android
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Default Details on recording via microphone

I've been using minidisc for some 10 years to make live recordings at concerts for personal use (AKA bootlegs). I'd like to use move away from MD for a number of reasons and the Pilot looks like the best device for my needs. I would use it with some Core Sound Binaural stealth microphones (powered).

How is the sound quality?
Can you adjust record levels on the fly?
Is the recording saved as a simple WAV file?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM

How is the sound quality?
Very good...and I'm VERY picky.

Can you adjust record levels on the fly?
Sort of...it's a little tricky. You have to adjust the level in the settings menu THEN record and see how the VUs respond..back and forth until you get it right. It's a bit of a pain, but it works

BTW levels seem to be best at just blinking the highest level indicator. 0-db seems to be just a little beyond that...that is to say the highest level light constantly lit..or close to it.

Is the recording saved as a simple WAV file?

Here are it's available recording formats:

PCM
"highest" 1536kbps (48Khz)
"high" 1411kbps (44.1KHz)
"medium" 1024kbps (32KHz)

WMA (44.1 KHz)
"highest" 128kbps
"high" 96kbps
"medium" 80kbps
"low" 64kbps

As a former MD recordist myself, IMHO you will not be in the least bit disappointed in the Pilot. It's highest PCM formating is actually BETTER than the PCM mode on the old HiMD recorders.

Oh...and..It'll make excellent recordings of your MDs too.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am really shocked and surprised to find such an ideal DAP that also records in uncompressed PCM!

Do you mean to say that once a recording is started, that you cannot adjust the record level without stopping the recording, changing the record level, and re-starting the recording?

How does the pilot determine whether it will save the recorded file on internal or SD memory?

Also, what bitrate do you choose to record in?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackboot View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am really shocked and surprised to find such an ideal DAP that also records in uncompressed PCM!

Do you mean to say that once a recording is started, that you cannot adjust the record level without stopping the recording, changing the record level, and re-starting the recording?
Yep. It's a real pain, but well worth it. You'd be better off ajusting the input level before it goes into the Pilot if you need to make quick adjustments on the fly. Just keep in ind that you can always boost the level later if you need to without any significant degradation (after all it's digital)...however there's really nothing you can do to correct a recording that's too hot.

"vol. 12" is very close to standard line level 0-db

Quote:
How does the pilot determine whether it will save the recorded file on internal or SD memory?
It only records on the internal memory. If you have a really long recording to make you'll wanna start with a clean flash drive. Don't worry though. 4Gb is more than enough recording time at even the highest level.

Quote:
Also, what bitrate do you choose to record in?
PCM 1536kbps (48Khz)..that's actually a bit higher quality than a CD! I'm an analog nut at hart, and nothing digital seems to be able to make a copy as well as my old open reel deck..somehow everything I've tried digital looses that warm analog sound. I used to like ATRAC (SP) for dubbing from an analog source better than anything else digital..yes, really. High rate PCM seems to do ok..but again..I'm VERY picky.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive-In-Freak
It only records on the internal memory. If you have a really long recording to make you'll wanna start with a clean flash drive. Don't worry though. 4Gb is more than enough recording time at even the highest level.

PCM 1536kbps (48Khz)..that's actually a bit higher quality than a CD! I'm an analog nut at hart, and nothing digital seems to be able to make a copy as well as my old open reel deck..somehow everything I've tried digital looses that warm analog sound. I used to like ATRAC (SP) for dubbing from an analog source better than anything else digital..yes, really. High rate PCM seems to do ok..but again..I'm VERY picky.
Great - thanks for the detailed info!

Am I correct that recording at standard 44.1Khz (CD quality) will burn up 650MB for 74 minutes of music and 700MB/80 minutes, just like a CD?

The longest recordings I'll make will be a single concert, so pretty much maxing out at 1.5 - 2 hours including the opening band.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:35 PM

Yes. That's about right.