android
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 AM

Default conversion tool for our walkmans

hi everybody...wich is the best software to convert a mp3 file to an aac-lc with the best sound quality for the weight of the file?? i have a s610 2gb and for the low memory that my walkman have i need to compress the files a little but i dont want to loose much quality... thanks and sorry for my bad english

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 AM

its best not to.
conversion=quality loss
despite claims of miracle compression, you need decent bitrate from aac for quality as well, do not believe marketing about very low bitrates. so at reasonable bitrates the difference in size is insignificant.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 AM

portux: i'm in the same boat as you: I also have a 2gb player. I almost always convert mp3's into 128kbps AAC to save space. There is no noticeable loss, or very small loss in quality if the original mp3 is high bitrate enough. If the mp3 is below 192kbps I usually just leave it in mp3. For most mp3 albums, I save about 10-20mb (this is not insignificant), a few hundred kb more if the songs had embedded album art (the conversion to AAC that I use strips out the album art, which is fine by me)

Last edited by dr. zoidberg; 07-15-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:56 PM

well i was using nero recode to convert the mp3 files to aac 86kpbs and most of the tracks sounds realy great but i want to hear the opinion of S610/A810 of what software do they use to convert their songs and wich format and bitrate they use.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:25 AM

well it doesn't matter at the point, its sacrificing quality for a small amount of space. i guess if you keep two copies of your music collection its fine, but i think its too much trouble. when i used a 615 i just made do with the space it had. apple probably handles it better with the autofill+smart playlist features that automate synchs/shuffling of content of smaller capacity players. just wait a little while and higher capacity players will become cheap and then you can enjoy more of your collection, but for now some sacrifice is to be expected, esp at 2gb.