android
Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 PM

Default No more 8GB Pilot?

I see that the 8GB Pilot is not on the Best Buy site, only the 4GB. Is another model coming out?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Default Looks that way..

You can still get one in the Best Buy Ebay outlet but it's completely gone from the Best Buy website. Speaking of the Best Buy outlet, the going price since yesterday is about 70 bucks for the 8GB. There were quite a few 8GB's up for sale or auction. Today, there were only a few 8Gb units available. Looks like they're going fast. I'm tempted to pick up another one as a back-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIN View Post
I see that the 8GB Pilot is not on the Best Buy site, only the 4GB. Is another model coming out?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:11 PM

Man that might not be good... stopping production? If so then we will never see a F/W update.

I just bought one of the 8GB pilots for 70 bucks for my wife

Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 AM

The NS-DV was out of production, yet the adapted Pilot FW breathed fresh life into the older player. One can always hope...
Still think $70 for an 8GB Pilot is too steep for beta firmware, YMMV though.

As an 8GB readable Flash drive/player $50 can be had at cowboom (BestBuy's self Auction)

Old 07-29-2008, 12:32 PM

Default replacement of 8gb Pilot

I spoke to one of the worker bees at Best Buy yesterday and he said that yes, they were doing away with the current 8gb Pilot, but there was a replacement coming out. He just didn't know when or the spec on it yet.
S

Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I spoke to one of the worker bees at Best Buy yesterday and he said that yes, they were doing away with the current 8gb Pilot, but there was a replacement coming out. He just didn't know when or the spec on it yet.
S
Well thats sad especially since I just received the 8GB Pilot. If I knew a new version is coming out I would just give my old player to my wife and get the new one hehe...

Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 AM

Just last month I had enough store credit to buy a 4gb Pilot, but if I knew Insignia was making a new player, I would've saved up my money and waited.
NES, N64, CameCube, Xbox, Wii

Old 07-30-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGot.a.mac View Post
Just last month I had enough store credit to buy a 4gb Pilot, but if I knew Insignia was making a new player, I would've saved up my money and waited.
Sadly but thats exactly what most companies want you to do. This is why Apple keeps anything new secret until that big show that they do.

Companies want people to buy things until the last minute, then they release something new and you will want to buy that...

Luckly for us, there is a 30 day return policy, but I doubt too many people would want to deal with the hassle.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
if I knew Insignia was making a new player
I think you mean 'imminently about to release a new player' after all we do 'already know' that there is a good chance that they are working on a new player. Companies don't suddenly design and manufacturer a new model about a month or two before release You can get an idea of how long a consumer product takes from design to release when it doesn't support the latest memory cards for instance even though the memory cards have been out for what seems quite a while.

As covertrussion says, it's not in their best interest to let you know of any newer models until the last minute otherwise their revenue would suddenly dry up as consumers waited. There have been companies in the past that got burned this way by announcing a successor early only to realize that it was taking longer to get it to market than they thought. They then suffered financial difficulties that in the case of small companies have led to their demise.