android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 07-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Ok, this product does in fact have both msn and yahoo messenger attached to it.

You go to "Online", then to "My Friends". From there, click the options button (aka the very top right hand button on your player), and select "IM Chat Gateways". You'll see both yahoo and msn messenger listed, and all you have to do from this point is fill in the information of whichever service you use.

The interface doesn't change when you do this; you just now have your msn/yahoo friends transfered to your X-Fi friend list.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Seems to be a slightly hidden feature, heh.

If anyone's still having trouble, here's a video guide someone made: http://www.techinhiding.com/2008/07/...-the-zen-x-fi/

Another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYeJNdwIHWY (from nothingbutcreative)

Pocketables.com and nothingbutcreative.blogspot.com have fixed their reviews to mention the MSN and YIM. ABI's review hasn't been updated yet, though.

You can also change the keyboard layout to "circular", but it looks harder to use.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 PM

Wink

Soo... there's a shortage of cases for the xfi everywhere. do you guys know if the zen cases fit the xfi... if so how loose/tight/functional(?) it makes it...

thanks

Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 AM

Guys, coolest thing. Saw this on the epizenter forums.

You can stream live TV on the Zen X-Fi and stream other things with more functions by using a program called TVersity.

http://www.techinhiding.com/mp3-play...-via-tversity/ is the tutorial.

Quote:
The Zen X-Fi's wireless is its most overlooked feature. No more. With a program called TVersity, you can stream any video over your home network to the Zen X-Fi. The best thing about TVersity is its ability to transcode the files for your player without conversion, meaning the program will transcode that H.264-encoded (iPod video spec) video to a type that the X-Fi can handle on the fly. In this guide, Iíll show you how to set up TVersity for using it on the X-Fi. Also included is a guide to streaming live TV such as CNN, Sky News, and MLB TV to the X-Fi. Enjoy!
Really cool...I just watched CNN on my Zen. Awesome stuff.

I think the Zen really has a lot of potential...I think the reviews too negative, heh.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 AM

Help How about FireWire?

Hi! In your review, you only listed Windows as a compatible OS and USB as interface. Is it impossible to connect the player via FireWire? And this might not be my concern, since I would never buy such a thing, but what about apple users?

Last edited by flatten the skyline; 08-02-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm wondering if since this last update (1.03.01) if the SQ has FINALLY caught up to the D2. I'm hearing that it's really refined the X-Fi a bit. Anybody have an answer please?

Old 08-02-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmg View Post
You can stream live TV on the Zen X-Fi and stream other things with more functions by using a program called TVersity.
Yeh that's a really good program. It's what i use to stream stuff to my PS3

Last edited by XJ3F3Y; 08-03-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatten the skyline View Post
Hi! In your review, you only listed Windows as a compatible OS and USB as interface. Is it impossible to connect the player via FireWire? And this might not be my concern, since I would never buy such a thing, but what about apple users?
The player doesn't have a firewire port so you cant use firewire.

The creative software doesn't support macintosh so if you are able to import music using drag and drop I doubt you can convert videos into the player

Old 09-23-2008, 01:03 PM

im looking to exchanging my nano for one of these... i realli would pick fm radio+voice recording over the ipod slim look... but i'm wondering if theres asian language support? like chinese, jap korean?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM

i can't differentiate chinese from japanese, but there are two languages with nearly the same symbols (tradional and simplified chinese, i guess), one with completely different (japanese, i guess) and (yes, i can tell that for sure cause of the symbols) korean

i'm so proud of myself...

Last edited by Cyphox; 09-23-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feish View Post
im looking to exchanging my nano for one of these... i realli would pick fm radio+voice recording over the ipod slim look... but i'm wondering if theres asian language support? like chinese, jap korean?
X-Fi supports Asian languages in song titles, artists and etc. Traditional/Simplified Chinese and Japanese (hiragana, katagana & kanji) are ok

It can record voice but radio.

Last edited by utopia-be; 09-25-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:54 PM

Default Getting Music on the player

I have the software on my laptop but I don't want to depend on just my laptop or the 1 OS it's installed on within the laptop. So my question is: Can I just open the player like it's a flash drive and drag and drop music/videos in their corresponding folders or will the Zen not recognize them? I haven't tried it yet without the software but I want to know if anybody has.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post

Yeah, but it seems DAP's these days are going in the opposite direction in terms of usability and feature sets. Manufactures seem to try to cram as many features in their players, but end up poorly implementing them and removing the ones that were working great.
I agree Y dont they just focus on sound quality? where an mp3 player should really shine. I would buy the best SQ mp3 player even though it only has monochrome screen. Please Mp3 makers FOCUS on UR GOALS!!!!... Make us an mp3 player that will blow our minds with awesome sound quality, not with useless features that u dont really need in an mp3 player most of the time (ehem ipod touch).

Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyrtantar View Post
I have the software on my laptop but I don't want to depend on just my laptop or the 1 OS it's installed on within the laptop. So my question is: Can I just open the player like it's a flash drive and drag and drop music/videos in their corresponding folders or will the Zen not recognize them? I haven't tried it yet without the software but I want to know if anybody has.
As long as you are using an MTP compatible OS (Vista, WinXP with WMP11), you should be able to drag-and-drop (using Windows Explorer) in the corresponding areas on the Zen. I do this all of the time and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrosaria View Post
I agree Y dont they just focus on sound quality? where an mp3 player should really shine. I would buy the best SQ mp3 player even though it only has monochrome screen. Please Mp3 makers FOCUS on UR GOALS!!!!... Make us an mp3 player that will blow our minds with awesome sound quality, not with useless features that u dont really need in an mp3 player most of the time (ehem ipod touch).
Yeah, for the most part I agree. However, I do like some of the "extra" features. I just don't like the poorly implemented ones or features that interfere or take away from primary features and even ease of use.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-29-2008, 01:32 PM

maybe it's me being new to an alternate to the iPod, but I love the sound on my zen x-fi. For me it has made my songs and podcasts sound even better with the x-fi crystalizer on.. Not so with the expand on. But I'm loving it enough to learn new programs and to ween off my dependence on the iPod/iTunes experience.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliofromny View Post
maybe it's me being new to an alternate to the iPod, but I love the sound on my zen x-fi. For me it has made my songs and podcasts sound even better with the x-fi crystalizer on.. Not so with the expand on. But I'm loving it enough to learn new programs and to ween off my dependence on the iPod/iTunes experience.
Glad to hear you like it juliofromny Next thing you know you'll be buying new headphones and Fiio amps. Welcome to ABI

Old 10-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, you've been set free juliofromny!

Zen FAQ

Old 10-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
Glad to hear you like it juliofromny Next thing you know you'll be buying new headphones and Fiio amps. Welcome to ABI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Yeah, you've been set free juliofromny!

LOL.. Thanks.. I'm already using shure se 110 which are pretty good, though the ones that came with the zen aren't bad either

Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 PM

Just curious what video format looks and sounds best on the zen x-fi? I noticed some podcast have different rss formats. So how does wmv fare against div-x?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Looks and sound has more to do with using a good source and encoding settings/program more so than and actual codec/container. Either WMV and/or AVI can look and sound outstanding when done properly. I either use XVID/AVI or WMV files. Most of the time, WMV is what I end up using due to the Zen having a known progressive A/V sync issue when using AVI.

Zen FAQ

Tags
d2, review, x-fi, zen x-fi