android
Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wow, what happened? Did you format from within Recovery Mode and reset WMP's database? It sounds like you may have some more serious issues with the software. Perhaps going through the Format motionsa agian, then wiping out the WMP database, and then reinstalling WMP11 may help.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2009, 02:09 PM

Yes, I've done the format/wipe WMP data thing about a 3 or 4 times now. If it's not the one error it's the other. The duplicated music is annoying but is by far less troublesome than the randomly messed up playlists.

I'm not sure I CAN reinstall WMP11, but I'll check around. I know for sure MS doesn't support it and denies that you can do it all with Vista, but I am sure there's a hack. No stand alone Vista DVD, just a silly recovery DVD, and I really don't want to go there if I can avoid it.

I wish I had another MP3 player I could test with it, preferably a Zen, but everyone I know has an iP*d. WMP otherwise behaves just fine; it either doesn't like talking to the Zen or the Zen is the problem. My gut tells me this isn't a WMP problem, and I don't have any 3rd party codecs installed into WMP either.

On the other hand, WMP and the Zen worked fine together for a couple of months.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
I'm not sure I CAN reinstall WMP11, but I'll check around. I know for sure MS doesn't support it and denies that you can do it all with Vista, but I am sure there's a hack. No stand alone Vista DVD, just a silly recovery DVD, and I really don't want to go there if I can avoid it.
I don't believe there is a way to reinstall WMP11 in Vista. The only options, I believe, are to either reinstall Vista or maybe a System Restore. However, I did take notice of this fix from Microsoft that may or may not help.

Quote:
I wish I had another MP3 player I could test with it, preferably a Zen, but everyone I know has an iP*d.
Have you tried your Zen on another computer. I would consider testing with another Vista computer and maybe even a WinXP computer.

Quote:
My gut tells me this isn't a WMP problem, and I don't have any 3rd party codecs installed into WMP either.

On the other hand, WMP and the Zen worked fine together for a couple of months.
Not so sure...... There are a couple of possible WMP reset .reg files you can try that may or may not help. However, I would only use them as a last measure for I have never tried them before. I'm not sure if they would screw up anything or not. The first one is the WMP11 Vista Reset here. The second one is another WMP11 Vista Reset, but only if Vista is installed on the C drive here. Both fixes are for the 32bit Vista version only. Again, use at your own risk. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer available I can test on. All of the hacks and workarounds I have seen seem very dicey at best.

I guess for the moment I will grin and bear it if the duplicate files error stays around; it's much easier to manage. Eventually, no doubt, something will make it necessary to do a system restore anyway, but that's like an entire weekend and every day after work for a week to do. Not something I like to do if I don't absolutely HAVE to.

But before I do a restore I could always give WMP12 beta a try.

Thanks for your assistance. Again.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
But before I do a restore I could always give WMP12 beta a try.
WMP12 actually may be a good alternative to try. Let me know if you give this a shot.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM

I'll probably wait for one more round of bug fixes before trying WMP12. I know they have supposedly fixed the problem where it was corrupting your MP3s, but sometimes bug fixes cause new bugs.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't blame you. However, I've heard good things about MTP devices working great with it.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Thread merged with main Playlist thread. You may want to have a read through it.

Did you originally transfer/sync your files to the Zen with a different sync manager before creating playlists and syncing them with Mediamonkey? The Zen doesn't like to play well when more than one sync manager is used.
sorry for the late reply. had been quite busy the past weeks. i only used Mediamonkey and nothing else. but i reformatted my pc several times even though I use Mediamonkey. also, i renamed some song titles and resync them again. could these have caused the duplication?

i also noticed that when i create 2 playlists in MM with the exact song in both playlists (only 1 song), when I synced both over to zen, the song will only show up in the last playlist being synced. the other playlist (earlier synced) will just show 'playlist is empty'.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:59 PM

my son has a Zen and leave it to him to mess things up. Somehow he was able to include a playlist within the listing of a playlist. When he synced the original playlist, it got to the included playlist and started syncing all those songs as well.

After it finished the embeded playlist, it finished the original playlist. The results were, needless to say, horrific

If I were the OP, I would go into recovery mode and do a format and a clean up and start from scratch. I have never had a problem with WMP11.

Oh, and check your playlist to make sure it's clean.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_darth View Post
but i reformatted my pc several times even though I use Mediamonkey. also, i renamed some song titles and resync them again. could these have caused the duplication?
Possibly.... reformatting the PC and doing new syncs again, most likely acted like a sync between a new device and a new sync manager, resulting in duplicate files.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-03-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Possibly.... reformatting the PC and doing new syncs again, most likely acted like a sync between a new device and a new sync manager, resulting in duplicate files.
thx. I've reformatted it.

but, the prob where syncing the same song in 2 different playlist results in it being added in one playlist and not the other still exists. Does this exist in all ZENs or only mine?

Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure.... It seems to work fine on mine, but I either use WMP or make the playlists on the Zen itself.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
i also noticed that when i create 2 playlists in MM with the exact song in both playlists (only 1 song), when I synced both over to zen, the song will only show up in the last playlist being synced. the other playlist (earlier synced) will just show 'playlist is empty'.
I just verified (using MediaMonkey 3.0.7.1191; Zen firmware 1.21.03) that the same song will show up (and play) in multiple playlists just fine. It must be something with your system and/or setup.

fg

Old 02-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for confirming fg.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-03-2009, 12:25 PM

RE duplicate files on Zen...

I had this problem when I was testing sync managers (Zen Media Explorer, WMP11, MediaMonkey). Each one would create it's own entry for each mp3 at the track level. Meaning there was an individual artist and album entry, but within the album itself, multiple instances of the same track appeared. There was no way to tell which track came from which sync manager on the Zen.

This problem disappeared after I deleted all the tracks (no format was necessary) and stuck with a single sync manager (Media Monkey 3.0.7.1191).

FYI, this is using Zen firmware 1.21.03.

fg

Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yup. As I always say, use one sync manager and stick with it. You are just asking for issues when using multiple ones together.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks for confirming fg.
Hey no problem. I picked up a lot of useful information here, even before I purchased the Zen, and I want to return the favor.

fg

Old 02-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredg View Post
I picked up a lot of useful information here, even before I purchased the Zen, and I want to return the favor.
Good to hear. I welcome any good help.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-12-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredg View Post
I just verified (using MediaMonkey 3.0.7.1191; Zen firmware 1.21.03) that the same song will show up (and play) in multiple playlists just fine. It must be something with your system and/or setup.

fg
how can i check what firmware i'm currently running? I'm using the latest version of MediaMonkey, so I doubt that is the problem.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
how can i check what firmware i'm currently running?
System -> Information

The Version listed is the firmware version installed.

Zen FAQ