android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Angry agrivating problem - cant charge/transfer files

I bought a new Zen after being sent a faulty one off ebay .... and i got the new one working fine, charged it up, put all my music on it, worked great.

But yesterday, i started getting problems, i couldnt transfer any music or video, when i attmpted to, it got a certain % of the way, and would stall, and display an error.

Then i thought i should update my firmware as it was old, so i did so with the recovery tool, and it updated successfuly.

Still no luck, by this time, i couldnt charge the player (would display being docked, but the battery symbol wouldnt display charging) but my computer still recognised it, just couldnt do anything with it.

I decided id do a system restore, as it was working a couple of days ago. I did so...

now i cant get mediasource to recognise the player, and it wont go about charging. It recognises it in device manager, so i set about installing the latest driver, but i already have the latest driver.

It seems as though when i plug it in via usb... it stalls so it wont charge, and files cant be accessed or transfered.

I could really do with your help, because i now have 2 pretty useless vision m's, and ive spent a lot of money trying to get a working one. Suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
and display an error.
What error exactly?

Quote:
It recognises it in device manager
....but does it install the driver with no problem or error?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 AM

I cant remember the error... but i got it to work this morning, now it isnt again. When i updated the driver it seemed to do it succesfully, just said 'this driver is already installed'

Old 07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The error message would help a ton......

First boot into Recovery Mode and select the Cleanup option form the menu and see if thhat helps.

Second, does Device Manager show the driver loading properly (under Portable Devices)? The fact that you were able to reload your firmware without issue says that the driver is installing correctly. What version of WMP do you have installed. It sounds like a possible MTP issue. If you have WMP11 installed, try rolling it back to the previous version and see how it works then. If you have WMP10, try upgrading to WMP11. This will reinstall/reset the Windows Media Framework for MTP.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-05-2008, 02:51 PM

Well i did none of those things, and i found a solution to my problems...
1.plug mp3 in via USB - computer off.
2.Turn on computer, but dont log on, just stay on the user selection display
3.wait till the battery simbol displays its charging, then logon
4.It works

Something might not be right there still, but at least i can resolve my issues. Oh one thing, my battery doesnt seem to last anywhere near 14 hours, and i charged it for 8.... how long should i do the 'initial' charge for?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The reason why it takes a minute on the logon screen is because the computer’s services and drivers are loading. Once they have all started, the ZVM's driver should load and initiate full charging current. To be sure, still check Device manager (mentioned above) to verify the driver loading properly. The ZVM will still charge if the driver isn't installing correctly, however the USB bus will only charge it at a lower current (100mA) instead of the full 500mA. In order to get the full 500mA for charging the ZVM on a USB port, the driver will have to be installed without error. This is why I am asking you to check the status of the driver. If you go by just the ZVM charging and not check the driver to verify if full charging is taking place, the charge time will be dramatically longer compared to if the driver is installing correctly and charging at full current. Hope that makes sense.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-05-2008, 04:20 PM

The driver doesnt seem to install as its already there, as i said. the version is: 6.0.6000.16386

I cant roll back the driver... but im not sure what you mean by its 'status'. I dont know if its fully installed or not, there isnt a whole lot of information. Just says 'device is working properly'. What do i need to do?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The fact that you got the player to start charging by sitting at the Windows Login screen clearly shows that the player itself is fine, which is good news. However, it does point to some severe software conflict issues on your computer.

Your driver is fine, as evidenced by Device Manager and by the fact that you can do firmware updates.

Here is what I would do in your situation: First, completely uninstall all of Creative's software - specifically, MediaSource and Media Explorer (and all of their associated applications). Next, ensure your version of Windows is completely up to date according to the Windows Update site. Then, upgrade Windows Media Player from WMP10 to WMP11. Be sure you also install the user mode driver framework. Once all of this is done, plug in your player and see what happens.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Just says 'device is working properly'.
That is what I meant by the status.... of the driver. So that looks good. At this point. ZenChick beat me to the response, so follow her lead here.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-06-2008, 11:53 AM

Okay, ill reinstall the driver software, but WMP 11 was already installed on vista so ill be alright with that i think.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, you are asking for issues when the Creative software is installed with Vista. Uninstall all of the Creative software first. Then verify in Device Manager again that the driver is still installing correctly. Then open up My Computer and make sure that the ZVM shows as a Portable Device. If it does, test dragging and dropping some files to it. You can also open up WMP to see if it is detected there for syncing if you like as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 AM

reinstalled software but does the same thing. Bacicly the only way for it to work is to turn it on from the log-on screen, and carry on as normal. Its just innoying that i cant transfer/charge straight away. So bacicly it works wen the charge light is flashing, otherwise its stalled and you cant access it. Not really sure how ill fix that, should i wait for later drivers for vista?

Oh, actully i forgot about the fact that it doesnt really seem to charge properly, i can get it to display the fully charged icon, however i dont think its lasting the 14 hours it says its supposed to. Its not really taking longer to charge, its just running out quickly, does the player only think its full, even though its not?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 07-07-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
reinstalled software but does the same thing.
Reinstalled what software? There is no additional "driver" software needed with Vista. It would be best to keep the Creative software uninstalled with Vista.

Quote:
So bacicly it works wen the charge light is flashing, otherwise its stalled and you cant access it.
Does it automatically turn on when you connect it to the USB port?

Quote:
Not really sure how ill fix that, should i wait for later drivers for vista?
With MTP devices, there are no manufacture drivers created or used. An MTP driver, provded by the MTP compliant OS, is used for all MTP devices.

Quote:
i can get it to display the fully charged icon, however i dont think its lasting the 14 hours it says its supposed to. Its not really taking longer to charge, its just running out quickly
Make sure you have settings like the backlight timer, screen turned off when not needed, brightness, and no alarm set to maximize battery runtime. However, due to aging, there is a chance the battery may not be able to hold as much charge and you may soon need a new battery.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 05:27 PM

It does automaticly turn on as normal, but doesnt start charging. It does seem to stall, as wen you unplug it, it doesnt respond, so you have to restart the player. But obviously that doesnt happen wen you do it the way i stated earlier.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That is sounding a bit like a firmware issue. Perhaps the filesystem is dirty and is causing systemic problems. Try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Disk Cleanup. If that doesn't fix it, then you may need to reload the firmware once more.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 AM

How do i boot in recovery mode?

actully, i know now dw

did the clean up, and it was succuesful.... however, now, the player goes into 'rebuilding' and gets 5% of the way, and stalls. No matter howmany times i reset it it wont get past that point... after a while it displays 'firmware problem'... howver because of tht i cant reload the firmware?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 07-09-2008 at 07:46 AM.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Stuck on rebuild, firmware won't load..... could be a corrupt filesystem in need of a Format (or worse, a hard drive failing or too many bad sectors). The firmware is installed on the hard drive, so if there are filesystem or hard drive issues, it could affect the firmware easily. Looks like the next step is to boot into Recovery Mode and select Format. Keep in mind, this will erase all files on your ZVM.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 AM

guess its the only option at the moment...

Old 07-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, before doing so, do you have the ability try another computer to give reloaing the firmware another try? Just to rule out the computer as being the problem with the reload.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 AM

I tried with an XP machine and i got the same issue