android
Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM

Page Anyone else's X-Fi freezing a lot?

Since I got mine Thursday, I've had 6 different times my player has locked up. The firmware update this weekend didn't help any. I've had a lock up after I named a FM preset, when I was adding 400 tracks to my playlist one by one (4 different times it locked up forcing me to reset), and once when I was checking the system settings.
I don't mind resetting if my playlist is saved, but I wanted to make sure my player isn't buggy.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Editor

Mine froze twice already with the newest firmware. Its a good thing they made the reset button bigger.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Methinks that Creative's last leg to stand on is weakening....

Old 07-21-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Mine froze twice already with the newest firmware. Its a good thing they made the reset button bigger.
heh
So it's not just me. Hopefully Creative will release another firmware fix for this.

I also hate the buttons. Pressing them for a long periods of time start to sting. I really miss the Vision's touch pad, but I digress.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well for what it's worth, running the latest firmware on my 32GB Zen, it may have locked up on me twice now since it has been released (one I think was my fault). Creative has a history or releasing their players with immature firmware, but eventually get them worked out to be pretty stable.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-22-2008, 01:34 AM

Are you guys sure you are running the latest firmware?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

salami:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelucy View Post
The firmware update this weekend didn't help any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Mine froze twice already with the newest firmware.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Editor

Quote:
I also hate the buttons. Pressing them for a long periods of time start to sting. I really miss the Vision's touch pad, but I digress.
Yeah, it hurts my thumb after using it for a few minutes.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:56 PM

Let's see, the most current firmware causes the unit to lock, the screen to flicker, and lines across the screen when in sub menus.

The button layout just plain sucks. They are unmarked, they are hard to push if you have large hands causing you to hit the other buttons, and making the upper and lower middle buttons the volume up and down was just plain idiotic. The volume buttons should have been made separate.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Hmmm, you guys are starting to make the Zune more and more attractive.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ilovelucy, you may want to try booting into Recovery Mode and doing a Cleanup to see if that helps with the lock-ups you are getting. If that doesn't help and since you have reloaded the firmware, you can also try a Format (will lose files) or even another computer to test.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-23-2008, 12:35 PM

I haven't had any freezing since I cut back my transferring of tracks from my Vision M to my X-Fi. I'm not going to start all over again after it took me 5 days to transfer 70% of my music. (It would be so simple if I could just drag and drop songs off the vision m to the x-fi, but the album art doesn't carry over.)

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A Cleanup may still do some good since you have so many files. You won't lose any files doing a Cleanup or Firmware reload; only a Format. So, you shouldn't have to start all over.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Editor

Quote:
(It would be so simple if I could just drag and drop songs off the vision m to the x-fi, but the album art doesn't carry over.)
If you load the player with WMP11 the album art will show. Just open up WMP11 and drag and drop to the left sync colum, then press sync. But first transfer all from the ZVM to your computer first.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Album art should also carry over if the album art was embedded in the files' ID3v2 tags. What usually prevents a Zen from displaying embedded art is if more than one method of transferring files to the thing has been used (ie. using a combination of WMP and drag-and-drop).

Old 07-25-2008, 12:11 AM

When I first got the X-Fi, I drag and dropped all my music files off the V:M to my computer then dragged and dropped to the X-Fi. No album art at all and I set up mediamonkey to embed the art into the tag when I added music to the V:M.

Like Enzo suggested, this week I started doing the WMP method of transferring music to the computer then transferring to the X-Fi. To put it in perspective of how music I have left to move, my V:M only had 3MBs free. As of right now, my X-Fi has 16 gigs free so basically I have 14 gigs left to transfer.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Keep in mind the Zen/X-Fi only supports embedded album art in the ID3 tag; no jpeg file association. Using a sync program is usually the best method for getting album art to transfer.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM

I got my Zen X-FI today!! It froze once (so far) when I was accessing a video on a memory card for the second time. The first time I viewed the same video there were no problems. Recovery was fast, and it played the file the third time, although the sound was not quite synched with the video. So it may have been a file issue, as another video (on another card) worked fine. These were movies that I converted for my ZVM using iriverter. (edit - two iriverter files have done this sound synch issue so far, so I'm off to search in the forum to find a better conversion method. )

Last edited by Amy; 07-28-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
(edit - two iriverter files have done this sound synch issue so far, so I'm off to search in the forum to find a better conversion method. )
Were they AVI files? Sounds like the same "out of sync issue" for AVI files that the regular Zen seems to have a problem with. Doesn't sound like the issue has been addressed with the X-Fi.....

Zen FAQ

Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 PM

I had one freeze today although my father said his Zen (not x-fi) freezes from time to time.Not to meantion my old mp3 players like zen vision w,zen vision m,zen microphoto ,zen V plus all froze from time to time.

But I agree with EnzoTan.The X-FI function doesn't enhance the music much.

I think maybe it benefits with some types of music.

Bassy songs are not recommended using the x-fi function as the bass becomes distorted.