android
Old 07-20-2008, 10:17 AM

Default External memory and slower boot times

Added a 4GB SDHC card yesterday and filled it with music. Sure enough the player now takes around 28-29 seconds to initialize with 'Profiling Media Files' being displayed. If I have bluetooth turned on, this is then further extended by a few seconds. If it's this slow with just a 4GB SDHC I don't think I'll bother with anything larger! I can't imagine using playlists either from what people have been saying here.

At least it isn't quite as bad as the Sansa e260 we have which was ridiculous with an external memory card installed. We just don't even bother using external memory on that one. It's so slow on bootup as to be unusable and it can only take upto 2GB at that!

I wonder if the designers of these mp3 players ever actually try and use them with memory installed! I mean why do they have to keep checking the memory card each time. My Pocket PC doesn't do this. So I wonder what the purpose of this checking of the media files is for and why it is necessary?

I can just about live with the current boot time with the bluetooth initialization added, but any longer and I'd end up removing card and not using it just as with the Sansa. This is a very good reason for those of you contemplating purchasing the Pilot to get the 8GB over the 4GB even if you think you won't need that much space thinking you can always expand it in the future. The extended boot time with memory card is almost on the edge of being unusable for me. This is one thing I'd love a new firmware to fix, but I think Pigs will fly before that ever happened as that wasn't even fixed on the Sansa and it had more firmware releases whereas the Pilot hasn't even had one yet!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2008, 07:27 PM

I agree with you that this is the one bug that needs to be fixed. I've found that the size of the card doesn't matter and that I have found that it doesn't matter whether playlists are on the card or not.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
I agree with you that this is the one bug that needs to be fixed. I've found that the size of the card doesn't matter and that I have found that it doesn't matter whether playlists are on the card or not.
Now do you mean if I put in an 8 or 16GB card, the boot time will be around the same as for my 4GB card? If that's the case, then I might actually purchase a larger card later on when they drop a bit more. After all if it takes the same 28 seconds or so to boot with my 4GB, I might as well have an 8 or 16GB to make the wait more worthwhile right?

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM

Yeah, I found that the 28 sec or so initialization time is constant regardless of the card capacity (4GB and 8GB cards tested) and regardless of how much data was actually on each card.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 PM

With a 16GB card it takes about 21 seconds for my player to boot up.

Too slow for me, so I stopped using the card.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post
Yeah, I found that the 28 sec or so initialization time is constant regardless of the card capacity (4GB and 8GB cards tested) and regardless of how much data was actually on each card.
Doesn't the file number limit preclude getting maximum use out of the larger cards anyway? That is unless you are storing large video files on the external card?

Dana

Old 07-24-2008, 12:23 AM

While we are discussing external memory, I am a newbie and have just plugged in an 8GB card. My computer sees it as does the View Folders option on the player, but I have not got the faintest idea on how to make it work with the pilot. I can't load music or any other file directly ... do I need to format the card first? Are there any switches that need to be thrown in the pilot?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhartsoc View Post
Doesn't the file number limit preclude getting maximum use out of the larger cards anyway? That is unless you are storing large video files on the external card?

Dana
Yep like 3k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bob View Post
While we are discussing external memory, I am a newbie and have just plugged in an 8GB card. My computer sees it as does the View Folders option on the player, but I have not got the faintest idea on how to make it work with the pilot. I can't load music or any other file directly ... do I need to format the card first? Are there any switches that need to be thrown in the pilot?
Make sure the card is formatted as FAT 32. I've had no problems formating the drive in Windows and using it. Now the manual does say that you should format it from the options menu.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:06 PM

I just picked up a 4gb sdhc card yesterday despite the concerns about slower boot time.

Turns out, I'm not having any issues with it. I got a SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 4gb card from Costco if anyone wants to compare specs.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbrnr View Post
I just picked up a 4gb sdhc card yesterday despite the concerns about slower boot time.

Turns out, I'm not having any issues with it. I got a SanDisk Ultra II SDHC 4gb card from Costco if anyone wants to compare specs.
So what is your bootup time?

Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 PM

About 10 - 12 seconds from the insignia logo