android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 07-22-2008, 06:35 PM

Default Would you buy an X-FI or the Zen to replace ZVM

I've had a vision m in different forms for the 2+ years and now comes the time to get something new and despite its faults I think its down to X-Fi or Zen and since X-fi's only shining quality is the speaker and the zen has 5 way pad instead of 9 tiny buttons I'm having trouble deciding. I'm not bashing I'm just saying that the new features are severely crippled and we know the Zen's problems. I've used the Zen but is the X-fi really much better?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM

I was contemplating the same thing today, and I went ahead and bought the 16gb version @ amazon with one day shipping.

I'll post in this thread tommorow with my comments, I guess.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It is really going to be up to the person, but I still think they are two completely different DAP's. Going from the ZVM to the Zen/X-Fi.... you will add/improve some features and you will lose/worsen some features. It will be up to the person to decide if the features of the ZVM will be worth the trade-off to a newer Zen. Personally, both would go hand-in-hand perfectly.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 PM

Ideal would be a ZVM-2 32g with integrated sd 16m colors on a 3" screen and all the same old features. Every Creative player I've ever used has killed ipod yet those things sell in vending machines by the millions

Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --> Ideal would be a ZVM-2 32g with integrated sd 16m colors on a 3" screen and all the same old features.
In the new Zen form factor, look, flash memory (instead of a hard drive) and runtime.... to name a few others.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 AM

I have a three year old Zen Sleek Photo that the battery finally decided to die on. Of course Creative no longer supports the player and told me I am SOL and need to buy a new player. I started looking about a month ago and after much research finally decided on the Zen X-Fi.<o>

</o>
After spending about 2 weeks with the Zen X-Fi I came to the determination that the only advantage between the Zen and the Zen X-FI is that the Zen-FI is slightly louder. All of the crystallization and enhancements added to the X-Fi really do nothing except destroy your music. They are not as good as other sound enhancements such as BBS, WOW, SRS, ECT. With all of the sound enhancements turned off, music does sound great. This defeats the purpose of X-Fi. <o>

</o>
The Wi-Fi is pretty much useless. The wireless streaming does work but it kills battery life. Between the regular Zen and the X-Fi, the regular Zen has a better button layout and is easier to use out of the box. I ended up going back to the regular Zen.<o></o>

Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 AM

I haven't bought an mp3 player to replace my first generation iPod mini (haha) because I was holding out for something cool. I eventually settled on the Zen last month, but then they released the X-Fi and...

As for the buttons, I don't get them either. According to this review:

"The buttons are easy to press, provide good feedback, and are spaced out enough to prevent mis-presses, but I don't understand their value. They literally do nothing that can't be done with a more traditional control."

So they should be easy to use, and they look cool, but the Zen's interface probably should have been used instead.

But eventually I decided on the X-Fi. Even if the whole Chat thing doesn't work, you're basically getting a Creative Zen for pretty much the same price, but with a speaker, and decent wireless streaming / download features. Plus, to me the Zen X-Fi looks much better: less toylike, more solid.

I'm also holding out on the hope that Creative releases some sort of firmware update that allows you to actually use Yahoo and MSN Messenger as advertised.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront View Post
I have a three year old Zen Sleek Photo that the battery finally decided to die on. Of course Creative no longer supports the player and told me I am SOL and need to buy a new player.
You know.... the battery can be replaced:
New Battery here.
Disassembly here.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm keeping my current ZVM. The battery still holds a good charge, and everything still works great. If anything, I'm going to get a larger-capacity hard drive for it, as I'm just about maxed out now.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:31 PM
ABI Founder

I would say fix, update, or refurbish your ZVM- its still a great player. Aside from size, there are very few improvements upgrading the Zen. Creative has a winner and they don't know it.

It would have been great if they polished up the ZVM's firmware slimmed the form factor and put flash in it (and maybe a bigger battery). They would have had a winner.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you take the ZVM in its entirety, add the Zen's hi-bit screen, add the X-Fi's WiFi capabilities, gave it proper SD-card integration, and ditched the chat - you'd have a truly amazing player.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Yes Zenchick it would be but that would be a move that everyone would think is smart not just the creative engineers that they let out in the sunlight twice a year to buy pop rocks

Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Ok, I said I'd post my comment on here, so I will.

I replaced my ZVM with the X-fi, which I've had for two days. In terms of screen quality, it seems to me that the X-fi wins. It seems to have more colors in it; I don't know if I'm delusional, or it's fact, but I'm impressed with the screen to say the least. The audio is definitely louder than the ZVM (with the X-fi turned OFF), and the headphones included are better than average, even though I'm not a big fan of those squishy ear bud things.

In terms of navigating, it didn't take me long to get used to it. I had my ZVM for 14 months, and it's not a big shift to the 9 buttons on the X-fi. Some people have said their fingers hurt, but I haven't found that with my experience.

One of my gripes that I haven't seen mentioned is that it picks up fingerprints quite easily. It's not that big of a deal, but it's worth noting. EDIT: Another thing is if you listen to songs on random play all. On the ZVM, you could skip ahead as many times as you want, with each song starting on play, until you've gone through every song once. With this player, if you're skipping through random songs, once you get through around 3-4 songs, it'll stop, and you're forced to hit the play button again. Again, not that big of a deal, but still worth noting.

I thought the software was horrible when I first started using it, but I've found it to be more decent than the software that came with my ZVM. At least this software easily transfers album art, where as I could never figure out how to do so with Creative Media Source. However, as everyone knows, the format support isn't there. It takes a while to convert mp4 videos that you want transfered on your player, where as the Zen Vision M Media Explorer would transfer it in mere seconds.

The player is also much smaller than the ZVM. If you've watched EnzoTen's videos, like I did several times before purchase, the player looks much bigger. I invisioned it as a ZVM turned horizontally. However, it's much much smaller. It's actually shorter than my debit card.

Overall, I'd reccomend it, especially if you've had your player for that long. Of course, I don't know how long this one will last durability wise, but it is a sleek player that feels sturdy.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 AM

I replaced my Zen Vision W 60GB for a Zen X-Fi

I've bought it already and its on its way to me from hong kong.

I've also emailed Creatove HK asking them about the yahoo and msn messenger on the player.It'll be interesting to hear what they say.They haven't replied yet and I emailed them yesterday

Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 PM

Creative wrote

Thanks for your enquiry.
The ZEN X-Fi 16G/32G with wifi function has MSN function only

So where is the MSN function?

Old 07-26-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salami View Post
Creative wrote

Thanks for your enquiry.
The ZEN X-Fi 16G/32G with wifi function has MSN function only

So where is the MSN function?
Non-existant from what I can tell.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:56 PM

Back to the question (Would you buy an X-Fi or the Zen to replace ZVM?), I would have to say no. The design of the player although it is very cool and compact looks too much like a phone on it's side (you sort of need to use your imagination lol, but that could be just me and my whacky imagination ) A lot of the features look pretty cool (wireless streaming from a computer etc) and the chat looks alright, but I might - with what I have learnt from reveiws - stick to the good old ZVM until creative perfects a player with all the X-Fi features and more

Old 07-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Overall, I'd reccomend it, especially if you've had your player for that long. Of course, I don't know how long this one will last durability wise, but it is a sleek player that feels sturdy.
I don't know I'm pretty good with my players. I've had 2 ZVMs put silicones on them and both are still going. I put mine in a sony digital camera zip closed belt bag and have never had any problems working underground utility jobs. The X-fi being smaller and lighter than my fatboy 60gb I bet I could do the junior high egg off the roof test and pass with flying colors.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:45 PM

no i bought a d2 to replace mine

Old 07-28-2008, 04:55 PM

I've had my Zen X-Fi for 2 days now and am really liking it.
Screen quality is excellent and it's definetly louder than the previous Zens.
Also as Shadow pointed out the 'Creative Centrale' software is pretty decent once you get your head around it.
A very sleek, sexy player in my opinion....