android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Vision:M

Old 07-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How are you trying to reload the firmware; just executing the downloaded firmware file or using the Recovery Tool? You may want to consider booting back into Recovery Mode and selecting Reload Firmware first before Formatting. This will remove the currently installed firmware (in case it is corrupt) and allow you to connect to the computer (since you seem to have a good connection) and re-install the firmware. This may be what is needed for your firmware to successfully load. Maybe the currently installed firmware is causing the reload of the firmware from properly installing.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 07-09-2008 at 02:15 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 AM

I formatted it, and attempted to ugrade firmware.... but it fails

Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 AM

Ah!! I did the upgrade again, and despite it saying its failed, i can now turn the player on, it starts normally, and it charges properly now. Ill try put music on and report back to you. (by the way im on my XP machine at the moment so cross fingers it works on my vista one)

Old 07-09-2008, 02:55 PM

OKay it seems to work fine now on both machines. Cheers for the help guys!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
OKay it seems to work fine now on both machines.
That's great to hear benesotor! Nice job. If it continues to have issues, maybe try reloading again or going about it from Recovery Mode like I mentioned in post 21.

Quote:
Cheers for the help guys!
No problem!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good job getting it working again!

The failure message you got is a bit worrisome, but if everything is working again, then the message might have just been a weird glitch. Still, if your problems resurface again, then it might be a good idea to start looking for a replacement hard drive.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
then the message might have just been a weird glitch.
Yeah, that is what I am thinking too. Maybe some last small return program code that didn't quite communicate properly or in a timely fashion tand signaled the error message, but won't really hurt anything since the majority of the firmware was installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-11-2008, 03:06 PM

Yep, im having problems again. I think that as previously predicted, there was an error with my harddisk.... well now its gotten quite bad, as i cant turn it on anymore. As it begins to power up on the 'zen' screen, you can just hear the hardrive skip, and you dont get anyware. I can get into recovery mode, but none of the tasks seem to respond, but after a while of leaving to see if the task works (clean up) it displays 'hardisk error'. Do i need a new hardrisk, or is there some kind of way to bring it back to life...

What i forgot to say was that before the problems ouccoured, sometimes the player would stall, and it would need a wack to get going. I've swapped the hardrive with another hardrive, and the problem still occours, could there be a connection problem?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 07-12-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:55 PM

The hardrive isnt the problem.... something is up with the player, these problems occour with both hardrives, and with no hardrive...

Old 07-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hearing the hard drive "skip"and getting actual hard drive errors does concern me either way.....

Quote:
could there be a connection problem?
Maybe..... do they both use the same hard drive connector/cable type? Maybe try swapping them to see if that helps.

Quote:
The hardrive isnt the problem.... something is up with the player, these problems occour with both hardrives, and with no hardrive...
In either ZVM?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Both the hardrive's didnt work in either Zen when swapped around, i tested batteries as well. However, saying that, the company agreed to return it with a new one free of charge, so iv sent it away for a new one. Lets hope i get better luck with this ZVM... despite the unreliablilty so far, im still faithful to tht player and creative, and wont give in to Ipod's advertisment and good looks :P

Old 07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you get a chance to swap drive cables?

Well, at least you are getting another chance at anothe ZVM. I wouldn't give up either. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Did you get a chance to swap drive cables?

Well, at least you are getting another chance at anothe ZVM. I wouldn't give up either. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
I didnt manage to swap the drive cables as one hardrive was hitachi and the other toshiba so they didnt have the same adapters.

However, my new ZEN did arrive, opended it happily thinking 'well lightning cant strike THRISE'..... but i was proved wrong. This one doesnt charge at all, no charging light flashing or LCD coming on, even after 7 hours of charge. I checked to see if it was a dodgy battery, so i checked with the other players battery, still didnt work. So something player related...

Old 07-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I didnt manage to swap the drive cables as one hardrive was hitachi and the other toshiba so they didnt have the same adapters.
Ok, that's too bad.

Quote:
However, my new ZEN did arrive, opended it happily thinking 'well lightning cant strike THRISE'..... but i was proved wrong. This one doesnt charge at all, no charging light flashing or LCD coming on, even after 7 hours of charge. I checked to see if it was a dodgy battery, so i checked with the other players battery, still didnt work. So something player related...
Wow, what luck huh? Has Creative asked you to send it back?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 AM

Yeah the shop i bought if off said send this one back too. Innoying though eh, especially as i need it for a my holiday this friday! Funny thing is i was considering getting a refund, and asked a friend about the new Ipod classic, thinking that might be more reliable, and that one just a little while of being bought new had a hardrive faliure too!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah sending it back was good. You shouldn't of had to deal with that. I wish you luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yeah sending it back was good. You shouldn't of had to deal with that. I wish you luck!
My 4th(!) Zen has arrived, is working so far :P. Lets hope its 4th time lucky.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
My 4th(!) Zen has arrived, is working so far :P. Lets hope its 4th time lucky.
I have my fingers crossed for you! Sounds like you may have a winner though...... FINALLY!

Zen FAQ

Old 08-15-2008, 11:16 AM

YAY! After a long battle, and a complaint about a ridiculous refund amount, i got my full 80 back for the broken Zen Perseverance pays off :P

Old 08-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow. Good job. A refund and a working ZVM. It took a while, but was well worth it I bet.

Zen FAQ