android
Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 AM

Default Rockbox development status

Hello everybody,

I'm wondering how the development of a Rockbox firmware for the Fuze is going and would appreciate if someone, that is following it, could say a few words about this and maybe even guess a rough timeframe, when a port could be avaiable.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
ABI Invaluable

why not check on rockbox.org

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Well I did, but there is no information on this and no timeframe for a release. I chose not to ask there, because I didn't want to hold back the devs.

On their forums, there is a topic about the developement, but people just post information about the player there and its hard to tell how far they are, because the whole discussion is highly technical.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:22 PM

I checked a few weeks ago and it seems like very little progress has been made. It seems to still be in the preliminary investigation and experimentation phase. So my guess is any kind of usable release is still a long way off.

I hope they pull it off. I think of the current generation of players, the Fuze is probably the most attractive target for Rockbox.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 PM

Thats kinda bad news, I was hoping that something would be coming out within a few months. Sounds like they'll need some months more then. Anyway, its great that a project like Rockbox exists and I'm hoping that they'll make progress fast.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here is a thread that talks about it: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14064.0

Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM

Just a word of advice regarding the RockBox developer's forum...please refrain from posting general questions about status, making feature requests, etc. as this is regarded as "noise" and will not help get anything done any faster.

If you are able to contribute useful information, donate hardware, etc. it's OK to jump in and post it - otherwise it's best to just lurk there.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:10 PM

zickZackMann already wisely made that determination as is evidenced by: "I chose not to ask there, because I didn't want to hold back the devs."

Old 08-01-2008, 08:49 PM

Thumb Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by zickZackMann View Post
Well I did, but there is no information on this and no timeframe for a release. I chose not to ask there, because I didn't want to hold back the devs.

On their forums, there is a topic about the developement, but people just post information about the player there and its hard to tell how far they are, because the whole discussion is highly technical.
exactly what I had thought... yeah...

is there anyone around who understands what they are talking about in the dev forum? How far along are them? 10%? 50%? 99.9%?

also is there anything us average joes can to to help (besides donating)?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There is no percentage, no timeframe, no teddybears, no lollypops. It will be ready when it's ready.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 AM

no lollypops?!?!?!

Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201d View Post
exactly what I had thought... yeah...
is there anyone around who understands what they are talking about in the dev forum? How far along are them? 10%? 50%? 99.9%?
Well, like I said, they are still in the preliminary investigation and experimentation phase. This means they are still trying to figure out the structure of the boot loader and factory firmware and identify all the different bits of hardware. Until this phase is complete they can't even really start porting rockbox. So percent complete is pretty close to 0%. And there's really no way to know how long this phase will take. If/when they get through this part and actually start porting rockbox, it will probably go a little quicker and we should be able to get some sense of percent complete. Until then, it takes as long as it takes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201d View Post
also is there anything us average joes can to to help (besides donating)?
Not really. A donation would always be appreciated, but keep in mind that you would be donating to rockbox in general and not specifically to the Fuze port.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 AM

thanx!