android
Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 PM

Angry Putting video files on Walkman NWZ-A728

I've tried to convert a few movies from .avi to .mp4 and the sound is always out of sync regardless of the conversion program I use or whether I match up the audio/video bitrates or not.

Has anyone found a foolproof way to do the .mp4 conversion?

I'm about to give up even trying.

I'm not confident anyone here will have a good answer either from what I've been reading on other forums. Also, does anyone know of any good video podcast sites where I can download and drop onto my walkman?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 AM

Hi
I use winavi video converter, and its never failed me yet, perfect synch.

http://www.winavi.com/en/psp-3gp-mp4...-converter.htm

Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've been informed that Jet Audio (free version) only converts 30secs of video. I'm linking to yuki's free program (PSP Video 9) that has proven to work w/the sony players (will work w/the Zune, and God forbid, ipod also). My apoligies to all.
Link: http://www.pspvideo9.com/

Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 AM

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=30620

Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimframsauce View Post
Sorry, I understand I am new to these forums, but I have no idea what you have posted here..

Is there any way of putting the video files into the Walkman without Windows Media Player 11? I continue to get errors when I try to put the .mp4 files by either dragging or dropping or using WMP 10.

Any help will be appreciated..

Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 AM

If you have WMP11 installed you should be able to drag and drop .mp4 files via explorer. You can't drag and drop via windows explorer with WMP10 though

Back on topic though, the program i use is called Ripbot264 with a modified ipod profile. It's not really that easy to use but it is very powerful.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:22 PM

I got my movies to convert flawlessly with the jetAudio Plus software.

FYI: The Basic version only converts 30 seconds. You need the Plus (Full) version to convert an entire video.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc589 View Post
I got my movies to convert flawlessly with the jetAudio Plus software.

FYI: The Basic version only converts 30 seconds. You need the Plus (Full) version to convert an entire video.
Thanks - it's really simple to use - but I was hoping to have you use a free prog that's simple to use, like the PSP Video 9 app. Most other apps require too much to get the same effect as these simpler progs do, including Jet Audio (easy to use).

Here is the Faq for the S61X/A81X series - the things that yuki has answered hold true for the A72X/A82X series also, just different measurements and capacities - including the video conversion app he's linked to.

Link: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22120

Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklesNilan View Post
Sorry, I understand I am new to these forums, but I have no idea what you have posted here..

Is there any way of putting the video files into the Walkman without Windows Media Player 11? I continue to get errors when I try to put the .mp4 files by either dragging or dropping or using WMP 10.

Any help will be appreciated..
its a link to a thread where i gave tips on h264 video encoding for the walkman. the apps listed media coder and handbrake do both h264 and mpeg4 video for the walkman.

if you use those two programs with mpeg4 its quite easy, for h264 you need to change some settings because the walkman is pretty strict with the format. h264 has better compression at the cost of a bit of battery life. its your choice which format you encode in. play around and see which works better for you. encode speed are similar, both apps are multithreaded to take advantage for multicore cpus. and best of all both programs are free. encode using these programs and drag and drop into the video folder in explorer. works fine. just learn how to set these two programs up the first time and after that its quite simple. media coder also has cpu specific optimized executable if you want.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
its a link to a thread where i gave tips on h264 video encoding for the walkman. the apps listed media coder and handbrake do both h264 and mpeg4 video for the walkman.

if you use those two programs with mpeg4 its quite easy, for h264 you need to change some settings because the walkman is pretty strict with the format. h264 has better compression at the cost of a bit of battery life. its your choice which format you encode in. play around and see which works better for you. encode speed are similar, both apps are multithreaded to take advantage for multicore cpus. and best of all both programs are free. encode using these programs and drag and drop into the video folder in explorer. works fine. just learn how to set these two programs up the first time and after that its quite simple. media coder also has cpu specific optimized executable if you want.
Thanks.. I guess I will give it a try... I wasted about 2 hours last night, downloading various avi-to-mpeg4 creators or ipod converters mentioned on this forum and struck out with all of them, still getting the same error when I drag and drop.

I am fairly good with the Sony Vegas (7.0) program and took a good hard look at the sample video that came with the Walkman. I made note of the settings for that video to a tee... practically copying everything needed.. but no luck... in fact, no matter what settings I used to render the mpeg4 vid, the Walkman still won't accept the video.

Sony really should have made this a little easier to import vids.. I've got this nice little screen that plays and has a nice display for videos, but cannot do anything about adding my own at this point.. but I guess I will keep trying until I figure this out..., very frustrating.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Might be a prob w/the player or your comm. Try on another comm and see what happens. All the progs that have been recommended to you WORK!!! It really doesn't sound like a problem w/the software any longer.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
Might be a prob w/the player or your comm. Try on another comm and see what happens. All the progs that have been recommended to you WORK!!! It really doesn't sound like a problem w/the software any longer.
Not sure what you mean by "comm", but don't think its the player..

I copied the sample video that came with the player on my desktop and deleted the one on the player...dragged and dropped right back into the player with no problems, so I would think that the unit is ok.

Not sure what to do at this point... really want to put some vids on this thing though, so I guess I'll keep trying.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklesNilan View Post
Thanks.. I guess I will give it a try... I wasted about 2 hours last night, downloading various avi-to-mpeg4 creators or ipod converters mentioned on this forum and struck out with all of them, still getting the same error when I drag and drop.

I am fairly good with the Sony Vegas (7.0) program and took a good hard look at the sample video that came with the Walkman. I made note of the settings for that video to a tee... practically copying everything needed.. but no luck... in fact, no matter what settings I used to render the mpeg4 vid, the Walkman still won't accept the video.

Sony really should have made this a little easier to import vids.. I've got this nice little screen that plays and has a nice display for videos, but cannot do anything about adding my own at this point.. but I guess I will keep trying until I figure this out..., very frustrating.
i suggest those two because i've tried most of them out there
the two suggested work pretty well once setup. what matters with an encoder is that you can drag and drop avi and such for batch conversion and that it doesn't take a long time to setup. both pretty much pass this test. cept for handbrake with h264 you gotta copy paste that bit of settings into the advanced panel everytime you open the program because it doesn't save it. a small gripe.

i'm not sure why you are having issues with mpeg4, that goes smoothly with most software. its h264 that its picky about. mpeg4 at 320x240 at a reasonable bitrate below 7xx works. you only need 300-384 really..or even less. and lc_aac audio at whatever bitrate you want. i've never had an issue with mpeg4 from the start, only h264 got rejected for playback. no advanced settings fiddling required for either handbrake or media coder if mpeg4 is what you use

in handbrake you are using the low res ipod preset and starting from there right? hard to go wrong after that. it outputs m4v files when in h264 and that works fine. mp4 for mpeg4 i believe, its been a while since i encoded an mpeg4

even some pay software like ***** or ******** worked, but those had the problem of not being able to do h264 that worked with the walkman, plus they weren't free.

Last edited by frimframsauce; 07-12-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:46 PM

wtf it blanked out xili ...soft?

Old 07-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
wtf it blanked out xili ...soft?
It's commercial software - you gotta' pay for it - hence an ADVERTISEMENT! That's why it's blanked out.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:56 AM

oh, heh i'm not advertising, its lousy for the price, it lacks polish and can't do h264. pay software should be better than freeware, thats just a given. in this case it isn't.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

True, true. I have Xili---- and I removed it from my comp - sucked!!!

Old 08-19-2008, 07:36 PM

Download Winavi MP4 converter, i got it from mininova. With se-rial included hehehe

Old 08-22-2008, 06:00 PM

I use iTunes and iMovie to create MP4 movies for use on my A815.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babya View Post
I use iTunes and iMovie to create MP4 movies for use on my A815.
Same codec for both @320X240. I've used iTunes myself. I have an iPod Mini and son's got a classic - necessary evil I'm afraid.