android
Old 07-06-2008, 05:09 PM

Default Renaming and changing folders and files

In Window Explorer, I can see the directories and files in the Music folder of my Sansa Fuze. My question is:
Can I rename, move directories or files without creating playback problem?

For example I have songs from two CDs of Pink Martini: Sympathique and Hang on little tomato. The problem is that the files/directory names are screwed up. In the music directory, I see:
1) One folder "New Artist" with a subdirectory "Hang on little tomato" with songs from that album
2) One folder "Pink Martini" with a subdirectory "Hang on little tomato" with songs from the Sympathique album.

What I want is one folder with "Pink Martini" with two sub folders "Hang on little tomato" and "Sympatique", OR just all the songs from the two albums in the "Pink Martini" folder.

Is that possible?

Last edited by dantor; 07-07-2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake in title

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can organize the music folder however you like, it's irrelevant to how the player organizes the files in its database, it organizes based on ID3 tags.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 AM

Thank you, HHS. The way the files are organized in the database is a bit weird. I was able to rename one file but could not move or rename folders. Anyway all the songs appears together under the same album when I play them, and that's what counts.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantor View Post
Thank you, HHS. The way the files are organized in the database is a bit weird. I was able to rename one file but could not move or rename folders. Anyway all the songs appears together under the same album when I play them, and that's what counts.
As HipHopScribe stated, the fuze organizes based on ID3 tags. If you don’t know what ID3tags are, read - here I know this might sound complicated at first, but believe me once you get the software, read through it and test a few songs you’ll find it very easy.

The software is free, Mp3tag and can be downloaded here. This program has very good help files and is easy to use and learn by reading the help files. You need to remove all ID3v1 tags, use only ID3v2 and you can control each field’s name, date, etc……..This program will handle all your files at the same time, which makes it nice. But start out with a few and load them to your player so you can see how they appear.

BTW, Slaughter wrote a simple "How To" here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Thank you, Ramon

Thank you, Ramon, for the info. I know nothing about tags. The links you gave me will help me to understand and use them.

On my old iRiver MP3 player, I did not use playlist. Whatever I downloaded on the iRiver was exactly what I saw in the data base and what I used to choose my listening tunes.

Walk Good, now!

Daniel