android
Old 01-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp.3.guy View Post
Question:
how do I delete playlists without deleting the acutal tracks?
I usually do so from the computer. I browse to Zen -> Playlists and delete using Windows Explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laaapsta View Post
quick question: is zen able to play playlists in memory card mode?
In Removable Disk Mode, you won't have access to the Internal storage on the Zen, only the SD card inserted.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
In Removable Disk Mode, you won't have access to the Internal storage on the Zen, only the SD card inserted.
yes, i know that, but can i make playlists on memory card with the songs on the memory card, and then play them on zen? i ask because i know, that zen has disabled many options in removable disk mode, and i just wonder has it disabled playlists too.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laaapsta View Post
yes, i know that, but can i make playlists on memory card with the songs on the memory card, and then play them on zen? i ask because i know, that zen has disabled many options in removable disk mode, and i just wonder has it disabled playlists too.
No, Playlists have to be created during the sync process so that the proper pointers can be created for the internal database. The SD card has no access to or doesn't uses any internal feature of the Zen. Playlists are created and reside in the My Playlists section. During playback on any music that resides on the SD card, there is no option to even create or add to an exiting Playlist.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Default Creating Playlist Help

I've only just transferred all my mp3's to my new Zen and haven't really played much with it other than figuring out menus.
Anyway this is my 6th mp3 player and I've never figured out or been able to create a playalist. My last 2 mp3 players were Sansa 4GB and 8GB and I just let them play random but would like to choose genre i.e. be able to choose all my rock or classical , country etc.
My? is how do I make a playlist/folder then transfer it to the Zen and then select it on the player.
I've tried with the software but have not been able to figure it out.
I'm usually pretty good figuring out digital (cameras, gps ets) stuff/software but can't seem to get the synapse to fire on playlists.
Step by step instructions would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome Steve. This thread is the main Playlist thread and should help you with your exact issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Sounds like playlists are a major PIA.
I think I'll just use my 4GB Sansa for Classical/New age mellow motorcycle music and my Zen for my usual rock music.
I really haven't read a clear explanation on making/transfering playlists.

Steve

Old 01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Playlists are actually one of the stronger aspects of Zen's. There are multiple explanations (even step-by-step directions) in this thread on how to make/transfer playlists.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-19-2009, 06:52 PM

Default Using Creative Centrale for playlists

I decided to give it a real try. I figured I'm a registered technologist operating $4,000,000 CT and Linear Accelerators to treat cancer patients, surely I can do this!!
I don't know why it didn't occur to me at first but Creative Centrale works like Windows Explorer.
Here's my attempt to help the next knuckle head:
1. Open Creative Centrale
2. Select "New"
3.Then "New Playlist"
It will then appear on the left side under "playlist"
Under "folders" then "music" select the songs you want either by holding down the ctrl key while selecting songs or if they are in consecutive order then select the first song while holding the shift key select the last song.
4. Then with the selections highlighted right click and choose "Add to playlist".
5. Finally, just highlight/select the playlist and choose "transfer" while your Zen is connected.

I hope this is not too obvious but it wasn't for me the first try.
I'm really liking this Zen now!

Steve

Last edited by daddysbike; 01-19-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ahhh that's better Steve! Nice post. I'm sure someone will find it useful.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-19-2009, 07:40 PM

Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Heh, funny. Nice pic.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 AM

I seem to have a different playlist problem.

BobbyRS suggested that I rebuild my WMP database because I was getting random duplicate files when I sync'ed my Zen. I had to reformat the Zen each time. I did the rebuild and indeed my duplicate file problem was replaced by a new one.

If I add tracks to my WMP library and open the auto playlists (so that they update) and try to resync the Zen, my playlists go... well, wonky. The playlist on the Zen does get replaced/rebuilt, but with only a partial set of tracks. Sometimes instead of 2000+ songs in a playlist, there'll be 300, or just the tracks I added will be in the playlist. The solution, again, is reformatting the Zen, which takes several hours.

I have confirmed the playlists are correct on WMP. And after I reformat the Zen they come over fine.
I have tried breaking the link to the player in WMP and rebuilding it before sync'ing.
I have also tried deleting the auto playlist and recreating it before sync'ing.

Anyone have any other ideas? This is a huge pain.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like the Zen doesn't know how to handle the changes from the auto playlist feature of WMP. Are you using WMP11?

Zen FAQ

Old 01-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Yes, WMP 11.

Before rebuilding the WMP database I didn't have this problem. Given the choice, I'd rather have the old problem back!

Unless someone has a real solution, maybe next time I'll try deleting the playlists on the Zen itself manually before syncing. Annoying... but less annoying than reformatting.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Wow, that didn't work at all! WMP freaked out and then the Zen locked up. Note to self: don't delete playlists on the Zen and then try to resync them.

Reformatting again...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Yes, WMP 11.

Before rebuilding the WMP database I didn't have this problem.
Oh, ok. So it did work at one point in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
Wow, that didn't work at all! WMP freaked out and then the Zen locked up. Note to self: don't delete playlists on the Zen and then try to resync them.
Hmmm. I delete playlists all the time and resync them without issue. I know you probably don't want to hear this, but have you considered doing a reset of WMP's database and a format on the Zen to start over with both at the same time? Perhaps not doing this left some residual information in the Zen's database and treated the newly created WMP database as a second one to interact with; causing the issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
but have you considered doing a reset of WMP's database and a format on the Zen to start over with both at the same time? Perhaps not doing this left some residual information in the Zen's database and treated the newly created WMP database as a second one to interact with; causing the issue.
I already did this when I rebuilt the WMP database -- I HAVE to reformat every time I sync. This was a hard format (with the built in utilities on the Zen) instead of a soft format (from the computer). When I do the soft format WMP recognizes the Zen; the hard format makes it believe it's an entirely new device.

I suppose I can do it again, but I don't think it will work any better the second time.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, a format from the computer will just erase the files. A format from the Zen (in Recovery Mode) will erase the files and reset the database. This is most likely what should have been done when you reset the WMP database; a full reset on both ends.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Yep, that's the way I did it. But, I'll try it again.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:13 PM

Well, I appear to have gotten my wish. My old problem with the files duplicating on the player is back.

Grrrr...