android
Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 AM

Default Beloved ZVM dies... What now, ZVM lovers?

I got the 60gb Creative Zen Vision:M almost 2 years ago and LOVED it.

But sadly, I destroyed it by my own stupidity (dropped it down 3 flights of stairs at the gym... hard-drive destroyed, it was a sorry sight of junk).

So I have to get a new media player.

I've looked through lots of reviews on this site and others, talked to people, etc, but I'm not sure how to replace my true love! The ZVM is discontinued, and 60gb+ HDD players don't seem to be popular anymore unfortunately. So I wanted to specifically ask you ZVM lovers out there what you'd recommend.

I'm a pretty basic user, not a hard-core audiophile or tech guy. What I loved about the ZVM:

- 60gb of storage (I have around 30gb of music I keep on it permanently, plus 10-30gb of videos at any given time)
- playlists on the go
- decent enough video playback (watch it while on planes and trains)
- easy to manage files, and not locked into proprietary software (I use MediaMonkey, and sometimes just good-ol' Windows Explorer to manage)

I'd probably just go and get another 60gb ZVM if it weren't discontinued.

What do you Creative fans recommend for me?
- Try to somehow get another ZVM despite its being discontinued? How much does it/will it affect me that it's now discontinued? No support from Creative is the first problem, but what other problems might I have: buying it, getting the charger and dongle, software problems...? I really don't know what to expect...

- Try the 32gb flash ZEN? Not as much memory as I'd like, but flash is nice... and maybe I can use memory cards to make up the storage difference somehow?

- Get another non-Creative product? It's been a few years since the ZVM was introduced, and I'd hoped for better products since, but hard-drive players with 60gb+ don't seem to be popular any more. Anything you'd recommend?

I searched for this type of question in the forums, but didn't find anything. Apologies if this type of question has been asked before.

Thanks for any advice you can give this despondent Creative fan!

Sean

Last edited by seanr; 07-09-2008 at 05:22 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2008, 06:09 AM

Default Suggestions

Provided your player is not totally destroyed, it may be possible to repair the player with new or spare parts.

If the hard drive is the main problem, this is what I would do.

[1] Open the player up.

Essential tools required include jewellers type mini screwdrivers, and thick paperclip.

Pry top (power switch) cover off using gentle lever action under slot with switch pulled back to the lock position. Pull bottom (dongle) cover off by using a bent tip from a thick wire paper clip inserted into reset hole.

Remove screws under the top (power switch ) and botton (dongle) covers.

Pry apart casing at top end with blade screwdriver (like an oyster). etc etc

[2] Check if hard drive connector is dislodged. If so put back and test.

[3] If hard drive making springing or clicking sounds then carefully attempt "caveman method" on hard drive. If salvaged, reformat hard drive and reload data.

[4] If hard drive is truly stuffed, consider buying another compatible hard drive. The 60GB fat ZVM is probably equipped with a "GAH" Toshiba hard drive with pins type connector. These hard drives are easy to replace. Otherwise get whatever other "GAL" or "GAH" hard drive capacity suits your budget.

[5] Dont get rid of your old ZVM. They are definitely saveable.

Thanks.

Last edited by ziny; 07-09-2008 at 06:15 AM.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I also suggest the repair option. It depends on how badly damaged your player is, if it's still structurally sound, and so on. You could get one or more used, "dead" ZVMs off of eBay and mix-and-match parts to build a good, working one.

Otherwise, at the moment, I'm afraid there's nothing recommendable on the Creative scene that can adequately replace a ZVM. The Zen isn't bad, but seems to have had more than its share of issues. However, the newest Zen on the block - the Zen X-Fi - is due out sometime this summer, and should be worth watching for.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:20 PM

yeah i would try and fix it.
here is a helpful link for taking it apart
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...n-vision-m.php

Old 07-10-2008, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, my ZVM was destroyed beyond repair. We tried to do what we could, but the little guy was completely broken.

So...

- Looked some more at the 32gb flash Zen. Don't want to start a ZVM vs. Zen comparison, but for my purposes at least, it doesn't seem so great. The flash is nice, but 32gb is limiting after years of 60gb, the memory card expansion seems to be more promise than reality because of the poor implementation, and the video coding is a real pain.

- I don't know if I can stomach a Zune or an Ipod hard-disk player. Being locked into their media-app programs is a nightmare after the freedom of Zen's plug-n-play style.

- ZenChick, any idea of what this new product is, features, etc.. and when it might come out? I want to see if it's worth waiting with no media-player for a few months to get this new product.

- Barring all that... anyone have (or know of) a good-condition, almost-new ZVM (with dongle and charger) for sale?

Thanks!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
any idea of what this new product is, features, etc.. and when it might come out? I want to see if it's worth waiting with no media-player for a few months to get this new product.
Zen X-Fi
ABI Thread

Quote:
anyone have (or know of) a good-condition, almost-new ZVM (with dongle and charger) for sale?
Google
EBay

Zen FAQ

Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What he said.