android
Old 06-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Play order

Hi, I listen to audio books in mp3 format on my Zen V mp3 player, and I frequently encounter a problem in the playback order. The player plays the files in order based on the Title field, but many audio books either do not have data in this tag field, or the entry doesn't give a numerical prefix. There's often no distinctive track number either, merely a number in the file name itself. I've found several mp3 editors that allow me to manually re-enter data in the title field if I want to do the task file by file. This is pretty tedious, however, and I really need a way to instruct my Zen V to find the playing order from the file name. Have I overlooked the obvious, or is the solution to keep searching for an mp3 tag editor? If the latter, what is an easy one to handle the job? Thanks for any help! Gini

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

MP3Tag and MP3 Tag Tools are both really good bulk tag editors. You can use either of them to either strip all existing tags (which will be the only way to force the player to sort by filename), or to simply add in the track numbers. Even better, if the filenames already reflect the appropriate information, you can use either of these tools to automatically create tags from the filename information.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the fast reply! I confess I already have MP3Tag, but I've been unable to figure out how to do what I want to. I didn't realize I should begin by stripping all the existing tags, and that might be the easiest solution to my problem. I'll keep working at thisóbut I may be back begging for more help! I'll also check with the application's forum. Many thanks. Gini

Old 06-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Tagging FAQ here may help. Good luck and welcome to ABI Gini.

Zen FAQ