android
Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 PM

Default 20,000 track limit?

Well, I put a TON of music on my ZVM today. I have ~22,000 tracks on it, but there appears to be a 20,000 track limit. I can play all the tracks on single albums and single artists, and I can view them on the "All Tracks" menu, but when I select them, it automatically goes to the first track, and says 1/20,000. And, when I go into the "Selected Music" menu, the end of the alphabet is gone! Oh, and when I transfer things to it, it assumes it is out of memory, but the player reports 10 GB free, and my computer says the same. Is it something in the firmware that I could change, or is it just a hardware thing?

--Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, that's a lot of music. It may look as though the ZVM's firmware has a 20,000 track limit that it will recognize. Creative has a history of this before. Even though you can get more files on the player and even have available space, the firmware/database currently may not handle more than 20,000 tracks within it. This limit could most likely be addressed by Creative in a new firmware release, but I doubt that will ever happen since the ZVM is now a discontinued product. You may want to take a look at Rockbox. It may be able to allow you to get more than 20,000 track loaded on the ZVM.<o></o>

Zen FAQ

Old 06-26-2008, 03:18 PM

I've been looking at rockbox stuff all day! I'm hoping that it gets done soon!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cool. Let us know how it ends up for you.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow! In the three-plus years the ZVM has been out, I think you're the first person to hit the filecount limit! Up until now, I didn't know the ZVM even had one. Twenty thousand tracks is one helluva lot of songs though! I assume this is a 60GB ZVM? Or is this one modified with a larger drive?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I assume this is a 60GB ZVM? Or is this one modified with a larger drive?
Good question. I'm wondering if there is a difference between the 30GB and 60GB firmware for a track limit. I am thinking no, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 PM

22 thousand songs is quite the feat, i have filled mine with songs before and only hit 6,000, but mine was a 30gb and many of those were 320kbps vbr, so i can see hitting 22k on a 60gb with maybe 64kbos or something

Old 03-28-2009, 08:02 PM

I can confirm this is a problem. I have a 30GB ZVM modded with a Toshiba 60GB MK6008GAH drive. I'm now looking at getting a larger drive so was worried about this 20,000 track limit.

Today I built a library consisting of 20001 1-second tracks, reformatted my Zen, and synced it up with WMP. I was able to sync successfully, and I can access the 20001st track through the playlist that contains it, through "Artists", or through "Albums". (Note that WMP has a 10,000 track limit on playlists, so I used three playlists . . . not sure if the Zen has a limit on tracks in a playlist.)

However, as the original poster stated, "All Tracks" does have a limit of 20,000.

That's too bad. Good excuse for a new player, though...looking at the Zune 120 now.