android
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 AM

Default Faulty Player?

I just bought a used Vision:M 30gb off a friend last night.

The guy said it hadnt been charged in a while! I plugged it into the USB port and saw that the blue light was blinking (is this good?) then after maybe n hour or so the creative logo came up and a battery life symbol came up after that (with only a little bit of red on it). It stayed like that for around maybe 45 mins.. then the player shut off (I didnt notice the battery level going up any at all) And the player has since turned to a steady blue light and not turning on.

Just wondering what problem I may have? I also didnt get a software disc with my 30gb Vision:M so is there anywhere i can download the drivers etc? Im on XP service pack 2.

Cheers folks!

JonM

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome Jon.M. Congrats on the ZVM 30GB purchase.

Quote:
The guy said it hadnt been charged in a while! I plugged it into the USB port and saw that the blue light was blinking (is this good?) then after maybe n hour or so the creative logo came up and a battery life symbol came up after that (with only a little bit of red on it). It stayed like that for around maybe 45 mins.. then the player shut off (I didnt notice the battery level going up any at all) And the player has since turned to a steady blue light and not turning on.

Just wondering what problem I may have?
The blinking light indicates it is charging. The fact that it came on is a good sign. Disconnect it. Plug it back in and leave it connected and charging overnight. It can take a long time to charge a depleted battery on a USB port when the device is not powered on; sometimes an entire day.

Quote:
I also didnt get a software disc with my 30gb Vision:M so is there anywhere i can download the drivers etc? Im on XP service pack 2.
What version of Windows Media Player do you have installed? If you have WMP10 or WMP11, you will not need any additional software in order to use your ZVM. The Zen is an MTP device. So, using an MTP compatible Operating System (like WinXP with WMP10 or WMP11 installed), the ZVM will be recognized and accessible with no additional software needed.<o></o>

You may want to check out the ZVM FAQ's here.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Thanks Bobby.

As said the blue light is not blinking anymore, it is solid blue and stays on even hwne i unplug it from the usb port.. Would this be a cause for concern?

I found the install disc on file front (thanks zen girl for posting that)

The reason why i ask about software/drivers is that when i plug it in it says that it malfunctioned.. Maybe another cause for concern? I bought the player very cheap which is also a cause for concern lol

Cheers
JonM

Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Use a paper clip in the small Reset hole on the bottom to reset the ZVM. Then reconnect it to the USB port. Don't worry about the connectivity issue yet until you get the power issue resolved. Get the ZVM charged up and we can go from there.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 AM

Solid blue light comes back on when i take it out of the reset hole.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I thought you said it was already on (even before restting)? When does it go off?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 10:15 AM

I said above that the played turned on then back off and will not switch back on.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
it is solid blue and stays on even hwne i unplug it from the usb port..
Quote:
Solid blue light comes back on when i take it out of the reset hole.
I'm referring to the light, not the ZVM as being powered on. When does it go off for it to come back on again after using the Reset?

The power (blue) light can be on when either the player is on, on and charging, or if it is off and charging/detecting power.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 10:25 AM

When the reset button is being pressed the blue light goes off, but as soon as i release the reset button it comes right back on (the blue light)

Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
When the reset button is being pressed the blue light goes off, but as soon as i release the reset button it comes right back on (the blue light)
Do you still have it plugged into the USB port when you Reset it?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 AM

No.. Its not possible to reset it and have it plugged into the usb port at the same time..

Old 07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have two suggestions:

1. Plug it into the USB port on the computer and let it charge all day and night to see if it either turns on or begins flashing/charging again.

2. Open the ZVM up and reseat the battery connector and then plug back into the USB port to see if it begins charging again or even turns on when connected. At this point, if it does turn on and show low battery or just begins flashing, do the same as number 1 above for charging.

Here is the ABI disassembly guide. (Take a look at step 3)
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is a YouTube video of the battery being replaced.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Ok i reconnected the battery and the screen came on and has now frozen at the part where it says zen.. I have plugged it into the usb and its still solid blue... and nothin popped up when i plugged it in

Old 07-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

See if you can get it to boot into Recovery Mode. If you hit the reset again, connect to the computer, does it come on and freeze again?

The ZVM won't be properly detected by the computer/OS until it can completely power on and boot up correctly (normally or in Recovery Mode).

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 01:02 PM

It didnt go into recovery mode but it is blinking again and wont switch on

Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, that's ok. Don't worry about it. Just leave it plugged in for a long while to see if it becomes fully charged and is able to saty powered on correctly. Until the power issue is addressed, it is hard to determine if there are other problems.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 01:09 PM

Back to solid blue light again

Old 07-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, just leave it pluggd in still....

Zen FAQ

Old 07-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Ok its still plugged in now

Has been plugged in for a very long time

Old 07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've seen it take around 24 hours before with a depleted battery charging off of a USB port in a device that won't power on.

Zen FAQ