android
Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM

Default Creative Vision Zen W USB Problem

I was scanning through the treads, and I didn't see any with the same exact problem as mine. My Zen Vision W is freaking out. I've had for like a year. But recently, when I plugged it into my computer to upload music. Nothing would happen. If the player was off, it would turn on and look normal with the battery symbol charging. When I went to creative Zen W Vision Explorer. It would say please connect device even though it was connected. I kept reconnecting it and I restarted my computer. The removable disk part of the Zen did work though.Today, I cleaned up, formatted, and reloaded firmware on the recovery mode screen. But when I rebooted the zen up, it said firmware problem. And went back to the recovery mode. Then I installed the MP3 player recovery tool thinking that it would fix the firmware problem. But after it installed the update. a screen said please connect device even though the device is connected. I'm very frustrated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Darthhaggens. Welcome. Are you using WinXP? What version of WMP is installed?

Keep in mind since you formatted, you lost any files you may have had on the ZVW. Also, since you chose the Reload Firmware option from within Recovery Mode, this erases the currently installed firmware. It doesn't actually reload the firmware. So, the ZVW will not have firmware until you install it. This is also why it boots directly into Recovery Mode because there is no longer a firmware/OS to boot up into.

To correct the issue, you need to address why the computer is not seeing the ZVW. First, uninstall all of the Creative software. Once it is all uninstalled, check Device Manager and verify if the driver is loading correctly without error when the ZVW is connected.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 PM

I have Window XP, and Windows Media Player 11. I tried to uninstall all of the Creative Software yesterday, but I might have missed some. Could you list all of the potential creative software on my computer bear in mind that I have only downloaded software from the cd that came with my Zen and the MP3 Recovery Program offered by Creative? I hope I didn't screw up my Zen by making it a 250 dollar paper weight.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nah, it seems like your issue is on the computer and not with the ZVW.

Just make sure there is no listing for any Creative software in the Add/Remove Programs. Once they are all uninstalled, it may even be a good idea to open up Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Program Files and delete the Creative folder if it is still there.

After you have all of the software uninstalled, connect the ZVW and check Device Manager to see if the Driver is loading correctly. The ZVW should be listed under the category Portable Devices. Make sure there is not an error listed over it.

After the Creative software has all been removed and you have verified you have a good connection with the driver loading correctly in Device Manager, try reinstalling the driver:

1. With the ZVW connected and Device Manager open, highlight the ZVW, and press the Delete key on your keyboard, which will uninstall the device driver.
2. Unplug the Zen.
3. Wait for a minute and reconnect the Zen and Windows will reinstall the necessary drivers.
4. If the driver installs correctly, then try to execute the downloaded firmware file or the Recovery Tool and see if it is detected.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks Bobby for the help. You were right it was my computer not the zen itself. I kind of wish I didn't format everything on my Zen, but live and learn I suppose. You guys do good work here, and if anything else comes up I'm happy to know you guys are here to help.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
You were right it was my computer not the zen itself.
Just for clarification, what did you end up doing to resolve the issue.

Quote:
You guys do good work here, and if anything else comes up I'm happy to know you guys are here to help.
It's no problem. You're quite welcome. Thanks for the kind words and don't be a stranger.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Um I uninstalled everything. Then I plug in my Zen, and I deleted its drivers. And then we reinstalled them. I had to plug in my zen several times before the computer recognized it though. Then I downloaded the exe. file for the new firmware off creative skipping the MP3 recovery tool. After I loaded the new firmware onto my Zen, it booted up just fine.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok. Thanks for updating the thread. Glad to hear you got it back.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-18-2008, 01:15 PM

What if the computer doesn't recognize my zen at all? When i plug it in it turns on, but it doesn't show up in device manager.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello nelsonboi611. Welcome. I would start by looking at trying different USB ports on the computer, try a different USB cable, and even trying different computers to see if the problem follows the ZVW or appears to be within the first computer.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-18-2008, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the welcome. Tried all the usb cords and ports i have. Doesn't work on the 2 other computers i have either. Sorry for the unconvience.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Does the ZVW turn on when you plug it in while powered off? Is there an audible alert from Windows after you plug it in? If you plug it in while on, does the screen change to docked? Does it boot and function correctly itself?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM

It turns on, but it doesn't charge or show that its docked. Windows doesn't respond at all and the player itself worked, but i deleted the firmware while i was trying to get it to work, so now it only boots into recovery mode. It worked fine before i got a new computer and tried to dock to it then it no longer worked on any computer. Thanks for the help

Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok, try this:

- Make sure you have downloaded the latest firmware from Creative's website (here).
- While in Recovery Mode, select the Reload Firmware option.
- When the ZVW prompts to connect to the computer, connect it to a known working USB port.
- Execute the downloaded firmware file to install the firmware back on the ZVW.
- Reboot the ZVW when completed.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-22-2008, 02:39 PM

I have no known working usb ports though Whenever i plug it, windows doesn't even respond like nothing happens in device manager or anything. I run vista if that helps.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How have you tested them? Have you tried plugging any other kind of device into them to see if they work? Try using another USB cable as well. If you know you have a good port (works with other devices) and a working USB cable (again, works with other devices), with the ZVM plugged into the computer, try wiggling the dongle around to see if the computer detects anything. Try looking at the dongle to see if there are any bent or misaligned pins.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-22-2008, 03:56 PM

The ports work with other devices like my printer and external hard drive, but when i plug my zen in, the zen would turn on, but it doesn't charge or show that it is docked. I tried several cables that worked with other devices and still nothing. I also tried uninstalling the universal serial bus controllers in device manager and restarting my comp to let it totally reloud with my zen plug in, but that didn't work either.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Boot the ZVM into Recovery Mode and do a Cleanup to ensure that the database is running the way it should. Then....

Quote:
with the ZVM plugged into the computer, try wiggling the dongle around to see if the computer detects anything. Try looking at the dongle to see if there are any bent or misaligned pins.
To access the Recovery Mode:

1. Disconnect the ZVW from the computer.
2. Turn of the ZVW.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Move and hold the power button to the power on position while re-inserting the battery.
5. Hold the Power button until the Recovery Mode menu appears.
6. Select Cleanup from the menu.

.....or boot normally for you since you don't have any firmware installed.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 09-22-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:07 PM

Didn't work. Thanks for the help Bobby

Old 09-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you have another computer you can try for testing? No problem. How does the pins all look on the dongle?

Zen FAQ