android
Old 07-11-2008, 06:56 AM

Help zen is dead

My zen is one month old and its completely dead now.
It was working fine till yesterday and i liked it. Yesterday i tried copying some audio files and it gave an error and my zen freezed. I tried powering on again and it said "rebuilding". I reseted zen and formated it and it all seems fine. I upgraded its firmware from 20 to 21. i was able to listern to music and video.

Again when i tried copying some files it gave an error and it showed docked icon in zen. I tried disconnecting it from computer but my zen didnt recover. I disconnected and reseted zen, but after that its completely dead. No blue light near power button, it was fully charged yesterday. I tried resetting many times but in vain.
When i connect zen to computer it recognizes zen as "Human interface device" but still zen didnt power on.

Can anyone help me to resolve this problem.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-11-2008, 07:10 AM

Maybe the files you are trying to copy are corrupted. Have you tried copying different files to see if its an isolated incident or not?

Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 AM

First time when i updated those files i didnt get any error, when i formatted and loaded the files again i had this problem.

Still it doesnt get powered on, can u suggest me some tips to make it alive

Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 PM

Just wanted to say "wierd".. my 4gb Zen is also just slightly over a month old.. I liked it too... and it also died this morning (wonder if bad batch of Zens?)

No power at all. I have tried reset numerous times, etc.. nothing. I will let you know if I fix mine or send it in RMA.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
When i connect zen to computer it recognizes zen as "Human interface device" but still zen didnt power on.
So, it won't power on, but it still gets detected (incorrectly) when plugged into the computer? No blue power light at all? Can you get it to power on by trying to boot it into Recovery Mode?

1. With the Zen off, press and hold the "play/pause" button.

2. Continue to hold until you perform Steps 3 and 4. If you accidentally release the button, start the procedure again.

3. Gently push the end of a thin object (like a pin or straightened paperclip) into the Reset hole. You should be able to feel the release click of the button.

4. Slide the On/Off/Lock switch towards the power button and hold until the boot screen appears on the display.

The Recovery Mode screen should appear.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-17-2008, 02:38 PM

Angry

Hi BobbyRS,
Yeah I tried that.. I tried everything. No power whatsoever and no screen ever. Cannot get firmware or recovery programs to see a Zen at all. Called Creative this afternoon and got a RMA. Will let ya know how it goes.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it sounds like calling Creative would be best for you. Let us know...

Zen FAQ

Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 AM

Sent Zen in to Creative, it arrived 7-21 per Creative.

Bad news is.. Must be alot of dead Zens.. as it has yet to be tested. Leaving on long trip without the Zen I had planned on using because it broke on the morning of my Birthday a few days after it arrived.

Good news is.. they didn't just replace it.. wich would of sucked... as I didn't want a banged up refurbished Zen for my less than a week old one. I will eventually get it back. Also, I have high hopes, as my Creative Nomad 2 had broke years ago when new.. and it still works to this day... so hopefully my Zen comes back ready to work.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry to hear you won't have it for your trip, but like you said, hopefully it will be good to go for years when you get it back. At least now you can look forward to returning and getting it back. Have a safe trip!

Zen FAQ

Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM

UPDATE: 2 Weeks so far sitting in a bin awaiting someone from Creative to come along and care enough to pick it up and fix it (atleast that is what the status states). Still have hopes of having an MP3 player.. but honestly, at this point, I am starting to forget I ever bought one, what with the less than a week of it working and sending it in so long ago. Kinda wierd when you are out shopping, see an Mp3 player only then you realize, crap, I bought one of these not too long ago didn't I. I wonder if Creative lost it, if they'd give me a 4GB Zen X-Fi for it?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the update. That's too bad. Hopefully it will get looked at soon.

Quote:
I wonder if Creative lost it, if they'd give me a 4GB Zen X-Fi for it?
I doubt it since the Zen isn't discontinued and the X-Fi hasn't replaced the Zen yet.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-09-2008, 07:51 AM

Another update:

Monday is the official date according to the Creative Site that if I do not get my Zen back in the mail, I should contact them. Site still states, received but not tested.

So guess what.. Monday I get to call them and tell them one of their employeees stole my Zen or it got lost in the mountains of returned defective Zens. Yippee! Customer service is back baby!

Overall.. I will still buy Creative Products.. but, even though it pains me to say it, I would warn anyone against buying the Zen. I think the Zen itself is just not ready for prime time and has high failure rates from the posts I have seen. Then when you send it in.. it joins the millions of returns.. and your Mp3less for a VERY LONG TIME. Add that to my lossed Zen at the Creative plant.. and.. .well.. if made into a movie, would probably be called the Zen Saga and would be a trilology. A product bought for relaxation shouldn't be so darn frustrating.. IMHO.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I think the Zen itself is just not ready for prime time and has high failure rates from the posts I have seen.
I have 2 of the newer Zen's and they both have worked great since owning them; very stable. As with any device, you can get bad ones or some with bad parts. Keep in mind, when browsing forums like these, the majority of the posts are from people seeking help or information, so you will see a lot of people with problems more so then people taking the time to post their happiness or satisfaction with their devices.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-11-2008, 05:21 PM

Hey BobbyRS,
Good News.. Creative support found my player.. wait, I mean.. They sent out a replacement player. Either way.. they found me! I will have music back in my life soon and will stop crying hysterically when I walk past the mp3 players in the stores over what a dumb choice I had made.
Anyway.. yeah.. I understand nobody posts the "Love the product" posts (even though I did post a, I love my Nomad 2 post).. but I do believe they had a bad batch of players or memory, wich also explains why I am getting a replacement. It does suck that I paid like $40 extra for a brand new player, only to wind up with a used product.. but I won't cry about that until I unbox the replacement player and determine how useless all my protective gear I had bought for it may now be.
Overall.. I am just glad to be getting SOMETHING back. And if the replacement player IS a tougher, working, not gonna die 2 weeks later, unit.. I will be happy. But since this is the 2nd Creative player to die and be replaced within weeks of purchase for me.. when it comes to Creative.. I think next time, I will save some money, time and aggravation and just buy refurbished. I love Creative.. but it look like it's gonna haveta be tough love.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That is good news! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 PM

Final Update:
Got the replacement Zen last week.. it was indeed new looking and the serial number suggests it is new.. but it did have different wallpaper so I dunno. Took the Zen on a long trip over the week and it seemed to work flawless.. but I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this new Zen lasts.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Alright, good to hear bschuler. Thanks for the update!

Zen FAQ