android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
If you want the entire display to turn off, use the hold button. After a few seconds of putting the Zen on hold, the screen will turn off.
Since he has zen X-fi i assume you mean push the power button upwards and put it into lock mode, after which it automatically switches the display light off. Am I right?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, sorry. Hold....Lock....

Zen FAQ

Old 02-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
I have an X-Fi in my hands and would like to share the details. What questions do you have and what are you dying to know about the Zen X-Fi?

Here are my Zen X-Fi Photos.

Details:
  • SD Memory is NOT integrated into the main memory.
  • Housing is plastic and the face edge is chromed plastic.
  • Wi-Fi connects to UPNP network devices flawlessly.
  • Build Quality: Overall its well built, better than the Zen.
  • You can listen to or download to the device over Wi-Fi (download is VERY slow)
  • Keypad is a bit too small for my fingers, not too comfortable. (subjective)
  • Inputting text is not like what you would find on a phone. You have to "d-pad" to the onscreen key, then press the center button a number of times in order to select a single letter. There is no "predictive iput".
  • No Gtalk, No Yahoo!, No MSN- just creative's chat service. Am I missing something? Looks like it will display your real name for the entire world to see and browse... very bad.
  • Cannot listen to music and chat at the same time.
  • The battery time for streaming over Wi-Fi is about 3-4 hours. This may improve when they fix the fact that the screen will not shut off while streaming.

Bugs:
  • Will not go into sleep mode or shut off the screen while you are browsing the memory card.
I just got a Zen X Fi and am slowly figuring it all out. I want to know if I have a malfunction or is this normal....? I can fast forward and rewind while listening to a song, but when I do it while listening to an audible book it will just shut down, go black and I have to restart and it says reloading. It's pretty important to be able to fast fwd to find your place if you forgot to bookmark, or just to rehear something you missed. Can YOU try this..IF you have a book downloaded. Thanks

Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

for the record, ebook = digital textbook, audio book = what you mean.

I've had similar troubles with a sansa clip. Dunno what causes it but a complete reformat and reinstall of the firmware fixed it for me. Different players of course, but since it was both audible...

Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 AM

Okay so I'm thinking about buying a zen x-fi 16 gb and i would like to know a few things (hence why I'm in this thread).

1. How many hours of videos can i expect to be able to put on it (assuming its empty). I did a rough estimate of about 80 hours (that seems like alot...)
2. As we all know the sd card integration is a bit lacking with music but whats the video playback like with it? Videos dont really require being in a "library" like music does on modern players.

Since i have currently an old 512mb muvo txfm which has since become quite full (main reason why i want a new mp3 player) i am abit cautious about the size of a player.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcliff View Post
I just got a Zen X Fi and am slowly figuring it all out. I want to know if I have a malfunction or is this normal....? I can fast forward and rewind while listening to a song, but when I do it while listening to an audible book it will just shut down, go black and I have to restart and it says reloading. It's pretty important to be able to fast fwd to find your place if you forgot to bookmark, or just to rehear something you missed. Can YOU try this..IF you have a book downloaded. Thanks
THIS MY FRIEND................
is a bug with the format of the file.
Ok may be not, but most probably it is, since i've seen people with the same problem in the other threads as well.
You might want to try resetting the zen by re-installing the firmware.
I don't think zen has problems with "audio-books" in particular, since it treats every file by what it is, not what it has in it.
But since it is having problems with specific files, I believe its a case of format error.
You might want to try downloading other audio books from other sources and play them.

If the problem persists, we'll see what can be done.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiFritz View Post
Okay so I'm thinking about buying a zen x-fi 16 gb and i would like to know a few things (hence why I'm in this thread).

1. How many hours of videos can i expect to be able to put on it (assuming its empty). I did a rough estimate of about 80 hours (that seems like alot...)
2. As we all know the sd card integration is a bit lacking with music but whats the video playback like with it? Videos dont really require being in a "library" like music does on modern players.

Since i have currently an old 512mb muvo txfm which has since become quite full (main reason why i want a new mp3 player) i am abit cautious about the size of a player.
1. See, as far as the number of video hours go, my calculation is this way:

Size per movie = 350mb
Size of your zen = 16000mb

=> Movies that fit into the zen = 16000/350 = 46 (rough estimate).

Rounding it all off, lets say you get 45 movies on your zen.
For one movie, you might consider it to be 1:40Hours which means about 65 hours of video.

2. Yes they don't require to be in the library, in fact to my belief, neither does music, but anyway i think with an 8gb sd card, loaded with movies, you'll be made to search a little, but since everything is arranged in an alphabetic form, you should be fine with it. Not a very big problem.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunglePimp View Post
1. See, as far as the number of video hours go, my calculation is this way:

Size per movie = 350mb
Size of your zen = 16000mb

=> Movies that fit into the zen = 16000/350 = 46 (rough estimate).

Rounding it all off, lets say you get 45 movies on your zen.
For one movie, you might consider it to be 1:40Hours which means about 65 hours of video.

2. Yes they don't require to be in the library, in fact to my belief, neither does music, but anyway i think with an 8gb sd card, loaded with movies, you'll be made to search a little, but since everything is arranged in an alphabetic form, you should be fine with it. Not a very big problem.
Thanks, the main concern was buying a 16 gb then finding out i should have gotten a 32gb or something.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiFritz View Post
Thanks, the main concern was buying a 16 gb then finding out i should have gotten a 32gb or something.
Then purchase the 32GB and not have that worry. It's not like you here people say " damn, I should have bought a smaller capacity version". Usually it is the other way around for that complaint. Determine the size you need, and then get the model with the next higher capacity (assuming money is not an issue, but then again if it were, you most likely wouldn't have this worry to begin with since you couldn't afford it anyway). Most usually end up wishing they had more capacity.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 PM

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying a Zen X-Fi, well, thinking, deep down I know I'm going to buy it. Since my other option is.. not really an option. Right now I'm in the possession of a Zen Vision:M 32GB, which I love, but 32GB just isn't enough. Which is something I am secretly ashamed of But that's not the point.

I just have a couple of questions before I actually order my X-Fi:
- Are those buttons really as annoying as most reviews make them sound? (Oh, I'm not interested in the chat function, so answers involving 'qwerty' don't apply.. That sounds bitchy :/)
- The SD card not being integrated, keep hearing complaints about that. Say I use the SD just for movies, what would be the problem? (I'm guessing nothing.. right?)
- Is it true the X-Fi has no video out? Might have to carry my Vision:M around for watching videos on TV..
- Is it still possible to pick my own background pic

Well that was it for now.. If I think of anything else I'll post it here.
Byebye

Old 02-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadieh View Post
Hi!
Welcome!

Quote:
Right now I'm in the possession of a Zen Vision:M 32GB, which I love, but 32GB just isn't enough. Which is something I am secretly ashamed of But that's not the point.
Nothing to be ashamed of! Many here feel the same way with 32GB not being enough.

Quote:
- Are those buttons really as annoying as most reviews make them sound?
Yes! But that's me.

Quote:
- The SD card not being integrated, keep hearing complaints about that. Say I use the SD just for movies, what would be the problem? (I'm guessing nothing.. right?)
Correct, nothing. I use it for the same; movies/TV

Quote:
- Is it true the X-Fi has no video out? Might have to carry my Vision:M around for watching videos on TV..
Yes, that is true; no video output.

Quote:
- Is it still possible to pick my own background pic
Yes, you can set your own pictures as the background.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Default question :P

hi!
I was wondering if I should buy any specific
sd card for the x-fi?
or do all branded sd cards work with it?
can anyone please clear this to me? thank you!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkloo View Post
hi!
I was wondering if I should buy any specific
sd card for the x-fi?
or do all branded sd cards work with it?
can anyone please clear this to me? thank you!
Hello. You may want to have a look at Creative's site here for a list of known compatible SD cards. Also this thread here for the regular Zen is a good place to start as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-06-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Hello. You may want to have a look at Creative's site here for a list of known compatible SD cards. Also this thread here for the regular Zen is a good place to start as well.

Actually most of them work fine with zen x-fi I guess. Haven't yet heard someone who experienced compatibility probs...

Old 03-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Haven't yet heard someone who experienced compatibility probs...
Check out these threads here and here and you will see people with problems. Many older, small capacity cards will not work as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Check out these threads here and here and you will see people with problems. Many older, small capacity cards will not work as well.
Hmm....Well then i believe people should stick to the most widely used/available and compatible brads in the market. Else its a matter of risk

Old 03-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hmm....Well then i believe people should stick to the most widely used/available and compatible brads in the market. Else its a matter of risk
Yeah..... or read up on compatible cards that are known to work before purchasing.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM

Oke, I just bought the Creative Zen X-Fi, but cant figure out 1 thing.

The screen just wont go BLACK, not dimming, but BLACK. Hold button just dims the darn thing.

What am I doing wrong?

P.s. Like in the menu, with music video's where you just wanna listen and not watch.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 PM

It will not go black immediately, there is a delay. Go into the settings, then "Display Settings", and change the "Blackout Time" "Backlight Time". See if that helps.

Also, are you watching a video? It's possible the X-Fi wont turn the screen off if it's playing a video.

IF this is the case you may want to "demux" the audio stream from your videos, convert them (if necessary), and load them onto the player.
Not very convenient, but it might be your best option.

Last edited by Hirudin; 04-21-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:24 AM

What you have to do is you have to lightly push the start button "up". Normally you press it downwards to start the player, now you have to push it up, and it will turn the LCD off.

I haven't yet heard of "blackout time" on zen x-fi, please update me if i'm missing out on something.

Tags
d2, review, x-fi, zen x-fi