android
Old 06-23-2008, 03:14 PM

Default Just ordered Sony NWZ616 - need some tips

Hi, I just ordered a Sony NWZ616Fred. I have a couple older Sony MP3 players and was always impressed with the sound and build quality (although I never cared for Sonic Stage). I saw an internet ad today for $75 shipped brand new and that was the best price I had seen so I could not resist. Before pressing the "order" button I read a few reviews at places like Amazon and they were most favorable.

I have to wait a week or so for delivery and thought I would spend the time at places like this forum to read up and learn what I can. The first thing that I have found is that there is a "service" mode in this thing much like in a tv where various adjustments and tweaks can be made. Does going into this mode do anything noteworthy? One thing I read here was that the volume regulator can be disabled. This may help me as I'm 60 years old and my hearing is not in the best of shape. I often have to have the volume above normal. Can someone tell me if the normal volume levels are adequate for normal hearing? Some MP3 players play softly and some much more loudly just like some headphones are more efficient than others. If this model's volume is on the low output side I may want to fool with it in the "service" mode. I'm asking now because if I may have to do this I need to study quite a bit beforehand as I understand entering this mode is tricky business and could ruin the player.

Also, because most of my music is already ATRAC, does the new Sony players support this? One of the other things I read here is that Sonic Stage is a thing of the past and Sony is using WMP. But can I still transfer my ATRAC files to it? I have found nothing in my readings here one way or the other.

Well, I'm sure I'll be back with lots of of other questions once I get the player but does anyone have any tips that might be useful or that I can study up on in the meantime. Thanks to all - this is a very informative forum and I'm glad I found it!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-24-2008, 07:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No ATRAC and NO to Sonic Stage. All music must be converted to another format before using on the new players.
If your using the US version of the player there is NO volume limit - it's gonna' get as loud as it can so service mode isn't necessary. And it gets pretty "LOUD"!!!
As for the studying part - get the player and ask questions as they come up - were all glad to help ya' and
WELCOME TO ABi!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:12 AM

Thank you for all the information. I'm glad to hear the sound level is loud but I think it is too bad about Sonic Stage no longer being a program accepted by Sony. Not that I ever cared about the software itself - it was pretty stupid - but once I got use to it it was okay and produced some very good sound with ATRAC (better sound than most).

I've read some more threads here and found where a freeware program called "mediamonkey" works well with these Sonys. I have downloaded it and transferred some files. Now I will make some playlists and when the unit comes I'll be ready to go. All I have to do is find a program somewhere that will convert ATRAC to MP3. I have Windows Media and Real Player so maybe one of those will have a converter. I'll be back as I'm sure I will have many more questions and thanks for the welcome.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony gives a disc w/the player and it has the conversion software on it. And you are very correct, ATRAC was a great format - I wish they still allowed their players to utilize it!!! And like I said - were all happy to answer questions for you!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 PM

Hi
Once you've converted your atrac to mp3's, you might want to look at this thread. A nice little program, with a playlist feature, takes all the hard work from you.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=27370

And on the european sony site, here's the software to convert from atrac to mp3.

http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/d...-S616F&f=MP3CT

Old 06-25-2008, 06:47 AM

Wow! That is a whole new program. Frankly, I have not got a clue what dr. zoidberg is doing. It takes someone with a bit of computer knowledge to figure out what he is up to. That bit of knowledge escapes me.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortspark View Post
It takes someone with a bit of computer knowledge to figure out what he is up to.

No, honestly no computer knowledge needed, its very very easy program to use, just install the program, plug in your player, open the program up and then drag and drop your albums, and that's it....
Then you synch your player and away you go. It transfers your album art with your albums, and you can create a "playlist" with one click.

Worth a play with and if you don't like it, no harm done

Old 06-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Thanks Marie, I will try it. Now, if the darn thing ever gets delivered!

Old 06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Who sells it for $75?

Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Who sells it for $75?
It was on 1saleaday.com. $69.99 plus $4.99 shipping. In fact, just a few minutes ago I received an email from them that the Sony has been shipped and they even provided a tracking number. The good thing is this is a new unit, not a refurbished model like you see at a lot of other places.

1saleaday is a site similar to Woot, Lootpig and ThingFling. Each day they have a special deal and it is good for just a short time frame (never more than a day). For example, today they have a 2gb micro SD high speed flash card with adapter for $4.99, which is a pretty good price to say the least. You have to catch them quick as they sell out of their deals rather quickly.