android
Old 06-28-2008, 04:26 PM

Default WMV Video

I understand the Pilot can play Windows Media video yet I have been unable to get it to do so. I have tried both Windows Media Encoder and Super and kept it to 320x240 yet I just get the unsupported video message. I have managed to convert videos using XVID on Super and they work fine apart from the odd glitch here and there.

So has anyone got Windows Media Videos (wmv) to work on their pilot and if so, what settings and software did you use

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Just use the Arcsoft Media Converter 2 that came with the Pilot (on the CD). When you open the program, on the left, it should say "Select Conversion Parameter". Set it to "Insignia WMV", then put the video you want to convert onto the list, and on the bottom, it should say "Convert To:". If your Pilot is plugged in, you can select "Current Device" and the converted file will go straight onto your Pilot once it has been converted. Otherwise, click the option "Folder" and you can click the folder icon next to the word "Folder" to select where the converted file will go to on your computer. Then, click "Convert" and you're all set! (You can also set the "Priority" anywhere from "High" to "Low" as you're converting; High priority makes it convert faster, but slows down other programs on your computer while you're converting, Low priority makes it convert slower, but allows other programs on your computer to run at a normal speed)

Last edited by SaruNinja; 06-28-2008 at 10:46 PM.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Just FYI: XviD in general makes better quality videos than WMV at the same bitrate. So if XviD works for you, no need to bother with WMV, in my opinion. Of course, if WMV has less glitches than XviD for you, then it's a valid reason to use Microsoft's codec.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:48 PM

Yeah Arcsoft Media converter works and indeed it seems only the wmv option works to convert asf files. It appears to convert them to wm9 format yet if I use the wm9 encoder it doesn't work even with the same settings. Seems the Pilot is very picky as far as wmv files are concerned.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvmp3 View Post
Yeah Arcsoft Media converter works and indeed it seems only the wmv option works to convert asf files. It appears to convert them to wm9 format yet if I use the wm9 encoder it doesn't work even with the same settings. Seems the Pilot is very picky as far as wmv files are concerned.
I am confused are you trying to convert wmv files? When I try to convert .wmv files with the Arcsoft Media converter to .wmv it takes forever over 1/2 hour, so I tried to convert to .avi, and it works only on the Pilot. I can not play it through the TV, it keeps jumping out of the video, in other words it is not watchable or useable. These are Overdrive videos and the reason I try to convert them is it doesn't play right as it originally is formatted. I wish it did. Funny it plays fine if you want to look at a tiny Pilot screen, I don't. I want to watch it on the TV.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo3 View Post
I am confused are you trying to convert wmv files? When I try to convert .wmv files with the Arcsoft Media converter to .wmv it takes forever over 1/2 hour, so I tried to convert to .avi, and it works only on the Pilot. I can not play it through the TV, it keeps jumping out of the video, in other words it is not watchable or useable. These are Overdrive videos and the reason I try to convert them is it doesn't play right as it originally is formatted. I wish it did. Funny it plays fine if you want to look at a tiny Pilot screen, I don't. I want to watch it on the TV.
No these are asf files from my camcorder although they are basically the same format.

I don't have an AV cable for my Pilot so can't comment on that and to be honest I probably won't be getting one for some time as it's not my primary reason for having it, but I do find it odd that you say it doesn't play on the TV yet it plays ok on the Pilot's own screen.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:05 PM

All of my aXXo movies have transferred perfectly. I use Gspot media analyzer to determine video parameters prior to encoding.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 AM

Have your tried to play the converted files that gave the "unsupported video" message? I see that from time to time, but the video files play on my Pilot.

I have had good luck converting WMV for the Pilot using SUPER. Converting to AVI container with XviD, using Mencoder. That is until I updated to the July, Build 32 version. Now I cannot convert MP4 or WMV. Haven't figured out yet where it is going wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvmp3 View Post
I understand the Pilot can play Windows Media video yet I have been unable to get it to do so. I have tried both Windows Media Encoder and Super and kept it to 320x240 yet I just get the unsupported video message. I have managed to convert videos using XVID on Super and they work fine apart from the odd glitch here and there.

So has anyone got Windows Media Videos (wmv) to work on their pilot and if so, what settings and software did you use

Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartsoc View Post
Have your tried to play the converted files that gave the "unsupported video" message? I see that from time to time, but the video files play on my Pilot.

I have had good luck converting WMV for the Pilot using SUPER. Converting to AVI container with XviD, using Mencoder. That is until I updated to the July, Build 32 version. Now I cannot convert MP4 or WMV. Haven't figured out yet where it is going wrong.
No you misunderstand me. As I said, I can covert to XviD using Super and that works fine. What I cannot do, is convert to wmv and play them even using the same parameters as Arcsoft wmv conversion. Yes they display 'unsupported video' and they do not play on the Pilot.

I was just wondering if anyone else has managed to use third party software to convert to the wmv format successfully. It seems XviD isn't a problem.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 PM

Well I finally got Windows Media encoder created video files to work with the Pilot. I was use mediainfo to examine the video files created by Arcsoft Media Convertor which comes with the Insignia and those created by Windows Media Encoder.

It seems that you need to change the Decoder Complexity from 'auto' to 'Simple'. Once I did this it worked. I haven't tried every combination but you can't encode at 640x480 for example as you get a message that says 'We don't support this file' but I did manage to encode at 128Kbps instead of 64Kbps so it seems it's more flexible on the audio.

I also tried encoding at 1024Kbps and this time it displayed 'SPEC OVER Can't open this file.'

There doesn't appear to be an option to change the decoder complexity in Super when using the wmv option. Perhaps this might be achieved by altering a file somewhere in the Super program directory.