOT want to cross.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:01 PM

oh i know first hand, have a 4th gen ipod and 2nd gen nano. they sound sad even with the sony headphones. theres plenty of things i like about them and it just makes me sad that they wouldn't fix the only big issue i had with the product. kept waiting...but after this many generations its getting absurd. so for now i jump ship from apple:P

as for sony, yea 32gb and sdhc support. these are disappointments. small touches like when the ipod pauses automatically when you unplug the headphones would be nice as well. the perfect player has not been built yet

Last edited by frimframsauce; 07-12-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

True, sad, but true!!! The worst part is that the Japanese ver/w sonic stage has so many more features (A829 I know of). They spanked us!!!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Try THIS (I originally posted this in another thread:

DAC settings (firmware menu)
Press "Back", then activate "Hold" switch. Now press "Option" and hold down
while entering the following w/the direction pad:
up, up, down, down, right, left, up , down, up ,down, right, play/pause

These are MY settings - kills the over-processed sound the A72X/A82X series has.
Bass: -0.0 @ 50Hz (default is -4.5)
Treble: -4.5 @ 15kHz (default is -0.0)

These work for me. You can ONLY adjust the bass & treble - but it seems to be enough to make it sound sweet (like my S618 - but BETTER). Now it sounds like a Sony should - clean sound, powerful bass, excellent highs - but now they're not overpowering and "piercing".
Well, I was curious and tried the DAC settings, but it works very strangly. I now can not change each frequency setting separately, I can only change EVERY eq setting at the same time by the same amount up to -0.0 decibels. There is no way for example to set the 50Hz setting to -0.0 and the others to -4.5. If I try to set the 50Hz setting to -0.0, EVERY other setting up to 250Hz also goes to -4.5 db! Is there any way to reset firmware menu and go back to original settings? The reset button did not help. I would appreciate any help on this matter.

I would like to drop the treble at 15KHz a little, but I do not dare, as touching the bass settings already messed up the firmware settings

As for the player itself, I'm very happy with ease of operation and sound quality, altough with some music I can not get quite enough bass with my Shure SE210's. Even +3 clear bass, it leaves the bass a bit weak with music that is not in itself mixed to be very bass heavy. I.e. there is not enough room to boost the bass. For most music the amount of bass is ok, but sadly one of my very favourite bands (Opeth) mixes their albums to be quite easy on the bass.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The firmware setting is set to -4.5 for the bass and -0.0 on treble as default. I find the treble over powers the bass too much - some have dropped it to -7.5 for the treble and really like the results. I listen to mostly rock and metal myself so it's a better sound overall. I think the last one you exit on is the main freq set on the player though. I use the settings and it works for me - you just need to find your own sweet spot is all. And playing with these setting will not damage the player either.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
The firmware setting is set to -4.5 for the bass and -0.0 on treble as default. I find the treble over powers the bass too much - some have dropped it to -7.5 for the treble and really like the results. I listen to mostly rock and metal myself so it's a better sound overall. I think the last one you exit on is the main freq set on the player though. I use the settings and it works for me - you just need to find your own sweet spot is all. And playing with these setting will not damage the player either.
Yes, I agree that the treble is a bit strong in some music and understand that I shouldn't be able to damage the player, but I cannot change individual frequencies like just the 50Hz bass frequency and leave the rest at a different setting. Can you? The same would seem to happen with the treble frequencies - i.e. I cannot change the 15KHz setting to (for example -4.5) without affecting the other frequencies as well.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just the way Sony rolled the dice. Test settings and see how it sounds to you as it's the same on my player. If you dont like the way it's altered then revert to default and enjoy. It's still spectacular sounding IMO. Sorry that there's not another alternative that would make ya' feel better though.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 AM

I feel perfectly comfortable with the player. I was just under the impression from what I read from your texts, that I could adjust each frequency separately from the DAC menu, but if I now read your latest text correctly, this is not the case and also in your player it only possible to change ALL the frequencies (like all the bass frequencies 50Hz-250Hz) by the same amount simultaneously in the DAC menu(?)

Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

These are settings I and a few others experimented with on Head-Fi.com. I never took credit - only trying to correct the over-processed SQ that sony put in my player. There is no way to alter individual frequencies - just general bass and treble - then any fine tuning through the EQ. It's not perfect - but what is? It's an attempt by me and others to rectify the strange settings that sony defaulted in the player is all. If you were happy with the SQ in the first place you should default it back and call it a day.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:42 AM

slightly dubious about the dynamic normalizer. is it just compressing the range? thats my guess, because real normalizers need to scan the entire file to get peak values and adjust.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Seems to enhance the audio and boost the volume a bit.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Try THIS (I originally posted this in another thread:

DAC settings (firmware menu)
Press "Back", then activate "Hold" switch. Now press "Option" and hold down
while entering the following w/the direction pad:
up, up, down, down, right, left, up , down, up ,down, right, play/pause

These are MY settings - kills the over-processed sound the A72X/A82X series has.
Bass: -0.0 @ 50Hz (default is -4.5)
Treble: -4.5 @ 15kHz (default is -0.0)

These are my EQ settings - find whats best for you:
Clear Bass: +2
Equalizer: +2, -1, +1, +2, +1
DSEE, Clear Stereo: OFF and Normalizer: ON

These work for me. You can ONLY adjust the bass & treble - but it seems to be enough to make it sound sweet (like my S618 - but BETTER). Now it sounds like a Sony should - clean sound, powerful bass, excellent highs - but now they're not overpowering and "piercing".

PS: This also allows you to access the service menu on the S61X/A81X series as well FWIW.
WOW!!
These settings should be stickied somewhere.
I changed mine to these, decreasing treble to -7.5 and cannot believe the difference.

This is simply the best player I have ever owned (in a long line of sony's).

Thanks for the tips.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Any time orph!!! Also, Welcome To ABI>>>!!!! Let the show begin!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 PM

Darkside, I think your settings are pretty good. I just tried them and they make a dramatic difference with the stock headphones. I listen to it almost exclusively in the car, so I have to see how much difference it makes there.

I listen to mostly jazz, like trio stuff, and it's very important to me to get that upright bass thumping properly. Like Ray Brown is known for his heavy hitting style on the bass, so I have to experience that. It's different than hip-hop bass (I don't know what you guys listen to). It's more of a rich thump, not a processed thump, it's probably not as loud.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:12 PM

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that the test menu, normally only seen by technicians if ever has smoothed fonts and an animated backgroud making much better use of the screen than the regular UI?

I find it really strange that the nice fonts are not used in the normal menu, they are one of the things that let the user interface down to me, it's obviously more of a problem on the larger screens but even on the 2.4" the font in the test menu looks smooth and not pixelated.

And why would they put a snazzy animated background in the technician menu and not anywhere else where the average user would actually see it?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 AM

Never really thought about it that way fatdeeman.
But what I really want is a firmware update with the features of the gen 4 Walkmans.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:05 AM

Oh yes, including bbc iplayer support!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 AM

dope! lol well the kids in my school only use ipods and they craped on me because mines aint louder they called it ****** to get a ipod....0.o

i noticed the difference i have a shuffle and i tested it and the shuffle sounded like pure trash

and everyone uses the jvc gummies

o yeah and is there anyway u can change the theme....

Last edited by The DarkSide; 01-28-2009 at 07:48 PM.